Why does Rupert look so run down?

they’ll be plenty of people here still

You have to shop when they have that spend 100$ get 100 airmiles.  Also paper products and certain things often give bonuses.  Yesterday I got over 300 Airmiles and a ticket to Vancouver is 950, so that is almost one third on one shop alone. 

Thanks for the info !  I never seem to need that many groceries all at the same time though…Have to adopt some kids  :smiley:

Part of the reason everything’s rotten and derelict here is the water.  My parents live back east and don’t have to pressure-wash their house 'cause  moss is growing on it or replace their roof every 15 years or mow the lawn every week for that matter.  People have only so much time and money, including the city.  Maybe if we used more durable materials up here, like aluminum, we wouldn’t have to see so much rot rust and rubble.

I get annoyed when people constantly bitch and complain about anything and everything around here.  I suppose you enjoy reading the constant negativity.  :neutral_face:

I miss the green slime from the coast… there’s people here who don’t even know what a slug is!
Moss… do they even sell powdered zinc anymore? Used to put that on the lawn so the moss didn’t kill all the grass.

Evidently !! 

You can earn AirMiles ANYWHERE in Rupert!!!  You just need to have them associated with your credit card.

Bank of Montreal lets you have it associated with your bank accounts too.

Ach !  I am at the wrong bank and have the wrong credit card.  Oh well, thanks though !  :neutral_face:

ya, me too…I collected 170 air miles yesterday. 70 of those miles were on a total of
$ 32.00 worth of paper products we all use everyday. You definately get the most air miles from shopping at safeway… I’m always getting my flights out of Rupert with my airmiles.

The paper products were $6.99 x 3 for 75  purex and paper towels but you must of got another deal…  yeah its great I love airmiles too…  glad you are airmiles wise… :smile:

I propose a new thread dealing with air mile accumulation techniques, and to try to focus this one on Rupert civic beautification!  lol…i mean haha.

… thanks for the impromptu moderation … perhaps the regular moderators booked off sick and snuck off to the tournament … Don’t think they went to the Owelympics … the only Rupertites I’ve heard of going there are security personnel.

Returning from sometimes lengthy absences I notice the housing renovations … perhaps that’s less noticeable if one is here all of the time. Renos seem to be a pretty significant homegrown industry that keeps some people busy … perhaps demonstrating that rather than waiting for the next boomtown scenario maybe there should be more focus on little businesses that are already here and not just on big businesses that might never come.

Are there civic awards, for instance, for having a nice yard? or for heritage house renovations? Some towns give out plaques and other salutations for things like that …  

Sometimes several houses in a row have been nicely fixed up … but scattered in between all too often are run-down shacks that detract from the quirky seaport ambiance of the place. I suspect that the cause of at least some of the dilapidation … truth be told … is that some absentee landlords are sucking every dime out of their tenants rather than investing in some paint and other repairs.

Instead of having the bylaw dept’s micro-van circling downtown endlessly handing out parking tickets, maybe it should be sent on expeditions or forays to the nether reaches of town looking for violators of the nuisance bylaws … and issue stern notices to recalcitrant owners warning of possible dire consequences if repairs are not made.  

As for public buildings and facilities, the civic centre still looks okay … but I wonder if public facilities generally are teetering rather precariously … just another cutback away from sliding into major decrepitude. So long as the city keeps giving every airport ferry passenger a $10 per trip subsidy from the taxpayers … to the tune of about $1million a year … I suspect that the city will having increasing difficulty keeping its facilities reasonably spruced up.

Yeah it’s always strange that the city doesn’t act on nuisance items until someone complains. In other cities those that clutter up their yards with junk or don’t take care of their property receive frequent visits from the bylaw officers, with frequent tickets and summons to follow.

So what happens if you see someone urinating and defecating in public?  I was waiting for my fella today in the Safeway parking lot and looked over towards the liquor store and lo and behold there were 3 guys.  One was pissing against the wall, the other taking a crap in front of the dumpster and the other was just zipping up and moving on.  All this, obviously in full view as there were a couple of teens walking through who seemed stunned to see this happening. I know this happens everywhere but WTF is wrong with people, there is a washroom right inside the store. Pigs, absolute pigs  :imp:  I really don’t know why stuff like this still irritates me, not like we all haven’t seen it before but WTF !!  Just venting, sorry  :blush:

Well I would suspect that they probably wouldn’t have been allowed to use the washroom in the store anyways, as for what to do. Call the cops, chances are that they are drunk in public and thus would be potential guests of the Queen.  Bonus points if the cops drive by when they’re providing presents beside the dumpster, would imagine there is some statute available for that kind of behavior.

the pissing ive seen lots but pooping thats being pretty drunk lol wtf !

I come back 'home ’ to Rupert for a week or so every couple of years  usually in the fall. It seems that nobody does care how their properties look or what the town looks like. We were surprised to see the ‘other side’ of this beautiful town. Intoxication, urinating in public and the lack of pride in this town. I realize that it happens to some extent in all communities but something should be done about as it sends out the wrong message to visitors…

I am getting confused as to what the topic is here, I guess the problem of the public intoxication does look bad for a community, but these people do not own any property to “run down”.

To me, the problem of the city looking run down has more to do with property owners.There are many reasons for not maintaining their property, and one point I don’t think can be overlooked is that the traditional concept of downtown and shopping in general has shifted from a down town type of situation, to big malls or strip malls. Prince Rupert has, for better or worse, fought this idea and people have been going to Terrace to get this shopping experience.

In tight economic times, sometimes it makes more sense to shop at the big box stores.