Shame on you Jennifer Rice!

As expected, Jennifer Rice is going to vote NO to the Petronas LNG deal…you know…the deal that is worth 36 billion, 5000 construction jobs, 330 permanent high paying jobs, skills training positions, 300+ direct spin-off jobs and tens of millions in local taxes for this region, and that is really just the tip of the iceberg (not to mention the economic impact this type of facility would provide to the commercial sector)…shame on you Jennifer Rice for trying to keep your electoral district in the gutter.

In the meantime, she offers up NO alternatives or solutions to improving the local economy.

I could be wrong but isnt that entire BC NDP party against LNG? I have very mixed feelings with certain aspects, but love it or hate it we need economic activity.

I wish she would fight for the social provisions and securing that the most work as possible be done local or at least by Canadians in general.

The NDP used to be a working mans party. Now they’re the Green Party. Nobody wants to harm Skeena salmon or the environment and development can be done responsibly. At no time in history has their been so much regard for the environment, the rights of others and social responsibility. Everyone expects jobs, health care, education, lower taxes, etc but you need to have an economy to be able to do that. The NDP could not give us what the Liberals are about to.

NDP are all voting no on the deal their reasons are, no guarantee of BCers getting the jobs, hate to say this but about 65% of the jobs will go to Canadians during the construction, point 2 for the NDP Liberals are giving away the resource by locking in the rates for the plant, again hate to say this but no plant no money coming into the treasury so who cares if the rate is low it is extra money, plus the government still gets more royalties coming in from the companies extracting the gas all that extra gas.
NDP used to stand for union jobs, but apparently they don’t want all these high paying union jobs during the construction phase, wonder how many unions will support them now, that is non-government unions that is, ie, building trade unions.

Very good points raised on this thread

I was told something like 500 permanent LNG plant jobs is this a reasonable ball park figure? No matter who it is that gets these jobs it has to be a positive for our city is it not. Also no idea the real number of the temporary construction jobs, what does it look like and 65% Canadian while not perfect is pretty great. The prices of homes and new development of higher end housing tells me growth is on the horizon and not “everyone” will be gone after construction

I see sawed back and forth but now it looks like it’s a go ? What could still road block this? I do hope environmental considerations surrounding salmon and other marine life don’t go unchecked. I am also upset at the lack of social housing but PR was to become a welfare town so dammed in some ways if we do this and dammed some ways if not. I am tired of the right and left views of the project no did christie get it all right no, but I do agree that NDP seems to be uninterested in well paid union work during construction and they provide no alternatives for economic activity.

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … ns-to.html

Direct quote above from Jennifer Rice. What a load of bullshit!

630 well paying jobs is a BAD DEAL for her community…
Millions upon millions of local taxes is a BAD DEAL for her community…
5000 construction jobs a BAD DEAL…
Billions invested right in our back yard…a BAD DEAL.

Only an absolute fool can live on the North Coast and call the economic impact this terminal would provide to this region a “BAD DEAL”…Jennifer Rice…pack your bags and move to Victoria…the rest of us up North want to get to work!

Jennifer Rice you are not standing up for me and you certainly are not standing up for Prince Rupert/Port Edward. SHAME ON YOU for following your party line (which is apparently anit-everything now), instead of standing up for the people who PUT YOU in office.

Nearly 15 years of NDP controlling this region and never have I seen a local MLA make such ridiculous statements in the legislature.

I am thoroughly disgusted and I hope many out there reading this are as well.

Anyone who supports this project should be thanking every Liberal voting electoral district outside of North Coast right now for giving them a majority government…otherwise this project would be dead in the water already.

[quote=“bthedog”]

Only an absolute fool can live on the North Coast and call the economic impact this terminal would provide to this region a “BAD DEAL”…Jennifer Rice…pack your bags and move to Victoria…the rest of us up North want to get to work!

Jennifer Rice you are not standing up for me and you certainly are not standing up for Prince Rupert/Port Edward. SHAME ON YOU for following your party line (which is apparently anit-everything now), instead of standing up for the people who PUT YOU in office.

Nearly 15 years of NDP controlling this region and never have I seen a local MLA make such ridiculous statements in the legislature.

I am thoroughly disgusted and I hope many out there reading this are as well.[/quote]

If only there was someplace on the internet where we might read more about the discussion in Victoria yesterday…

[quote=“CharlesMHays”]

I am thoroughly disgusted and I hope many out there reading this are as well.

If only there was someplace on the internet where we might read more about the discussion in Victoria yesterday…[/quote]

Here you go, sorry.

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … ns-to.html

Locals getting the jobs?

The NDP can make all the claims they want…the fact of the matter is it will take 630 jobs to run this facility and all of those will be in this region…whether people from out of town move here or not does not really matter. I highly doubt PR/PE area has enough local talent to fill all of these positions required…mainly due to lack of training/education…it is already hard for existing terminals to source local trades people for their own purposes…that is why all of them often advertise jobs outside of the North Coast and have to recruit people who have the training and skills required. If locals want to be employed, they need to get themselves trained in the trade fields that are going to be required for this industry (or any industry currently here already).

