Re: Extra Foods to No Frills

Nothing to add to the conversation, except that Extra Foods sounds really funny to a Portuguese speaker.  Especially if you pronounce it Extra Fuds. 

Safeways the way to go… Good location, clean, organized, colorful, don’t have to bag your own groceries or guess how many bags you will need to pay for prior to bagging.

Billy, are you ok.  That was perhaps the most lucid thing you have ever said on this site.

that is all they are going to get to is extra funds. just looked at the new collective agreement and it staights in there that, if one department has ten people highered, they only have to work 3 of them at full time and 1 at 25 hours. man is this ever going to hurt us… Please support us threw this… its crazy,the claim they are  losing money with Extrafoods, I don’t think so…

all i suggest is to take this opportunity to go to school . why put so much worry and stress into a dead end job

Billy is just fine today.  :smile:

work for less money…or lose your job?? I’d think with no other choice, keeping your job would be the winning option

Where’s the union in all of this crap?

PS, I made ten bucks an hour doing nightshift at seven eleven. I would think it’s pretty normal. Working at a grocery store shouldn’t be a top paying job, hell it’s where highschool students get their start…

The union’s semi-screwed because of those 2 tiers they signed 10 years back that started this decline… tack that in with these “new storenames” they came up with to pretend it’s a new operation to use a Labor Board loophole and claim they’re all new jobs.
Funny how the local cashier used to support her family and now makes maybe $9.50 (less than half) yet I’m paying more than double what I did for groceries back then.
Every single time wages are rolled back, in every instance, the savings go to the stockholders, not to YOU.

Winning option, sounds like a Gordo slogan.

Vote Gordo, vote often.

well the options suck so its just the lessor of two evils, What is happening  to the employees is horrible, but it seems they dont have any other option.  I would be fuming mad if I were them ( the employees)…but somewhat happy that I would still have the option of a job.

Well if I were  a small business owner in this town I’d be a little alarmed at the sudden loss of disposable income that local residents face when their employer arbitrarily decides to cut their salaries.

Less take home pay means less opportunity to shop local as they say, they’ll be more inclined to just hang on to the essentials rather than buy trinkets and such.

So yes the option of still having a job is a good one, but with they having less money to spend, will the small business owners be able to still have one next year?

Not just small business… EVERY business is facing the facts that people aren’t spending what they have in the past.

When and where are our Chamber of Commerce through all this crap that is going on re businesses and employees. Or why are they not trying to sell this community to the rest of Canada. So we are going to have all this so-called work being done for the port and Atlin but we may not have the citizens. What the hell is going on with Rupert and the people who were once proud to be here.

Could you elaborate on what this loophole is? According to the Employment Standards Act
Section 97.

1. If all or part of a business or a substantial part of the entire assets of a business is disposed of, the employment of an employee of the business is deemed, for the purposes of this Act, to be continuous and uninterrupted by the disposition.

In order to help understand this Section we have to look at the interpretation of Section 97.  labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/igm/esa … a-s-97.htm

"The wording of s.97 is very broad. It refers not only to the sale of a business, but to the disposal of all or part of a business or a business’ assets. Disposal is defined in the Interpretation Act as:

transfer by any method and includes assign, give, sell, grant, charge, convey, bequeath, devise, lease, divest, release and agree to do any of those things."

Examples

• A company sells one of its divisions, and the new owner takes on the employees of that division. As a substantial portion of the assets of the business has been sold, s.97 applies.

• The owner of a franchise sells the franchise to another person. If the new franchisee continues to operate in the same location with some or all of the previous franchisee’s employees, this section applies. The business has been granted to the franchise, which has also taken over the goodwill of the business. (Goodwill may be recognized as an asset of a business.)

• A restaurant is sold. When the new owner takes over, the restaurant is closed for a few days to redecorate. The employees are then called in to work and continue working as before."

This is a  portion of the interpretation of Section 97 I referenced to elaborate on the meaning of “disposed of”. It is worth while reading the full page.

I believe Section 97 applies to the employees unless their collective agreement prevents it; which wouldn’t be a “Labour Board Loophole”.  Maybe there is something I am missing?

please understand that the labour board is invloved in this, and also they had a meeting with Vince Ready (SP). on tuesday were he walked out on them… Extrafoods did not show up with there records showing they were losing money…

this whole situation is lollerskates. they change to no frills people get pay cuts and still get jobs, dont like it go to kitimat and ask eurocan for a job, they have people who been there 20 or 30 years to and theyre totally screwed now. part timeres get raises the stores getting a huge makeover which they need its always so cluttered in there but hey what do i know? come january we might only have 2 stores in town. sorry to people who been there 20 years and are getting reduced pay but i gotta say how bad are you at your job if you been there 20 years and still are just a bagger?

Three dots for you old guy:
[size=9][/size]

Ah come on, he used lollerskates in a sentence.  Surely he gets bonus points for that. 

What the hell is a lollerskate? :confused: