Wolf kill Kloya Bay

WHY ARE YOU SHOUTING?

Don’t take anything you read on HTMF seriously.

WHO’S SHOUTING?

…WHAT?

turns up the volume

Oooh. I see.

Ain’t that the truth! Lotsa bullshit, some good debates, even the odd person trying to find a home. All in good fun.

Wait-late to the debate-I used to think shooting animals for fun and profit was wrong, and then I tasted things like Moose and Elk for my first time-now I’m all for the killing, because they’re mighty tasty. They probably run over more Moose in a year in Nfld then I could ever shoot here(someone, find me some stats!!), even with a helo and a large caliber semi automatic rifle mounted on a tripod. And night vision goggles. And spraying horny girl moose scent on things, like saltlicks.

Why is is ok to kill a moose or a deer (or a pig for that matter), but not a wolf or a horse? Curious to see if I can get any serious replies on this one.

Hi Nixie5

I think the reason I get bent out of shape regarding wolf’s being killed or being a problem in city limits is the unfair treatment of these beautiful animals. Through out history wolf’s been hunted under the pretence of being a human killer or killing live stock such as beef. These animals have been hunted to the brink of extinction in many parts of the world.
Yellowstone Park introduced these animals and again the farmers in the area have killed most of them already. There have been only a few times in history were wolf’s have killed people. Thousands of people die from domestic dogs; you don’t see a dog bounty do you.

We live in the wilds, we are surrounded by thousand of miles of forest, this is not the lower mainland with a population close to 5 million people, wild life will come through town, Deer, wolves, bear, bobcats, racoons or what ever.
We are emproching on there homes its not the other way around and we can live co exciting if we want. But no we need to feel more empowered over lower life forms on this planet and bring out our guns and shoot the animal trespassers.

Okay, serious answer. Generally speaking, herbivores have a better taste as they eat mild things like grasses and leaves and berries. Herbivores are also more plentiful because they derive their nutrients from lower in the food chain (directly from the producers). Wolves are carnivores. The flesh of the carnivore is usually gamier and tougher. I’m not sure if this is because of what they eat or their activities or what. Because carnivores eat from a higher position in the food chain, they must eat more per kilogram of body weight to grow and maintain their health than the herbivores do. As a result of this, the numbers of carnivores are much lower than herbivores. This lower population and the taste thing is the reason why wolves are not hunted for food.

Horses on the other hand, I don’t know. Some people eat them, some people don’t. I’m not sure why we have a cultural prohibition against eating horses, but we do.

How was that?

Moose, deer, pig, cows and other such animals should only be killed for food purposes. I have been a moose hunter since I was about 14 years old and I really had a hard time with it in the beginning. I felt awfully bad for killing something. Then I was in biology class one day and my biology teacher said something that changed my outlook forever. Every living thing must eat other living things to survive. Whether it is a plant or animal it is necessary for our existence that we do this to survive. We are part of the food chain whether we like it or not. Safeway is less than a hundred years old and although most people prefer to buy their food already prepared, some people still like to do it the way that has been done for centuries.

I am an admirer of wolves but I support killing them for control measures. They are predatory and in large numbers. In order to protect other species of animal I think that a wolf kill is needed from time to time so that the balance is not disrupted.

[quote=“Illywhacker”]

Okay, serious answer. Generally speaking, herbivores have a better taste as they eat mild things like grasses and leaves and berries. Herbivores are also more plentiful because they derive their nutrients from lower in the food chain (directly from the producers). Wolves are carnivores. The flesh of the carnivore is usually gamier and tougher. I’m not sure if this is because of what they eat or their activities or what. Because carnivores eat from a higher position in the food chain, they must eat more per kilogram of body weight to grow and maintain their health than the herbivores do. As a result of this, the numbers of carnivores are much lower than herbivores. This lower population and the taste thing is the reason why wolves are not hunted for food.

Horses on the other hand, I don’t know. Some people eat them, some people don’t. I’m not sure why we have a cultural prohibition against eating horses, but we do.

