Local Business in Prince Rupert

Jason, next time, login. That way you can go back and edit your posts so you don’t look so out-to-lunch, ok?

And breathe, man, breathe. Relax.

I was trying to figure out what you were trying to say that is all. Your right about not speaking to me in person. I am not the type to tell you what you want or need i always ask what your trying to do and maybe throw in what could also help you out. In the past as i have talked to you in person it has been a pleasure because your friendly and nice. but i guess when i read about things on here when you post i get them mixed up or i don’t read your posts properly and interpret the info your saying.

the stunned silence is deafening as jason just regains his composure…oh my goodness!!

Ok, so here’s why I hate having to defend my store, cause sometimes people actually come up with good criticisms.

Supporting local companies is very important, especially in bad economies like the one we’re in right now. If you think that buying that $30 whatever makes no difference if you bought it off the Internet or in town, think again. That $30 could mean the difference between somebody having a job that day. If three people spent $30 in one store in one day, that’s enough to give somebody a paycheck and keep them employed for at least one more day.

First of all, that the second or third time you’ve called me smart Mig. :blush: I don’t know if it’s staff who do this or just one guy that who if you’ve been in CS, you know who I’m talking about. I absolutely agree with what you are saying, but unfortunately, being that the person who is doing this is the owner, there’s nothing that can be done, because he is convinced that he knows better and he’s doing his customers a favor.

We follow a schedule for markup i.e.,
$1 - $100 = x,
$101 – 1000 = y

Prices from vendors can flux from minute to minute, so we won’t rely on our inventory system for a current price. I’ve seen prices drop over $200 in one day. If another company has current pricing, we’ll look bad if we’re $200 higher.

Sales right now are so poor that we simply would not be able to come down any more. If we bought something for $10 and were selling it for $15 and you asked us to bring it to $11, you might think “No big deal, they just made a dollarâ€

[quote=“alistair”]I hate defending my store, but here goes.

1. It’s normal practice to charge travel. That also covers expenses that the customer doesn’t directly see. We could not charge travel, but then we’d have to jack our rates. In Vancouver for the same service, you’re looking at $120. It ends up being cheaper for the customer if we do it this way.

2. If something goes wrong after we leave, if it’s related to anything we touched whether it’s our fault or not, chances are we’d come back for free. It’s called liability.

3. Our hourly rate is not $90, it’s $60. The $30 is travel. Flat rate.

.[/quote]

hmm hell if anyone wants a network installed pay for the supplys i will do it for 25-30 an hour

The guy who owns creative, Mike…He is a prick.

What about tools? Cimping, punching down, testing? Do you have these tools? Can you afford to buy them or do you want the client to? When shit happens will you go back and charge them again or do it for free?

Gotta agree with Alistair here.

You get what you pay for.

Do you have some way of certifying Cat5e?

Honestly. Do you.? ( Joel )

I agree with Mig. You get what you pay for.

What daniel said.

Why would I spend my money which in these hard economic times is not easy to come by at a local store where the staff treats me like i dont know what i am talking about and always try to sell me extra things i dont need. For example a few years back 4 or so i went in to buy a nic just a nic thats all i needed and the owner decided i needed the networking kit and wouldnt get it through his head that i only wanted a nic.

Why on earth would I spend more money on a product i can get somewjhere else cheaper if the guy who owns the buisness is a dick? I would have no problem supporting this town and its stores with what little money i have if i was treated in a respectful manor and yes you will not have a job if people continue to shop other places but like mig said your a smart guy or at least from what little i have heard about you so find another one it will involve leaving rupert most likely but dont blame the consumers its your boss.

MMMM… Ok. But do you take home a pay cheque ever 2 weeks. Do you own a brand new car.? Do you live on your own.? Do you have your own bills.? ( I mean real bills )

tools i do not have and yes should something go wrong i always go back for free if you were to ask people i have worked for in the past all of them have been satisfied customers. As a matter of fact one customer from dodge cove asked wanted me to have a look at their computer and i went over there for free to have a look at it and fixed it for all of 20 bucks. Your store simply cant compete with that because of your inventory and storefront i understand that. I do not have a store front nor an actual buisness at teh moment however when i do i will be able to offer prices that low because of the fact i do not have inventory.

see this is the problem with your store arrogance pisses people off jason just because i do not have a steady job and am going to school does that mean my money is not as good as yours?

Yes you have a job at a computer store which may very well be not operating much longer then what? you going to move and work at another computer store?

Somehow you seem to think your better than me…

Joel that is a good point. But what do you tell the customer when he needs a ink cartrige or a cat 5 cable or a hub,net work card,video card ASAP because his computer crashed or died. Sorry sir i dont have that right now but i can order that. Then he either a turns around and go to a place to get it off the shelf or b goes on line and finds it some where else. Do you know how to assemble a photo copier or repair one. Alistair does. Do you know how to fix a lexmark optra series printer. Im sure you could figure it out but yuo cant charge the customer the time you spent on it ripping it apart fixing it and learning, or if you broke it becuase you didn’t know how to fix it. ( not a put down. )

I’M am totaly not saying im better than you. Every one knows some thing a little bit more than some one else.

Funny… You guys sure had no problem raping the Friendship House for labour charges, when I told you that I needed a new print unit, and you decided to take it in and charge them for learning how to fix it.

When was this Russ. If i may ask.?

We did what???

On second thought, we might have tried to repair it, as those go for around $350. $60 is better than $350, but if it failed again, how were we to know if nobody told us. We’d charge for the labour, but credit the customer towards the purchase of the actual solution (Print unit in this case) if we were wrong or the solution didn’t last. Taking for granted we’re talking about a Fujitsu PrintPartner 10/14V. Russ, if you’re still with the FriendShip House, dig up the invoice and I’ll see what I can do for you. If we can confirm the time frames, we could issue a free credit towards labour.

Also, I very disinctly remember going to the friend ship house (No charge) to switch the keyboard and mouse plugs around, even though I told the person on the phone thats what she did wrong and she could do it her self.

Jason perhaps you need to learn how i operate things if i dont know something i will tell the customer i dont. If they still want me to have a look i wont charge them for it because it is a learning experience for me. Usually they chuck me 20 or 30 bucks anyways but thats not the point and if i were to fuck it up i would replace it.

Good policy until you start working on machines worth $10,000+

My current record $80,000 (Estimate)
It’s the machine that puts the phone bills into the envelops at citytel. I think it’s worth more, but they wouldn’t tell me exactly how much. Could be less. I used to have to visit that machine every time they did a billing run when it was new, but now it’s broken in a little I only see it every other month.