Is the credit union a bank that cares?

I could be mistaken but I believe the monthly meetings at this credit union are open only to board members and management. Credit Union members can go to their Annual General meeting.   As for setting policy at the local bank…I think that’s more illusion than reality.

B Traveen’s comments about professionalism brought to mind the Park Avenue store saga and Lee Bodies’ letter of allegations about how he was dealt with by the credit union . It’s good to see a new store in there and I hope they do well.

You went for a loan for a small business?
Muah hah hah hah hah…
They ALL hate small business, you’re screwed. If you want to borrow $15 you’re gonna have to give personal guarantees and they won’t take homes, property or vehicles in this climate. I haven’t managed to get a nickel in 14 years, had to buy everything out of cashflow and learn what bills you can stall to keep going. Could borrow at better terms from Uncle Guido and his boys than any Canadian institution!  :imp:

Be careful if your trying for a job there,its a clicky place if you
don’t fit in they will find away to get rid of you.

kinda like working for the city I guess

No the city dosnt run on its own money.its the tax payers who own the city,
and cupe 105 dosnt put up with to much shit,so the employer thinks twice
before they try to pull a fast one.

What is this thread about? Bad customer service? Bad treatment and dismissal of an employee? Or about a financial institution and caring?
I am pretty sure they care about money…?

The issue here is we have a bank that says its a family bank a community
bank that cares,my feeling is there is a power to be in the bank that has
there head blown up so much that if you don’t fit into there idea of a employee
who can offer something they need and want then you are not welcome there no more
and you are disposed of like yesterdays garbage,and the big wigs who don’t have the balls to stop it and look into what the hell is going on down stairs my only thought
is wake up boys before its to late.

[quote=“ajaye46”]
Myself, or someone I know was let go at the bank and I’m pissed off about it.[/quote]

There, I fixed it for you.

Or alternatively,

A friend of mine found out you don’t mess with an elite group pretending to be a Credit Union and I’m pissed off about it.

:smiley:

This is nothing to make fun of,your talking about someone livelihood.

Now don’t take this the wrong way, but if so, I would imagine that they probably don’t appreciate you airing all of their grievances here, until their is some kind of final decision made. 

there i fixed it for your place of it because its no different.

O my, I could not believe my eyes while reading on this topic. I have been a Member of the Credit Union for over 30 yrs and find that this thread of postings is very disturbing to many people.

The Credit Union does care about its Members and the community. Throughout the years of my Membership my experience with Northern Savings Credit Union has been superb. The service is friendly and hospitable, may it be face-to-face or over the telephone, at least when you call there is no automation involved.

There has never been any indication that any persons I have dealt with thought they were of an elite group. It appears that everyone gets along fine and dandy. Of course there will be people that build closer friendships than others but this happens in all walks of life. How can someone insult the integrity of this fine group of people that has served us for so many years.

And you should have just come out in the beginning and said this was a personal issue. Or even better, just used some common sense and not broadcasted a personal issue on the internet.

It’s nice to see there are success stories out there. A few of us are not as fortunate to share your experience.

I’m not sure what issues ajaye is alluding to … he is usually raked over the coals for being too optimistic.

Financial services are a product in a competitive market. If customers like dealing with the credit union, that is fine. I agree with grey hair’s comments in that regard. I have no philosophical objections to credit unions … far from it … I still have the pass book from the first credit union that I was a member of as a kid. 

My practical experience with this credit union though … personally and working for businesses … has been that there are advantages to dealing with the big banks … and I’ve outlined some of those reasons in brief.

If credit union loyalists find it unbelievable, disturbing, insulting or whatever that some of us have made other arrangements … well … I guess we all have some choice about how we feel about things.

I think though that smart businesses … whatever they’re selling … try to learn from why consumers shop elsewhere or buy someone else’s goods or services … rather than taking things personally or being dismissive. 

I think there are two different issues going on here. One is the actual performance of the local credit union as a financial institution. We can argue back and forth and trade horror stories and stories with happy endings. In my case, I did shop around for a mortgage. The credit union matched what the “big banks” offered. Some people’s stories are the total opposite…maybe it was my lucky day.

The Credit Union does a lot for the community. It offers accounts to people other banks wouldn’t even touch. It donates literally thousands of dollars every year to non-profit organizations that serve everybody in Prince Rupert, no matter where they bank.

The second issue is ajaye starting a post solely to vent because of one former employee’s hard feelings about the institution, as he keeps hinting here and there.
Anyways, there are two sides to every story, and I don’t think that this is the place to air work grievances. Imagine if we all started griping about our employers in the forum…

A.

I’ve had mixed experiences with the Credit Union.

Opening up a business account, their fees were far lower than the bank.  Saturday opening was great until they canceled that.

They failed badly when I went to purchase insurance for my business, I gave them first crack at it, they sent me away saying they couldn’t insure me without an exact listing of the value of the hard assets being insured… hard to do when your business is just starting and you are in the process of ordering and buying furniture, computers, equipment etc.  The best I could do was an estimate of the cost of the equipment and furniture, which came out to be within a few hundred dollars of the real final amount.  They turned me away and expected me to go without any office insurance for a few months until all of my equipment was purchased.  Moronic.  Needless to say I bought my insurance elsewhere without any hassle at all and have renewed annually ever since, more money leaving Prince Rupert, not that I didn’t try to support a local institution first.

One concern I have is they appear seriously overstaffed.  Whenever I go in there a see maybe 20 people working there, and that is just the staff who are visible from the front entrance area.  Compare this to the banks who somehow manage to get by with a handful of people working at any given time.  So I wonder about the financial viability of this place.  Are they there to run a responsible business or are they there to over-employ people as a big make-work project.  I don’t see how the amount of work to be done there justifies employing so many people, it makes me a little concerned for the safety of my assets there.

Anyway the credit union has its good and bad points, they have treated me fairly decently except for the insurance issue.

You don’t see this in Banks in PR because the tasks those people are doing are done in some big financial building in a metropolitan city. A job that is taken way from PR.

NSCU PR office is the Main office (Big financial building) that employs people in PR for there financial offices and branches all over BC.

If you are concerned you might want to check here:

northsave.com/Personal/Abou … /index.jsp