Regardless, those people filling those jobs WILL live here and contribute to the local taxes/housing market/clothing stores/restaurants ect ect…the ripple effects will be felt here in a big way in the commercial sector and beyond. Don’t forget the infrastructure improvements that would also come with a project like this.

The taxes being paid to municipal governments here will still be substantial, regardless of what they are paying provincially & federally (which is in no way “low”)…and besides the alternative is no local taxes being paid at all, and no investment…we gain nothing.

The 5000 construction jobs, CLEARLY will be filled by people from across the country, so this is nothing new…these jobs are temporary and will be filled by temporary residents…that is something that has been known since the inception of this project. Regardless, even if 1/3 of these workers come into Prince Rupert or live in Prince Rupert for the 5-year construction period, the temporary economic impact would be enormous for local businesses.

To make it seem like this terminal would barely impact our economy or is somehow a “bad deal” for the North Coast is ludicrous and total bullshit politicking.

^This^

Nothing more than negative NDP spin. In 2016 we need to elect an MP that will work for us, not against us.

“… a simple call or email to Pacific NorthWest LNG would have brought the following comment: “Our first priority is to hire as many local workers as possible … the numbers included in the BC EAO submission are conservative models assuming multiple projects are under construction at the same time as our project”.”

thenorthernview.com/opinion/285973511.html

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Nothing more than negative NDP spin. In 2016 we need to elect an MP that will work for us, not against us.

“… a simple call or email to Pacific NorthWest LNG would have brought the following comment: “Our first priority is to hire as many local workers as possible … the numbers included in the BC EAO submission are conservative models assuming multiple projects are under construction at the same time as our project”.”

thenorthernview.com/opinion/285973511.html[/quote]

Completely agree.

Go ask all of the people up in the Peace who are currently working directly because of this terminal proposal…this project is already employ a ton of British Columbians and has been for a few years. Locals in Prince Rupert are already working for PNW LNG in the city.

Jennifer Rice is a sell out to her constituents. All she has done is present herself in photo-ops on projects she has had no hands in.

bthedog the construction jobs are not just out of town or province they are out of country, you are wrong to think they will be hiring local Canadians the majority of workers will be coming from other countries this is right out of Kristy Clark’s mouth numerous times she has said this. and now are illustrious leader Stephen Harper is trying to fast step the oil pipelines.

Something taken completely out of context that is being used to try and discredit our premier. You are grasping at straws.

““We believe that British Columbians have to be first in line for these jobs, but it’s also true that there will be some need for some temporary workers to come in and support these projects when there are peaks in production and construction because we simply don’t have enough people,” said Clark.”

m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/6077862

It’s fair to think that if all of these proposed LNG facilities are constructed at or around the same time that there may be a skilled labour shortage. So in order to keep the ball rolling temporary foreign workers may be needed. If you seriously believe that our premier will allo preference to be given to foreign workers then you’re on glue.

A February 2014 consulting engineers’ report says “Canadian workers will account for 70 per cent of the onsite workforce for the first three years of construction. Due to competition from labour from other projects, Canadian workers may account for 30 per cent of the onsite workforce for the remaining two years of construction.”

What’s your point? All that is, is speculation. If after 3 years there is a shortage of Canadian labour because of other projects that would mean the economy is doing well, and no one can determine what is going to happen in 3 years time. Also what’s stopping Canadians from getting trained in the labour trades?

“B.C. Federation of Labour President Jim Sinclair and B.C. Building Trades Council executive director Tom Sigurdson emerged from a closed-door meeting Monday with Clark saying jobs trump politics when it comes to developing and securing B.C.'s LNG opportunity.”

m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/3896154

“Labour leaders admitted today that a recent liquified natural gas meeting with Premier Christy Clark was “surreal,” and praised the government they opposed only months ago in the provincial election.”

m.thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/2013/ … Committee/

“Temporary Foreign Workers
With these new hurdles put in place for training welders, the prospect of using temporary foreign workers for LNG projects doesn’t seem so far-fetched.”

watershedsentinel.ca/content … lding-jobs

straight.com/news/488211/mar … on-big-oil

I am not trying to ruffle feathers but the above article is a real condemnation of the legislation including the speed in which it is being debated and passed.

So now I am wondering: At what point does a good deal for Prince Rupert trump a bad deal for the province. Or put another way. At what point does a bad deal become worse than no deal at all. (Many Americans are arguing that over the Iran/nuclear agreement.)

Nobody at all can argue that this deal is the expectations for the province that the Liberals promised. But it is something and it will be a boon for Prince Rupert.

A lot of people in this town are heavily invested in the success of this project. And I don’t mean financially. Any of us who have lived here for - say - the past 20+ years want so badly for this town to regain some of its economic strength, to regain its tax base, to improve its infrastructure etc. It is really hard to divorce ourselves from the emotion we feel for this town.

If the legislation were about an LNG terminal in Powell River, I would probably be saying “typical Liberal incompetence” and shrugging off Powell River.

I can’t do that here - well, i can the incompetence part, but not the shrugging off. Intellectually I am totally conflicted.

And does anybody remember this. I don’t.

vancouversun.com/opinion/col … story.html