How was that?[/quote]

I agree with you on some points here to but nature is out of wack…what do I mean, before man there were wolves, deer, moose, samon, sea lions, seals were all in balance… See we say we need to kill the seals to many of them there eating all the samon… BULLSHIT… we human’s killed off most of the samon…poor seals didnt do anything
too many wolves not enough deer lets kill them off …again BULLSHIT…
We screwed up the food chain… for thousands of years the wolves didnt eat all the deer or moose also the sea lions and seals didnt eat all the samon. Again we like to be too much in controll of everything and nature has a way of dealing with animal over population. rabbits have been known to kill them selves when becoming over populated in an small area.
or virus’s have killed area’s were it has become over populated with one kind of animal or starved to death. Nature has a way, soon it will be our turn Influenza or a new strain of ebola, Hantavirus or a man made virus will take care of us… not all most millions of us…I pray for that day… :smiling_imp:

In some places, it’s MORE than alright to eat horse. France?? Can’t get enough of the stuff. Korea?? Dog is pretty tasty. Short answer-people don’t like eating their pets.

And ask Ireland about killing wolves.

And then ask Australia about mucking around with animal population control.

[quote=“fingahz”]

Moose, deer, pig, cows and other such animals should only be killed for food purposes. I have been a moose hunter since I was about 14 years old and I really had a hard time with it in the beginning. I felt awfully bad for killing something. Then I was in biology class one day and my biology teacher said something that changed my outlook forever. ** Every living thing must eat other living things to survive. ** Whether it is a plant or animal it is necessary for our existence that we do this to survive. We are part of the food chain whether we like it or not. Safeway is less than a hundred years old and although most people prefer to buy their food already prepared, some people still like to do it the way that has been done for centuries.

I am an admirer of wolves but I support killing them for control measures. They are predatory and in large numbers. In order to protect other species of animal I think that a wolf kill is needed from time to time so that the balance is not disrupted.[/quote]

You’re forgetting photosynthetic autotrophs. But I’ll let it slide I guess.

[quote=“Astrothug”]

How was that?

I agree with you on some points here to but nature is out of wack…what do I mean, before man there were wolves, deer, moose, samon, sea lions, seals were all in balance… See we say we need to kill the seals to many of them there eating all the samon… BULLSHIT… we human’s killed off most of the samon…poor seals didnt do anything
We screwed up the food chain… for thousands of years the wolves didnt eat all the deer or moose also the sea lions and seals didnt eat all the samon. Again we like to be too much in controll of everything and nature has a way of dealing with animal over population. rabbits have been known to kill them selves when becoming over populated in an small area.
or virus’s have killed area’s were it has become over populated with one kind of animal or starved to death. Nature has a way, soon it will be our turn Influenza or a new strain of ebola, Hantavirus or a man made virus will take care of us… not all most millions of us…I pray for that day… :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Hey, man, it’s either us or them! Like Troy McClure said, if the cows were smart enough and strong enough to eat humans, they would.

So what’s it going to be? Yer either with us, or yer agin us! :angry:

[quote=“poolboy”]

How was that?

or virus’s have killed area’s were it has become over populated with one kind of animal or starved to death. Nature has a way, soon it will be our turn Influenza or a new strain of ebola, Hantavirus or a man made virus will take care of us… not all most millions of us…I pray for that day… :smiling_imp:

Hey, man, it’s either us or them! Like Troy McClure said, if the cows were smart enough and strong enough to eat humans, they would.

So what’s it going to be? Yer either with us, or yer agin us! :angry:[/quote]

LOL there is no us against them its us against everything and Im with them.

One thing that most people who are against hunting fail to understand is that it is, in fact, necessary. Animals such as deer and moose rely on naturally growing foliage to survive. The amount of foliage out there is only enough to sustain a limited number of animals. The number of animals out there do not stay limited naturally–births always outnumber deaths. Therefore, without hunters (there aren’t enough other natural predators out there to control the population), the population of deer, moose, elk, etc will grow to amounts that the foliage will be unable to support. As such, the amount of foliage will decrease, ultimately starving out the animals.

Hunting solves this problem. It allows people to take a limited number of animals at regulated times of the year. It allows people to feed their families, and keeps the ecosystem balanced.

Remember, humans are part of the food chain, as has been pointed out.

You’re absolutely right, Stardog. We are part of the food chain. Personally, I’m too much of a sweetheart to kill anything except bugs (I know: what a bully). I hate bugs.

The only hunting I do is at Safeway which, when you factor in all the costs hunting entails, is probably cheaper, so I don’t really buy the “feeding my family” nonsense.

Just say you like to kill. It’s alright.

