Pay before you discharge

Anyone have a link where one could find statistics on “gas and dashers” per year?

Honestly, if I ever worked at a gas station and noticed someone is trying to leave without paying…I would not put myself at risk of being driven over, hit or as the poor young man was - dragged. A few bucks or more, it’s not worth risking your life over.

I think the law is a good thing though, seems to be less and less honest people out there.

Honestly the law is a complete and total waste of time. There are so many more important things our government could be working on  but this will get them good PR so it takes top priority.

Personally I dont think we should regulate idiocy. What the kid should have done is written down the license plate and called it a day. What kind of moron runs in front of a moving vehicle risking their life for a tank of gas.

exactly my thoughts,  you can’t regulate natural selection

In truth, there could definitely be a lot of better laws made.

Such as longer and harsher punishments for child molesters…

The complaints in this thread are way more reactionary than the new law.

If we’re viewing the law as solely a reaction to the death of a station attendant, then yes, I can understand. However, we should step back and recognize that Canada is one of the last 1st world countries to enact this law (not like it’s some sort of monumental legislature, just putting things in perspective). There are more reasons to put this change into effect than to simply rectify an accident.

Besides minimizing danger to employees, it places the burden of enforcement on the system, rather than people. The system prevents theft much better than people do; people are much less likely to pull a gun on the attendant than they were to drive off without paying. Why even bother training and worrying teenage employees with this stuff when simple automation can take care of it?

Even if gas theft isn’t a common problem in every area, if preventing it is easy and inexpensive, why not do it? You can argue that government is wasting its time on a law like this, but it’s a simple switchover that costs the taxpayers almost nothing while genuinely making a service safer, faster, and more efficient.

I guarantee that in several months, when everyone has had ample time to adjust to the [small] difference, there will be no reason to complain about any of this.

LOL I just went to go fill up some gas for work…and I thought I would share my story.

There was this lady in front of me, “I came here to pre-pay for my gas”…
The gas attendant lets her know the law starts on Friday…
Lady says, “Are you serious? This is bullshit!”, and storms out of the building.

I get up to pay for my gas, and the poor gas attendant says they have been dealing with people like that all week. Told me how a school teacher was screaming at them the day before…yikes.

I thought this law was put in place to make the gas attendant’s job a bit easier =P

never…

I came back North yesterday after a lovely experience at the Chevron in Hope. Seems like Bill Gates wrote the software, it took a few minutes to update each screen, would pop up questions like
Do you want to fill up? YES NO
then no YES-NO choice would appear… and the next question would pop up.
The attendant came out, shook her head and shut that pump down.
The ones that worked okay had endless inputs
Are you sure?
Really sure?
etc.
I’ll be filling up at the full service station on the rez when it’s -20 outside!!!

LOL, but technology is our friend! :smiley:

If you ever wonder what happened to the commodore 64  now you know! 

I’ve actually been paying at the pump ever since I got a credit card, some gas stations arent too bad but the chevron in hope is fucking horrid. 

I used to pay at the pump when I still used my Commodore64 !

Now I can’t help wondering, what if the guy chooses fill-up and when it’s done and the debit or charge doesn’t go through… do you still have to run after him when he takes off or they’ll dock it off your paycheck???

They do a pre-authorization for debit.  The pump will pre-authorize $100 or something like that.

Same with credit.  That’s how they check if your credit card is good before you pump.

I got gas at the native station in Terrace today.Had to go in with my creditcard.They asked me how much I wanted and I told them to fill it up . They told me they had to have a amount.So I told them 50.00 They charged my card and I had to sign for it. Then all the car would take was 35.00 So they gave me back 15.00 cash . It sure was different

Not to be a negative nancy but I sure wish 7-11, or Esso would get  “pay at the pump”.  I guess it would affect the amount of people who go there though.

I had one of those Esso Speedpass things.  Worked great across North America.  Except for Rupert :wink:

When I’ve had to pre-pay (in the US, and oddly enough, at a place in PG a couple of weeks ago), I’ve always just gone inside and handed them my credit card – “I’m going to fill up, be right back.”  And no problems. 

I don’t see what all the complaints are about here.
Oh no. You have to walk a few extra steps to pay for a tank of gas.
Big deal. :unamused:

"I want my gas NOW not after I pay!"
Is that how it is? Seriously people.
Instant gratification is somewhat over rated.
Get off your fat butt cheeks and walk that extra few feet. It’ll be good for you!

Can you read? I haven’t seen any complaints about walking a few feet.
Or do you just like new “services” where you do ALL the work, no one gets employed, and you pay more than you ever did before?

I wasn’t refering directly to people here in this forum.
But to the people, who may or may not read this, out there who ARE complaining about it.

K, sorry. I just reacted to none of my points being reiterated, like the law dodging the root cause of the problem.
When I was in High School about one person in five worked at a gas station. Now one person runs a gas stations AND a store and they pay as little as legally possible. Tomorrow no one can work, there will be an unmanned prepay station and a bank of vending machines. I’ve seen those already in California!

There was ( I don’t know if it still exists) an unmanned gas station like that in Calgary (McKnight and center street if I recall) and seldom did you see a car at the pumps.

Concerning ‘Grants law’ from the investigation it would appear that Grant was struck from behind. I’m guessing that Grant was attempting to get the license plate number of the truck that did the gas n dash and got run over by an accomplice. A minimum of two surviving people know for sure.

As far as the law goes it’s ILLEGAL for a gas station operator to take theft out of an employees wages, as well it’s really quite simple and relatively inexpensive to install security cameras that will record the drivers face and plate number of the vehicle involved. The gas station I use most often had done just that a few years ago and leaves a monitor running at the till with a quartered screen visible to customers (and would be crooks) along with notices of the cameras posted on each pump. With 10 low quality cameras their 'Gas n dash" problems were reduced to  near zero.

I personally do not agree with the law because it assumes we are all thieves. Guilty before proved innocent? No thanks.