Is the credit union a bank that cares?

[quote=“gum”]

One concern I have is they appear seriously overstaffed.  Whenever I go in there a see maybe 20 people working there, and that is just the staff who are visible from the front entrance area.  [/quote]

I never thought that one day I would read comments like the one I’m reading on this tread. Since when is being one of Prince Rupert best employer a negative attribute.
Some people sure know how to use a rather bizarre form of logic.
Please, don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Take your medicine, scented roses

They were very mean to one of my family members, she did not deserve the
way they dealt with her as a 2 year employee and i will never forgive them for
that,people have a right to be treated in a respectful manner and not some
piece of garbage.

maybe you arent getting the full story from your family member . like we didn’t at the beginning of this thread

I’m getting the full story because outher co workers have stated it wasn’t
fair how she was treated and that includes the ones on the top.and speaking
to a director he stated this is not how we operate and it will be addressed.i have
alot of money invested in this bank and have friends have millions and they shake
there heads and state that doesn’t sound like the same bank we deal with.

Wow, friends with millions !  Well then, buy the bank, problem solved  :smiley:

Ding ding ding! 3 pages and we finally get to the point of why you’re slamming the Credit Union.

There is always two sides to every disagreement so what did she do to apparently cause this horrible treatment?      BTW CrazyMike, hilarious avatar…Just had to throw that in  :smiley:

I’m not going into details the people who know what happend will have to live
with it,believe me hell will have to freeze over if I’m going to let this go by with
out some ansewers and the big question WHY!!!

Then ask the people in question  :roll: If an employee has been wrongly and unjustly treated, in their opinion, can they not take the matter to the Labour Board or the Union? It seems to make more sense than you coming on here with your cryptic comments and innuendos regarding the credit union itself.  Go to the powers that be and settle it! If that doesn’t accomplish what you are expecting, go to Gary Coons’ office.  They are a very helpful group and no, I am not NDP  :smile:

If the former employee is not in a union they should go to the Employment Standards Branch … here’s a link to a check list of scenarios which specifically mentions that employment issues with credit unions are provincial (banks are federal) …

labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/does-esa-apply.htm

Only go to Gary Coons if a quality of service issue arises with Employment Standards Branch … politicians don’t intervene in private disputes … but they’re supposed to make sure that government bodies carry out their mandates.  

Thanks btaveraeen for your info i did contact gary coons and the BC board
and a lawyer there is no union and the govt has changed the labour code
a employer can terminate you without cause and i guess that’s what the bank
is doing just that no one has challenged them in the past and they feel the person
will just get scared and walk away,i only gain from this is to make aware that this
is happening and it really hurts when anyone not just a family member gets treated
so unfair i know people say there is two sides well i would like to hear the outher side
but we propley wont because there to scared to say anything,everyone has a family
to feed and you cant blame them and its sad.

That’s my understanding of the BC Employment Standards Act as well (federal is different) … an employer can dismiss an employee any time they want without cause. However …

… the employer has to pay severance unless the employee was dismissed for “cause”, which employers often have difficulty proving … they are supposed to follow “progressive discipline” with dismissal being the final step in a process … employers tend to trip up on that issue.

After 3 years employment an employee is entitled to 3 weeks pay plus one week for every further year up to 8 weeks. People may get more if they go to court … but the upfront costs and stress of a trial can be a problem for some … but then again an employer may agree to a settlement to avoid the publicity.   

I don’t know the circumstances … but if the person in question was not paid their due I hope they file a complaint with Employment Standards Branch … too many people just roll over … and that can make things harder for other workers as well.   

Thanks again for your info btaervee,the severance was paid the money is not what
really hurts its the way the situation was handled.its already a very cruel world out
there and when its close its hard to understand why this happens to people who
just want to go to work and provide for there family’s ,no one is perfect that’s why
Jesus said any who hasn’t done wrong they may throw the first stone.

So maybe you should contact those people directly, and privately, instead of airing your grievances in a public forum, and making a big public to-do out of a personal matter, hinting at some terrible injustice and playing coy at the same time.

Welcome to HTMF and I frankly have to concur with your advice to Ajaye… He has opinions on quite a few issues which although we may not always agree with  keeps us thinking … :smile:

Given your interest in this topic, are you by any chance employed by the credit union or on their board?

Thank you for the welcome, Speakuppr.

I am a member of the credit union, as I already said in my first post, but I do not work there, nor am I on the Board of Directors. I check the forum now and then to see what’s going on, and I never felt like posting something, but this topic really interested me because of the turn it took, and because I bank there.

I am all for getting people thinking, and for lively discussions and respectful disagreements. Obviously Ajaye is very upset by the situation, and being let go from a job is never a good thing, specially in this town where jobs are hard to find.

I don’t see anything inherently wrong with airing grievances about what some may regard as private matters. The track records of businesses selling goods or services … including how they treat their workers … can be of interest to consumers and others. The Extra Foods saga is a case in point …

Businesses should expect some scrutiny through blogs and discussion boards as well as through more traditional media … keeps them on their toes … helps keep markets competitive … and probably reduces the likelihood of abuses of various kinds.

That being said … if severance has been paid … and accepted it appears … I really don’t see an issue here that is of much interest … especially compared to situations where workers are short changed or otherwise trampled on and they are so out-gunned that there is little that they can do about it. Best to turn the page and move on …

I guess we have to move on and then some outher poor person gets the same
treatment and there friends and family have to deal with it.We need to try to
see if we can help because losing a job is like a death it takes alot  out of
a person mentally and life’s not fair and depression hurts.

That’s true … and life isn’t always fair. When workers lose their jobs their lives can’t be restored to what they were … the best that workers can do for themselves … and that unions, lawyers and the Employment Standards people can help them with … is to get severance pay … which helps …

Some workers don’t manage to get that … for various reasons … not knowing their rights, lack of help or because they are up against petty and vindictive employers who are too exhausting to deal with … unfortunately that is sometimes the reality.

Bank employees … unlike credit union employees … are under federal law, which gives an adjudicator the power to order that a terminated worker be reinstated, in addition to ordering severance pay … and sometimes that’s what happens … but only a small part of the workforce is under the canada labour code … unfortunately in my opinion.