World Cup Bragging Rights

Well, I think it was clear to me that one US player was offside, but that’s not what was called. 

Oh well…England played to a draw against Algeria so the USA is still in it if they beat Algeria when they play them.

England is playing horribly.  I thought Rooney was supposed to be a soccer god or something.

I’d like to see a screeshot with you explaining this.  Clear doesn’t seem to have the same meaning for the assistant referee as his flag wasn’t raised.

So do you know what was called?  Seems to be a mystery for a lot of people. 
It seems FIFA is also looking into this mystery:  alturl.com/zj2n

I agree it was a shitty call.

A player is in an offside position if he is closer to the goal than the second-last opponent, at the time the ball is kicked.  The video shows that one American player is offside.

Remember, any part of the player can be considered offside: his head, his chest, a foot.  I think the rule is any part of the body that can be used to score a goal.  Arms and hands don’t count in offsides, unless you’re French-speaking.

If you look at the video and pause the replay at the point that the free kick is taken, you’ll see a player slightly offside.  The fact that the flag doesn’t go up just means that the assistant didn’t see it. So what?  He called an offside earlier that clearly wasn’t.  Even the commentator says “oh no! it’s offside!” at the beginning of the video above.

They apparently didn’t see all the holding and tugging either.  It was clear to me, cause I watched it in HD :smile:

Personally, I would have forced Donovan to retake the shot, as there was interference from both sides.  If the Referee had indicated offside, I don’t think the Americans would be whining as much.

Here are the screen captures from the video above, click to enlarge.  

MiG, your analysis, despite the poor ad hominem attempt,  seems very convincing.

Except for one thing:  Error of parallax!  All the view points from your pics show a view point that isn’t in line with the imaginary offside line.  The assistant referee was in line with it and he didn’t raise his flag so it was not as clear as you think.  

Furthermore, look at the video again on the link at the bottom and pause it at 0:18 which is the moment of ball contact for this clip.  Take a good look at the white shirt defender on top of the screen and look at his leg.  You will see that the USA player’s head that you pointed at isn’t passed the defender’s leg and that even with the slight parallax error from the camera’s point of view.  

Pause it at 0:29 where the camera is almost at the correct angle and study the leg of the player on top ( behind the score) and the head of the USA player.  Now tell me that this was clearly offside!  

Finally, watch between 0:33 and 0:35 and (notice the nice embrace around the USA player) try to see if his head is clearly past the last defender (not the one holding him, but the other).

Admit it, the assistant referee made the right choice by not raising his flag because there was no offside there!   The USA should have won that game.  

iviewtube.com/videos/157356/ … sides-call

Also,  Henry didn’t score with his hand.  He wasn’t even the scorer of that goal.  Another big referee mistake that could have been solved by a video replay.  

FIFA needs to enter the 21st Century!  

[quote=“BigThumb”]
MiG, your analysis, despite the poor ad hominem attempt,  seems very convincing. [/quote]

I thought it was a very good ad hominem … not poor at all.  French/Handball jokes just keep on giving!

[quote]
Except for one thing:  Error of parallax!  All the view points from your pics show a view point that isn’t in line with the imaginary offside line.  The assistant referee was in line with it and he didn’t raise his flag so it was not as clear as you think. [/quote]

I didn’t say it was clear to the assistant, I said it was clear to me.

Show me the views you’re talking about, I couldn’t see them – no video loads on that page for me.  Take a screenshot?

I’m more than willing to revise my opinion, but from the evidence I’ve seen, he’s offside.

I’ll repeat what I said earlier:  I agree it was a bad call by the referee.  The USA should have won.  But I still see an offside.

Yes, but it makes for good trolling.  Would that be considered a hand-line fishery?

Ok, never mind, I got it to load.

[quote=“BigThumb”]
Pause it at 0:29 where the camera is almost at the correct angle and study the leg of the player on top ( behind the score) and the head of the USA player.  Now tell me that this was clearly offside!   [/quote]

It’s not clear to me from this angle. Here’s the screen capture, with a line (not perfect).  It’s not the head that’s offside, by the way.  But you can’t really see the Slovenian defender’s foot because of the graphic.

[quote]
Finally, watch between 0:33 and 0:35 and (notice the nice embrace around the USA player) try to see if his head is clearly past the last defender (not the one holding him, but the other).[/quote]

Error of parallax!

Also, I shouldn’t be the one digging up evidence for you.  Surely you know how to do a screenshot!!  Come on! 

FIFA BigThumb needs to enter the 21st Century! 

You can’t see the foot but unless the sloven has a difformed leg, you can tell that it would certainly be on the line that you drew for us.  

Well I barely suggested that I would like to see a screenshot and you went all out.  So it was easy to just post the link and have you do the work.  

That is true 21st Century mastery of technology: let the other guy do the work for you and then win the argument against him! :smiley:

Ok, BigThumb, I put my hands up (get it?).  You’re right.  It’s not clear at all that the bald guy is offside.

Henry’s hand actually went down. :wink:

looked onside to me,

Regarding those pictures, you show the ball being struck by donovans foot, hence the bald guy could move past at that moment

Yikes if all these upsets keep coming along we’re gonna see a Greece/ Slovenia final, that’ll be a barn burner! :smiley:

Actually, I think it was a bee.

Kaka getting a red card and being sent off was absolutely astonishing.  How do they get away with taking this many dives and so often too?  It doesn’t even seem like the ref sees it most of the time and just runs in afterward and throws up a card.

FIFA needs instant replay and it needs it now.  Make it like NFL rules where you’re only allowed so many to a team.  Things are just getting way too out of hand.

7-0.

That is all.

Well that’s all well and good for Portugal’s self esteem and World Cup aspirations, but you realize by filling the net the world is now closer to a nuclear temper tantrum, how do you think ole Dear Leader is going to react to such a drubbing.

Thanks Portugal, we’re all doomed now!

On a different note, I think I finally figured out why all the South African doctors arrive in Prince Rupert, sheesh that looked like Seafest Saturday out there today with the torrents of rain.

Relocating here must seem like old home week for those that come from the Cape Town area!

Heh-heh.  :smiley:

a-hoh-hoh-hoh!

MiG,  I think you were a little too cautious with your favorite team.  Boy did they ever show up for this game!  7-0 at the group stage!  Canada should be in the asian group.  Maybe they would have done better than North Korea.

Honduras was the 3rd best in the North American division.  And they were shit.  The posts and cross-bar did a better job of defending against Spain.  Canada should definitely have qualified.