World Cup Bragging Rights

Spain is blaming Iker Casillas’s girlfriend for their Swiss loss!  Starting to sound like a pattern.  guardian.co.uk/football/2010 … witzerland

What’s France’s excuse?

I like watching it but will only care if the USA wins it all so I can say how much I loved it all along and how great the USA is at soccer. 

It’s the American way.

Well, it might surprise you but this canadian also likes the USA team.  They are a good underdog team to watch.  

Sorry MiG but I had to bring back this quote:

I guess you meant that they will bomb in the NEXT Round :wink:

And I didn’t think Drogba would be allowed to play with a cast but I was wrong.  As far as appropriate or not, if it is allowed by FIFA than who cares. Aren’t FIFA rules like the bible or something?

And for the record, having French as mother tongue doesn’t automatically qualify me as a fan of les Bleus.  I like them when Zidane, Henry, and Trezeguet were regulars on the team.   Now, well, you saw today’s result!

But they do speak French in the Ivory Coast :smile:.

Law 4:  “A player must not use equipment or wear anything that is dangerous to himself or another player (including any kind of jewellery).”

In the past, players weren’t allowed to wear casts.  How would you like to go up for a header and have his arm come down on your head?

This is how American football’s equipment evolved.  

In this case, the local referee ignored the rule and allowed Drogba on the field.  Most referees wouldn’t.  The same referee insisted a Portuguese player remove a leather wristband.

Well, Portugal has to find an excuse for the scoreless draw so they complain after the game.  It’s too bad Drogba didn’t score with the ball hitting his cast, because the crying from the other team would have surely been noiser than those darn trumpets!

That was quite the game!  I loved watching Spain and their pin-point accuracy with passing.  Too bad they couldn’t score, they had some good chances.

Um they complained before the game.  

I can understand why you would want him to score with his arm, though.  You, know for French global unity and all that.  

But hey, lots of free pizza in Ireland tonight!  Me, I’m having Dos Equis and Tacos, but then again, I have that every night!

I am not a soccer fan so correct me if I am wrong.

In hockey when a team is a goal down in the last few minutes the pace picks up and the losing team makes end to end rushes, quick outlet passes etc.

In football, they don’t huddle.

In basketball, they don’t spend a lot of time on setting up plays.

In the extra time of the Nigeria/Greece game, the Nigerians had a goal kick and the goalie seemed to think he had all the time in the world.

Do they know how to be desperate or am I missing something?

That’s why he’s the backup goalkeeper.  :smile:

No seriously, the game was lost.  No way they were going to score 2 goals in a minute or so, especially with a man down. 

Maybe he also knew that Nigeria plays South Korea next, and a convincing win against them might still see Nigeria qualify.  Especially since Greece plays Argentina next. 

In case of a Group Stage tie, the goal differential is the first tie-breaker.  Greece is at -1, and Nigeria is at -2.  So they just have to score one more goal than Greece does in their next match to have a chance at qualifying.

Or maybe he was just lazy.

Blame it on the ball.  They all seem to hate that too.

Sorry but language global unity might be why you like Brazil so much but it doesn’t work like that for everyone.  

BTW, I too had free pizza tonight.

World cup Nicknames: associatedcontent.com/articl … ntrys.html

[quote=“BigThumb”]
Sorry but language global unity might be why you like Brazil so much but it doesn’t work like that for everyone.  [/quote]

Oh, you wanted him to use his hand to score a goal, but it wasn’t because he spoke French.  I get it.

I like Brazil because their best players play on my favourite team.  

Man I wish I was that lucky at real fishing!

I’ve got to HAND it to you, BigThumb, you have me in the palm of your hand.  

But I’ve been using French lures all evening.  They are very HANDy.  ARMed with them, I was able to to give you a helping HAND as well.

Anyway, I’m glad Henry was on hand today to witness the defeat of Labatt’s Bleus.  Too bad he was sitting on his hands instead of scoring with them.

(Ok those are bad.  I need some better Henry jokes.)

One could say he had idle hands.

Those play on words are awful!  

Kidding aside, Argentina looked pretty good today.  Messi was awesome at setting up and Higuain, well, just stellar.  

Kidding back on.  Higuain was born in France and he scored without his hands.

Yes, but he plays for Real Madrid, so he’s ok.  Unlike Messi, who plays for Barcelona (spit!).  Oh coincidence, so does Henry! 

All the cool French players go to Madrid, not Barca :smile: 

The ref in the USA vs Slovenia game was terrible, just terrible.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76069/germany.gif

I like this one better…

Tit for tat MiG :smile:

Yes, the ref made horrible call in the USA-Slovenia game.  No offsides, clutch and grab from the Slovens clearly visible.  What did he call?  No one seems to know exactly why he used his whistle. 

Time for video replays on close calls!