Interesting topic going here. I have hunted in the past.

I have hunted for cheaper chicken at safeway, also hunted for Deer; but not in Prince Rupert, hunted for Grouse which taste very good in a stew.

It all depends where you live, which country; then you could decide weather it’s killing or hunting. But in Canada, it’s hunting for now.

:smiley:

like I have said before its going to be our turn, we dont know when but its going to happen !!!
today on cnn there talking about 142 million people could die with a new influenza out break. http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/conditions/02/15/birdflu.cost/index.html

If cows were “smarter and stronger” they would eat humans? I don’t think that preying on other animals has anything to do with intelligence. In fact, humans would be smarter to eat less meat. (This isn’t just my opinion - any nutritionist would back me up.)

The notion that humans are innately better than all other species, and and that we have the right to use up and abuse them for profit or amusement is simply incorrect. We all share this planet, and being more powerful clearly doesn’t make us smarter. The smart thing to do would be to figure out how to live on this planet in peace and harmony with our fellow animals and plants.

Balance is key. I’m not saying that no one should hunt for food at all, but let’s look back on our history. When Europeans first arrived in BC, they hunted sea otters brutally and very nearly to extinction for furs to sell in Asia. The same scenario has played itself out over and over worldwide throughout history. The Seal Hunt is a current example of human greed and lack of forsight.

One more thing: when people speak of the “cost” of shopping at Safeway for meat being cheaper than hunting they are obviously only thinking about the immediate finacial cost to themselves. What about the devastating cost of shopping at large chains to small markets? Not to mention the environmental and ethical costs of the factory farms that supply most of Safeway’s meat. Hunting is less “expensive” hands down, with vegetarianism as the most socially and environmentally sound choice.

Let’s all try to think smart about of the true cost of rescources the next time we are tempted to look for the cheapest, easiest or most entertaining choices over those that will benefit our society and our beautiful coast.

[quote=“nixie5”]If cows were “smarter and stronger” they would eat humans? I don’t think that preying on other animals has anything to do with intelligence. In fact, humans would be smarter to eat less meat. (This isn’t just my opinion - any nutritionist would back me up.)

The notion that humans are innately better than all other species, and and that we have the right to use up and abuse them for profit or amusement is simply incorrect. We all share this planet, and being more powerful clearly doesn’t make us smarter. The smart thing to do would be to figure out how to live on this planet in peace and harmony with our fellow animals and plants.

Balance is key. I’m not saying that no one should hunt for food at all, but let’s look back on our history. When Europeans first arrived in BC, they hunted sea otters brutally and very nearly to extinction for furs to sell in Asia. The same scenario has played itself out over and over worldwide throughout history. The Seal Hunt is a current example of human greed and lack of forsight.

One more thing: when people speak of the “cost” of shopping at Safeway for meat being cheaper than hunting they are obviously only thinking about the immediate finacial cost to themselves. What about the devastating cost of shopping at large chains to small markets? Not to mention the environmental and ethical costs of the factory farms that supply most of Safeway’s meat. Hunting is less “expensive” hands down, with vegetarianism as the most socially and environmentally sound choice.

Let’s all try to think smart about of the true cost of rescources the next time we are tempted to look for the cheapest, easiest or most entertaining choices over those that will benefit our society and our beautiful coast.[/quote]

Uh, the claims against the seal hunt have been debunked a thousand times over (Greenpeace still uses the photos of the harp seal being clubbed even though it has long been illegal!); it’s like belonging to the Flat Earth Society.

And, come on: vegetarian? Man is a carnivore. It’s what nature made us. Plus, 90 per cent of vegetarians look like they’re dying of something - get a burger, you pussies!

Actually you have in backwards. Being smarter definitely makes us more powerful. Sometimes I wonder if man is too smart for his/her (political correctness) good. I know that this is a little off topic but just look at Iran and their nuclear program. With all of the good that human intelligence can create it can also create a whole lotta ugly. We have the ability to change and also preserve nature. Sometimes we can have a god complex and try to dictate nature and the natural process. I do believe that it is better to err on the side of caution rather than to allow entire species to be threatened.

I agree with most of your post but I do think that although we may be able to eat less meat ( 9 out of 10 nutistionists agree :smiley: ) we do need to have a healthy protein intake. What a better way to get it then by eating a naturally fed animal like a moose or deer.