World Cup Bragging Rights

Hahaha!

It’s fricken loud for sure, but I haven’t seen any empty seats at games yet.

The problem is that it’s constant.  I’m sure at times the Bernabeu, Camp Nou, or Old Trafford are louder than these South African stadiums.   But it’s in reaction to the game, not a constant drone.  

I’ve been in a Portuguese stadium that was so loud that it wasn’t possible to hear someone next to me speak.  No horns required.  But I’ve also heard 50 thousand spectators absolutely silent in response to a single kick.  

It would be ok if they blew the horns when a goal was scored or whatever.  But for 90 minutes…

Reminder:  Still not too late to join dwhite’s World Cup pool.  Early days yet, and nobody (except dwhite himself!) has much of a lead.

us.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com/wo … join-group
The league ID is 32007 and the password is htmf

and then bookmark this:  us.wc.fantasysports.yahoo.com/wo … 2007  to check your picks and edit them.

You can edit your picks as often as you want, all the way up to 5 minutes before each match starts.

Interesting interpretation of yesterday’s draw between the USA and England.

mediaite.com/print/only-the- … cup-cover/

I think that the vuvuzuelas are prety much ruining the world cup for everyone .

It makes me go insane and prety much wont watch a single game now how irratating

Meanwhile, back in Paris, a man was so mad at the way France played he could have head butted somone!

g.ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/wor … idane.html

those horns… :confused: I watched some of the game yesterday on “MUTE”.

Well FIFA noticed:
businessweek.com/news/2010-0 … ate2-.html

They decided not to ban the horns.  I don’t think the ban would have been a solution anyway.  But I think that South African fans should realize that the world is watching but no one can hear a thing and they should maybe keep their horn blowing for important moments in the game.  My guess is that it is quite a party in the stands and it would be probably very easy to get caught in the moment.  I’m just wondering how much of the game some of them see :wink:

What has to hapen, is people that don’t want the vuvuzuelas, have to buy a few , go to the games, and throw them on the field,  then they will get banned.

Um, the horns aren’t keeping people from attending the matches.  Those were tickets that were sold, but the fans didn’t show up.  Apparently because of a problem with the bus system?  

If anything, maybe banning noisemakers would keep local fans from showing up.

Also, secretworldcupfan is in second place in the pool.  I know who you are!  Congrats!

I love the Vuvuzuelas… now that I know what they are.  I downloaded Pocket Vuvu for my iPhone yesterday, and will play it loud and proud… just to piss people off!!  hahaha

They’re singing Blame Canada in England, seems that the ill fated goal tender Mr. Green, he of the fumbling fingers, recently broke up with his Canadian girlfriend an apparent lingerie model of some repute.

Damn colonials and their temptress women!!

sports.nationalpost.com/2010/06/ … rformance/

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … s-ago.html

Just watched Brazil vs North Korea.  I wasn’t aware North Koreans could afford soccer balls.  They managed to score though.  Here’s a nice link I found too.

Goals Recreated with Legos

Ole, Ole, Ole Oh Oh…

Yikes who saw that result coming, the understated moment of this match when the announcer said “Spain usually scores three goals a game in World cup play, but not on this day”.

Sure changes some of the dynamic of this who knew that North Korea had more offensive punch that Espagnol! :smiley:

Well in our Yahoo pool 1% of the people did pick Switzerland and another 2% picked a tie. 

I’m wondering what Federer will say to Nadal when they meet up next.  Not sure about Federer but Nadal is a huge soccer fan.

Messi who?  Higuaín!  Higuaín!  Higuaín!

yeah no kiddin’ quite the World Cup showcase for that fella at the moment.  Memo to South Korea, defence means getting the ball out of your own end not into your own net!

N+1 has a nice (short) summary of each team:  

nplusonemag.com/world-cup-preview

“Raymond Domenech does not win the Craziest Coach Award, due to the existence of Argentina’s Diego Maradona. Domenech once dropped a player because of the player’s astrological sign.”

heehee and

“The Portuguese team includes several naturalized Brazilians who aren’t good enough to play for Brazil. They are led by Cristiano Ronaldo, a native of Portugal who wears too much hair gel. There are only two acceptable reasons for liking Ronaldo: either you find him sexually attractive, or you are Portuguese.”

Stephen Brunt of the globe (one of my favourite writers) has an analysis of some of the happenings of the last few days, I enjoyed his turn of phrase of describing Maradona as follows:

“Same with Diego Maradona’s Argentina, though there were enough nervous moments in its 1-0 opening victory over Nigeria to raise questions about how it’ll do when the going gets tougher, especially with an idiot savant at the helm.”

theglobeandmail.com/sports/s … le1606780/

A couple of photos for you, BigThumb.

I don’t think it was appropriate to allow a player to play with a cast, either.  But hey, at least he wasn’t French.  I guess today is another Cinco de Mayo!

Viva mexico, viva Viva! :smiley:

Just a tad ironic that a controversial play should sow the seeds of what should now be France’s exit from the World Cup quest. :imp:

Karma can be so fickle…  :wink:

Beyond that, France looked horrible in both games, indicative of the disarray that their football program seems to be in,  perhaps fate should have intervened a few months back to save  them from such a sad display