Shame on you Jennifer Rice!

Lashing out at people who are taking a careful look at this project is wrong.
I want to give you an example of the incompetence of Petronas. This Science Response from the Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat came out earlier this month on their website. Read it carefully and then maybe you will be glad, people like the NDP, the Lax kw’alaams and some of our remaining brave scientists (DFO and Dr. Faggetter) are willing to examine this project and speak out for us.
dfo-mpo.gc.ca/csas-sccs/Publ … 7-eng.html
This CSAS scathing critique of the model Petronas put in to convince us that there would be no risk to wild salmon,points out so many errors it makes me scared for Petronas’ competence generally.

For those of you who don’t like to wade through reports, here are some highlights describing the quality of the work PNW presented.
“There are several consequences resulting from this misrepresentation”
“the Skeena River discharges a total of 49.3 cubic kilometers of freshwater (Morrison et al, 2012). In contrast, the model predicts that about 3.6 cubic kilometres”
“The severe underrepresentation of the release of total suspended solids from the river”
“The modelling conducted uses winds much less than either of these known values.”
“The effect of extreme storms on morphology is modelled so that the minimal possible effect of the marine structures is tested, rather than cases where the marine structures can effect Flora Bank”
“In particular, the analysis only considers a storm propagation direction that orients the marine structures downstream from Flora Bank, thus making it essentially impossible for the marine structures to impact Flora Bank.”
“Notable errors in the model estimates for significant wave heights occur, sometimes by as much as 50%.”

No one is suggesting that this project go ahead at all costs. The federal environmental review will obviously take all factors into account. The proponent has also indicated a willingness to make adjustments to the plan in order to make it work. If they can do that then why not? It’s extreme attitudes that are the problem. A happy medium needs to be found that can stimulate the economy and protect the salmon habitat. I am optimistic that this can be found.

What do think Shame on Jen Rice means? It means this project should go ahead and be supported at all costs.
No future right to legislate against fracking. No anything. And did you read the Science Response to Petronas’ scientific defense of their project? These guys have billions of dollars-and this is the pathetic science they produce. This is such a huge complex project how can we trust that we have uncovered all their “errors”. The BC government already approved the environmental assessment - that says to me they want it at all costs. This should scare you.

You know, one has to wonder why she didn’t show up in the legislature for the debate and vote of last reading of the bill, especially when it directly effects the riding she represents.

Just makes her look really bad now.

Or maybe lose the nomination if someone within the riding association challenges her (if that’s possible).

While the party may end up with a new rep in Rupert NDP won’t be going anywhere
My cat could run and be elected under the NDP banner lol

[quote=“atsea”]

What do think Shame on Jen Rice means? It means this project should go ahead and be supported at all costs.
No future right to legislate against fracking. No anything. And did you read the Science Response to Petronas’ scientific defense of their project? These guys have billions of dollars-and this is the pathetic science they produce. This is such a huge complex project how can we trust that we have uncovered all their “errors”. The BC government already approved the environmental assessment - that says to me they want it at all costs. This should scare you.[/quote]

“Shame on Jennifer Rice” means 2 things for me. 1 she has done absolutely nothing in regards to offering any meaningful ideas for economic development for her riding. 2 I don’t care what her prior plans were when the final vote regarding LNG was done in the Legislature, she was elected to be the MLA for this region and to be present in the Legislature. Which shouldn’t be that difficult to do since the Legislature is not in session all the time. She has made herself present for photo-ops regarding port projects, though she has basically nothing to do with these projects. I looked at her expenses for the last fiscal year, she had $62k in travel expenses. How on earth did she spend $62k ?

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

No future right to legislate against fracking. No anything. And did you read the Science Response to Petronas’ scientific defense of their project? These guys have billions of dollars-and this is the pathetic science they produce. This is such a huge complex project how can we trust that we have uncovered all their “errors”. The BC government already approved the environmental assessment - that says to me they want it at all costs. This should scare you.

“Shame on Jennifer Rice” means 2 things for me. 1 she has done absolutely nothing in regards to offering any meaningful ideas for economic development for her riding. 2 I don’t care what her prior plans were when the final vote regarding LNG was done in the Legislature, she was elected to be the MLA for this region and to be present in the Legislature. Which shouldn’t be that difficult to do since the Legislature is not in session all the time. She has made herself present for photo-ops regarding port projects, though she has basically nothing to do with these projects. I looked at her expenses for the last fiscal year, she had $62k in travel expenses. How on earth did she spend $62k ?[/quote]

People knock the Liberals for waste but we got our share going on under the NDP and Rice too

[quote=“jamesbrown”]While the party may end up with a new rep in Rupert NDP won’t be going anywhere
My cat could run and be elected under the NDP banner lol[/quote]

The BC Liberals have won here before they can do it again…that being said I hope a new NDP rep runs and that she just steps down.

