Re: Extra Foods to No Frills

A close cousin of the roflcopter.

LOL oh kay then… :smiley:

Heh, they’re not exactly new or anything.  I mean if I know them, then they can’t really be cutting edge.

urbandictionary.com/define.p … llerskates

urbandictionary.com/define.p … roflcopter

Even I know what those are!!!

Ah sure, go ahead, pick on the Luddite… :astonished:

i just think its funny, ruperts econnomy is getting worse by the day and here you have a store willing to find a way to stay in town instead of closing out and leaving. la cucina just closed, pizza hut is closing or may have already, but hey theyre okay cause they didnt offer pay cuts to there employees and remain open to offer something to the town. guess the mistake extra foods made is they should have just closed avoided all the drama then opened a no frills after the olypics or something and people would welcome a new store. and your right roflcopter would probably been a better term in this instance lol

What are you taling about?  Pizza Hut is closing or closed already?  Was just in there the other day (Love their Fettucini Alfredo  :smiley:) and there was no sign of that happening and La Cucina usually closes for a time in the winter.  It is very sad at this time of the year especially that the employees of Extra Foods have the stress of knowing their paycheques have been slashed even though the obvious that they still  maintain a job is somewhat comforting. Can’t you understand that?

At my work place we ordered take out from La Cucina last Wednesday.  We were told that La Cucina was closing on that day.  La Cucina is closed unfortunately.  :frowning:

Is it closed permanently hitest or its annual hiatus, so to speak?  Sad if it is permanent.

sure i can understand that, im just saying people are being extremley negative about maintaining a job. yes a reduce in pay always sucks but its better than no job at all. La cucina is closed permantly owner is doing something else and has been trying to sell business for a year. the sign for pizza hut closing was on the front door, but maybe it was only a temp close for holidays or something that one i cant confirm 100%.

Restaurants close and open all the time in this city, that’s not unusual just look around at all the empty store fronts around here that once were, that interesting location that once held the Epicurean for instance.

Extra Foods moving to No Frills, is a larger issue than just changing a brand, it’s a dedicated move to change the culture of the workplace, with what appears to be a drastic reduction in pay, change to employment hours and such.  If you’re on board with that concept, well good on ya, glad I don’t work for ya.

The larger picture though is the ongoing inability of the city to ever attract any kind of industry/business to this burg, for whatever reason they seem to sit over at third avenue with their head in the sands as the moving vans take more and more residents away, which of course means more and more businesses will close or find interesting ways to reduce their costs.

The city’s priorities have been off for years, how they’re going to run a city with a tax base that keeps shrinking is an interesting question. 

Guess I am okay with it, theres gotta be close too 100 workers there, if they just left the store the way it was until it was so bad they just closed instead of making changes that would be 100 people looking for work, and 0 cash flow for the town. They change yes the culture, hours and pay will change but that 100 people still employeed and still some cash staying in town. If my boss came and said hey mark were gonna close in a few months, Id be asking him if there was anything we could do to stay open. Id be okay with a pay cut to keep working, unemploy,ent sucks.

Well were not talking about well paid industrial workers ie: pulp mill, grain elevator, ridley types or city workers, what we’re talking about are folks that if made to take a huge pay cut are just above the poverty line.

This from an industry that seems to have no shortage of customers. people apparenly like to eat.

It’s one thing to take a pay cut to save your job when you’re making thirty bucks an hour, not so much an enjoyable thing if you’re making 12 and your suddenly down to min wage, not sure I’d be as thankful as you to the boss for letting me keep my job if I only agree to what amounts to blackmail.

Is that a yes for Pizza Hut closing down?  :neutral_face:

Blackmail? “Due to the poor economy our business is no longer viable. We have an alternate store we can run that is a cheaper format with lower operating costs (ie wages and hours) we can offer you” Thats blackmail? Its an offer of employment vs unemployment. If there were no extra foods in the first place and they brought in a no frills im sure people whould welcome the jobs an wages even if they werent that high. Almost anywhere in rupert you work you have to have a second job. Youd rather the poeple employed at extra foods say no I wont take the pay cut Ill jsut sit at home and collect ei?

Pizza Hut: Didnt see the sign so I dont know the content of it but there was a sign posted on the front door saying they were closing.

So my husband works there and he got a letter saying if the contract is accepted then he will abe able to either take a lump sum payment and leave the workplace or take a smaller payment and a 40% wage decrease and work at the new no frills. The wage decrease id doable for our situation we can afford rent and stuff but will have to cut back on some things. Either way Extra Foods is closing in January so well be okay through christmas no wage cuts till the new year. What they are voting on is wheather to take a no frills in its place or nothing. If they vote no then they will all be out of work in january. We are gonna vote in favour of the no frill conversion and just take the buy out. Hes gonna go back to school I think. I might apply there tho the minimum wage they are offering is going up to 9 something.

So I’m sure that an independently audited financial statement would be posted outlining how the financials don’t work anymore, cause without that, telling people that you have to do this or you lose your job, well by most definitions that would be blackmail.

Just doing something at the expense of a negotiated agreement just because the managers say it’s so, isn’t how most workplaces with a union evolve, then again if  you want to get rid of the union, then this is the way to go.

Closing down and starting up as something else  is sure an interesting approach to the workplace, gets rid of those pesky employees that may be whining too much about things like a liveable wage and benefits.

No I wouldn’t rather have the folks at Extra Foods sit on EI, rather it would be nice if the  situation as defined, didn’t appear to be a case of improving the bottom line at the expense of those that work there and alraedy aren’t making rather large sums of money. Alwasy a good business practice to go after the weakest link rather than improving the product.

Christmas in your world must be interesting, here you are a box of turds, polish it up and it’s a diamond, can’t you see the sparkle.

so what ur saying is the busness should forgo sustainability in an effort to improve the lives of others? Hell give am all $40/h and that’ll fix the problem! canada should appoint you to business administrator for all of canada and we can watch the economy go down the pooper! Im so excited! I hope they close the store and then wont have to hear all the whining anymore! Itll be much better that way. Oh and sure provide financial statements so that everyone can critisize the business for the profit margin they want to attain! Its a business they set goals for financial gain, and when not met need to make changes. Its how businesses work. (Hate to burst your bubble but business that dont evolve and change the way they operate dont sucseed)

So there you have it anyways no more Extra Foods come january, now will all these people still have A job to goto or they gonna be down at the EI office next month? Sounds like it could go either way. One less store means they better get bigger parkiing lots at the other two!

If the people at extra foods can take a fourty percent pay cut, they can’t be doing THAT bad.

The most I’ve ever made, while supporting two people, was 10 bucks an hour. And it was tough. Really tough. It really is sad that there is a paycut coming, but I’d rather have a paycut, and have to go search for another part time job, then lose it altogether.

As for Pizza hut and La Cucina closing. Pizza in this town is a tough buisness, there are two pizza joints here who hold all of the clients around here. And when you’re competing with 2 for 1, it’s tough.  I’m not sure about La Cucina, but pizza hut didn’t have a good start due to managerial issues, and that hurt it’s buisness, I wouldn’t be suprised at all if they closed.

Like it or not, in this town you need two or more jobs to pay bills. The fact that most of the larger employers only offer part time work makes it even tougher. That’s more of the issue that needs to be addressed. Honestly. It’s easier to live on minimum wage if you’re getting consistant hours…