Local Business in Prince Rupert

[quote=“alistair”]

Ouch. :cry:

Lifetime warranty and gold plated contacts. We don’t stock anything else, but that wasn’t my idea. It may be expensive, but lets see you try and claim warranty on a bad piece you bought over a year ago from any other company![/quote]

That isn’t that bad of a price… If you bought the cheapest SD ram you could find on NCIX, then pay tax and shipping it would be pretty much the same… If it comes with a lifetime warrenty and you don’t feel like waiting a week to get it, why not spend that???

Micron PC133 256MB SDRAM - $80 @ NCIX

Ordering from Dangeo.com would be pretty cheap though. Might spend $70 for the same thing (no sales tax, lowest price in Canada, cheap deleivery)…

I bought my current keyboard from Creative Systems two years ago for $13. I tested all of their keyboards, including all the Microsoft/whoever Internet-ready ergonomic natural split down the middle with all the extra buttons wireless USB 802.11b AM/FM embedded-AI and helper monkeys, and I bought the cheap one because the keys felt nicer when you pressed them. It is getting pretty worn, though, and I might pick up a new one… no way I’m getting anything with extra keys and shit though, and I’m not terribly interested in buying a keyboard mouse combo… also, I don’t think I really need a wireless keyboard, and two guys on my floor already have them, and I’d be worried about getting interference from eachother (read that in an Ars article, I think).

Anyhow, I hope you all fuckoffanddie.

Also, Creative charged my former workplace $90/hour, and for three hours couldn’t diagnose a faulty cat5 cable as the problem, so the boss called me and it took me about 4 minutes to fix it, thanks to following the OSI model and starting with physical =)

So anyhow, the guy gave me $20 (my usual rate to him was $10/hour)… there’s this other guy who brought me in to do some stuff in his office, and it took me about 2.5 hours, then when he asked me at the end how much I charged (although poor business practice, we hadn’t discussed it before), and I said, “Oh, I dunno, $30 I guess?” And he said “$30 an hour? Wow, you’re way cheaper than those other guys!”

It was rad.

[quote=“orangetang”]

Ouch. :cry:

Lifetime warranty and gold plated contacts. We don’t stock anything else, but that wasn’t my idea. It may be expensive, but lets see you try and claim warranty on a bad piece you bought over a year ago from any other company!

That isn’t that bad of a price… If you bought the cheapest SD ram you could find on NCIX, then pay tax and shipping it would be pretty much the same… If it comes with a lifetime warrenty and you don’t feel like waiting a week to get it, why not spend that???

Micron PC133 256MB SDRAM - $80 @ NCIX

Ordering from Dangeo.com would be pretty cheap though. Might spend $50 for the same thing (no sales tax, lowest price in Canada, cheap deleivery)…[/quote]

Or, you can go to your friends house with an old 64mb chip and switch it with his 256mb chip when he leaves to get you food.

No, it works perfectly. Sometimes in certain games the volume control overlay (of you use it) fucks up and wont go away… So I dont’ use it. Other than that its great. My mouse is pretty responsive, I dont’ have any complaints.

I know the incident that Eso is talking about, and although it wasn’t me, I’d still take the blame since it was me who sent the guy up there. It was his first day and he was probably nervous. I don’t think we charged for that call and if we did, I don’t think it was me who sent the invoice.

haha, sure sure…your just covering up for your effective business technique.

[quote=“alistair”]Depends on which tech you get.

ME - Around 5 Mins, as I have to wait for the computer to boot, etc.
Jason - Rest of the day while he looks for the serial port.[/quote]

Best … post… ever…

lol, i agree…haha…should make a poll on that being the best post…heh

Yeah.!!!

Well, here’s me totally off the record about Creative Solutions.

1. It’s a local company, so I send a lot of people there. I figure they should have the first crack at any business that I am generating.

2. Some of the staff there just make me not want to give it any business. I know Alistair is a smart, non-annoying guy. So was Amber, she wasn’t annoying either. I just hate your staff that tries to tell me what I am looking for. I go in and say “I want item X05” and they say “no, you don’t know what you’re talking about, you want the X06, it has more X, it is better”. That’s when an out-of-town company will get the business. Honestly, if somebody asks for a product, sell it to them.

3. Inconsitency. I sent 5 teachers, from 5 different departments at CHSS to your store to get a quote for an HP1200. (we bought 7 of them this year). You gave 5 different prices. Only one beat the vancouver price (including shipping!). So we bought one through you, the rest from Vancouver.

4. Unwillingness to bend on prices. Every time we have a major purchase, I’ll ask the local guys for a proposal or estimate. The Vancouver guys will take a loss to beat you. It’s that simple. They want to keep our business. Your store’s reaction has always been sour grapes – “if the vancouver guy is selling to you at that price, he’s using stolen parts.” Yeah, that’s good business practice, makes me want to come spend money there.

Now compare that to Shutter Shack. Every camera CHSS has bought has been there. That’s maybe 10-15 cameras (some digital, some not). That guy knows that he has one chance to get our business, and that’s when we ask him for a price on a product. We’re not stupid. If camera X costs $1500 at Shutter Shack and $1200 in Vancouver, we’ll buy it in Vancouver. So he always quotes prices that are competitive. I’ve even bought my personal stuff at Shutter Shack because of that.

And the guy at Shutter Shack has never talked down to us, or tried to prove that he knows more than us. That’s not his business. His business is to sell us what we want, not to tell us we don’t know what we’re talking about.

Anyway, that’s me, off the record :wink:

So you’r saying im a annoying guy.?
And that i don’t know any thing about computer’s?

There are two kinds of businesses in Prince Rupert.

1. The kind of business that says “how much money can I get from this customer?” They think that just because they are local, you will buy from them, so they should charge whatever they want.

2. The kind of business that says “can I get any money from this customer? or will I drive his business out of town?” They know that there is a world outside of Prince Rupert, and that you aren’t stupid.

[quote=“Jason”]So you’r saying im a annoying guy.?
And that i don’t know any thing about computer’s?[/quote]

Perfect example here. Jason, where did I say that?

I’M not saying you did. But you said that amber or alistair is not annoying guy.

What?

Then what does this mean in the language that you speak?

[quote=“Jason”]So you’r saying im a annoying guy.?
And that i don’t know any thing about computer’s?[/quote]

Sometimes, Jason, it’s best to just not say anything.

yes you did. right there…the bolded text.

1. Some of the staff there just make me not want to give it any business. I know Alistair is a smart, non-annoying guy. So was Amber, she wasn’t annoying either.

This right here is saying good things about amber and Alastair. What i get from this is your saying that im annoying.

but you just said you weren’t saying he was. :laughing:

So first you say “you’re saying I’m annoying.”

Then you say “I didn’t say you said I was annoying.”

And now you say “there you said I was annoying.”

I didn’t say you were annoying, Jason. I’ve never had the pleasure of talking to you at CS, I guess I come in when you’re not around.

But ask yourself this, what would a reasonable person’s reaction be to “you said I was annoying, but I didn’t say you said so, but you said so.”?

mig, can i lock this topic on account of stupidity on jason’s behalf?