[quote=“atsea”]

No future right to legislate against fracking. No anything. And did you read the Science Response to Petronas’ scientific defense of their project? These guys have billions of dollars-and this is the pathetic science they produce. This is such a huge complex project how can we trust that we have uncovered all their “errors”. The BC government already approved the environmental assessment - that says to me they want it at all costs. This should scare you.[/quote]

The BC government is not the main environmental authority for this project. Their approval certificate is less complete than the federal review will be and touches on things with less detail except for items like socio- economic issues, and the need to obtain environmental approval. “AO is committed to working with the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (CEAA) to minimize duplication and to harmonize efforts wherever possible.”

eao.gov.bc.ca/federal_relations.html

Here is the list of conditions outlined from the provincial government:

a100.gov.bc.ca/appsdata/epic/doc … 832825.pdf

[quote=“bthedog”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]While the party may end up with a new rep in Rupert NDP won’t be going anywhere
My cat could run and be elected under the NDP banner lol[/quote]

The BC Liberals have won here before they can do it again…that being said I hope a new NDP rep runs and that she just steps down.[/quote]

If prosperity comes to Rupert in a way that satisfies the concerns of many, how can the NDP win here? The next election will be very interesting.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

The BC Liberals have won here before they can do it again…that being said I hope a new NDP rep runs and that she just steps down.

If prosperity comes to Rupert in a way that satisfies the concerns of many, how can the NDP win here? The next election will be very interesting.[/quote]

Yes in recent years Bill Belze (spelling) however under Christy Clark as leader I cannot see it happening again …
I don’t like either side provincially anymore I wish the province had a middle party…

here is a myth the NDP and Ms Rice like to tout around the media, the province is not getting enough money from the Petronas project. Hate to burst their bubbles but if you increase the amount of Natural Gas you pump out of the ground the BC Government gets more royalties hence more money, and then you add onto that the export tax the BC Government will add on, that is new money coming into the Government, now the NDP says the export tax not enough, I say it is too much, I Challenge any one that states the tax is not enough to list any other natural resource that we export that has an export tax, don’t bother here is the answer ZERO

If you really want to get rid of Jennifer Rice, consider joining the local NDP party. No, I am not crazy. If you join the NDP, then you can go to the candidate nominating meeting. Normally, if you have an elected representative, that person will get the nod to represent the party in the next election. However, I don’t think that the powers that be will put up much of a fuss, if there is a lot of people wanting someone else to run. Jennifer has not proven to be very effective. I suspect that John Horgan would be happy to cut her loose, if the locals indicated that she was not the preferred representative. However, I have not been able to find out anything about the local NDP party mandate or constitution on the internet so I might be wrong about the ability to nominate a different candidate. Perhaps someone can provide some information?

Incidentally, I remember hearing a rumour that Jennifer had signed up a bunch of people who then stacked the nomination meeting and got her nominated as the candidate. Apparently she pissed off a lot of the old guard Prince Rupert NDP who were appalled that she got nominated. As I said, it is just a rumor that I have never been able to confirm.

As one of the old guard, Stacking the voters is not a rumor, definitely true. She has proven to be a very ineffectual MLA, has reduced office hours, has changed office personnel several times, just loves to have her picture taken.

Indeed. I voted for Ms. Larson at the 2013 nomination meeting. I’ll be curious to see if Ms. Rice has a challenger at the 2017 nomination meeting.

Five Steps for A Good Confession

Examine your conscience.
Be sincerely sorry for your sins.
Confess your sins.
Resolve to amend your life.
After your confession do the penance the priest assigns.

hate to say this about stacked meetings, any candidate running for a party nomination has the chance to sign up members to vote for them at the nomination meetings, all parties will have a cut off date for those new members to be accepted to vote at the meeting, the candidate then tries to get all those they signed up to vote for them at the meetings, you can call it stacked if you want but it is perfectly legitimate. unfortunately for the NDP they got a candidate the pisses off not just the old guard but almost everyone in the riding, but yet they still got her elected. that would mean alot of the old guard NDP voted for her so they and us are stuck with her

Jabber63 - thanks for the observation.

I guess it would be fair to say that if your candidate wins - it is a stacked meeting. If my candidate wins - it is an exercise in democracy.

It will be interesting to see what the local NDP decides to do in the months preceding the next election.

Observations

1. jabber63 is most definitely correct about nomination meetings. Both Dix and Clark were accused of stacking meetings, voter registration irregularities etc when they won their party’s leadership race. As an aside, I have been a member of the NDP for one year, 2005/06, when I was asked by a Gary Coons supporter to join the party so I could help Gary get elected at the nomination meeting. I had no problem coughing up the ten bucks to help someone I thought would do a good job. I never attended another meeting, I never rejoined, and I have never spent a nickel in donations to the party. They know, however, that I will help out during campaigns which I did in 2005, 2009, and 2013. (I like to walk so mail drops are my specialty.) That is part of the reason for so called “stacking”, to get new people involved in the party especially at election time.

2. I found it interesting that pureheart, claiming to be part of the old guard, would come on a public forum and trash his party’s representative. If you are part of the old guard, I would suggest that you keep those criticisms in house as they will hardly help your party in the long run.