YPR craps the bed again!

I know for a fact that our Airport Manager has knowingly put passengers at risk at the Rupert Airport… new “under-trained” staff and out dated equipment is nothing compared to what I’ve heard

For your information, CARs regulations pertaining to YPR:

Part III

CARs Regulation - Subpart 2 - Airports
CARs Standard 322 - Airports
CARs Advisory 343

Ground de-icing equipment and the operation of is not the responsibility of YPR as it was pointed out many times before, and as far as I’m concerned (and correct me if I’m wrong) ground de-icing of an airplane is the responsibility of commercial pilots and airline operators. If you have any other safety issues regarding the airport should be forwarded to management. This is what the SMS is for.

Check out yvr…PLA,you are wrong,yvr is doing the de-icing now BECAUSE they had way too many problems when the airlines did it!Only in PR would we see a bus line in charge of this service!

Not sure on this, but some of the comments in the thread are heading to territory best not entered … that is the areas of “defamation”. Rumours and innuendos have come back to bite people and would hope that would not happen to any in here. That said, I realize we have freedom of speech but just putting it out there. Perhaps one of the moderators can once again make a statement to this? Perhaps if we had a banner running across the top you would not have to post it so often LOL!

Thank you for bringing this up Maxwell. Some of the prior comments do sound defamatory … and very much like a personal vendetta. I wonder why?

While I don’t pretend to know anything about running airports, what I do know from flying out of YPR is that it is freshly painted, inside and out, in calming neutral colours (well, except for the washrooms). If you walk around the building, it is clear that repairs have been made, inside and out. The grounds appear clean and well kept. Signage has been put into place; new furniture has been placed in the lobby (goodbye orange plastic benches!); and the security waiting area is very comfortable and a pleasant place to wait. Overall, our little airport is looking more and more well-maintained and cared for than I’ve ever seen it. In addition, anytime there is equipment visible outside, much of it it appears to be brand new. The older-looking equipment appears clean, nicely painted and well taken care of. There is visible pride of ‘ownership’ out there and as someone who travels regularly, that instills confidence. From experience, employees who show care about their workplace and the equipment they use, also care about what they do & strive to be the best at what they do. IMHO, what we all need to remember before bashing YPR and their staff, is that we live in a remote location. We have an airport based on an island with a small base of travellers which translates into modest revenue. Our city has crazy weather systems and the reality is that it isn’t always safe to travel. Our airport, the airlines & contractors all use equipment on a daily basis and yes, there will be breakdowns & yes, delays are upsetting. However, it doesn’t sound feasible to have duplicate equipment like an international airport would have.

We live in a beautiful part of the world that is truly unique. Sit back, try to celebrate it’s differences rather than hitting HTMF to bellyache and drag people and places down because something doesn’t go your way – or because you have a personal beef of some sort. Why not use this forum for good and problem-solving and try to make our unique little town something to be proud of. Why are we picking on YPR? Somehow an equipment failure and delays went seriously left and this thread became a YPR-bashing session. I’ve come to learn that this is the way Prince Rupert operates in some circles but it doesn’t have to be that way.

Just sayin’ …

Now this is a dangerous statement to be making …

Yup and liable issues/defamation issues can be costly just saying better to think it than to post it!( take it from me I have been there !)

I have been following this thread from its inception and biting my tongue at the finger pointing and accusations being made. I find it appalling that certain people have balls the size of the grand canyon in making statements such as they have. You do remember, that when you point 1 finger at someone, 3 are pointing back at yourself! HMMMM, how curious!

I am pretty sure I have figured out who the finger pointers are, but that is besides the point - to flat out accuse someone of something is a dangerous game to make - you are close to slander. There are hefty fines to pay for such a thing!

I know that nobody that currently works at that airport would deliberately put anybody into harms way - they take their jobs seriously - and perhaps one should look at the facts, instead of the rumors.

Take for example, do you know that for all the times that Canadian Jazz has decided not to land at YPR, Hawkair has! How curious is that!!

Just Sayin…

Show me where YVR is responsible for deicing every aircraft parked on the ramp, notwithstanding aircraft operator’s decision.

tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r … htm#602_11

[quote=“CARs Part 6, Subpart 2, Section 11”]
Aircraft Icing

602.11 (1) In this section, “critical surfaces” means the wings, control surfaces, rotors, propellers, horizontal stabilizers, vertical stabilizers or any other stabilizing surface of an aircraft and, in the case of an aircraft that has rear-mounted engines, includes the upper surface of its fuselage.

(2) No person shall conduct or attempt to conduct a take-off in an aircraft that has frost, ice or snow adhering to any of its critical surfaces.

(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a person may conduct a take-off in an aircraft that has frost adhering to the underside of its wings that is caused by cold-soaked fuel, if the take-off is conducted in accordance with the aircraft manufacturer’s instructions for take-off under those conditions.

(4) Where conditions are such that frost, ice or snow may reasonably be expected to adhere to the aircraft, no person shall conduct or attempt to conduct a take-off in an aircraft unless

(a) for aircraft that are not operated under Subpart 5 of Part VII,

(i) the aircraft has been inspected immediately prior to take-off to determine whether any frost, ice or snow is adhering to any of its critical surfaces, or

(ii) the operator has established an aircraft inspection program in accordance with the Operating and Flight Rules Standards, and the dispatch and take-off of the aircraft are in accordance with that program; and

(b) for aircraft that are operated under Subpart 5 of Part VII, the operator has established an aircraft inspection program in accordance with the Operating and Flight Rules Standards, and the dispatch and take-off of the aircraft are in accordance with that program.

(5) The inspection referred to in subparagraph (4)(a)(i) shall be performed by

(a) the pilot-in-command;

(b) a flight crew member of the aircraft who is designated by the pilot-in-command; or

(c) a person, other than a person referred to in paragraph (a) or (b), who

(i) is designated by the operator of the aircraft, and

(ii) has successfully completed an aircraft surface contamination training program pursuant to Subpart 4 or Part VII.

(6) Where, before commencing take-off, a crew member of an aircraft observes that there is frost, ice or snow adhering to the wings of the aircraft, the crew member shall immediately report that observation to the pilot-in-command, and the pilot-in-command or a flight crew member designated by the pilot-in-command shall inspect the wings of the aircraft before take-off.

(7) Before an aircraft is de-iced or anti-iced, the pilot-in-command of the aircraft shall ensure that the crew members and passengers are informed of the decision to do so.[/quote]

See also CARs Standard 622.11 - Ground Icing Operations.

I think that Head Dissident has crossed the line. I hope Rick Reed (yes, that is the name of the Airport Manager) goes to the RCMP and asks for an investigation and launches criminal (if possible) and civil proceedings. I am all for free speech, but what H.D. posted is libelous and I hope he gets his butt sued off.

I think some people are under the impression that they are anonymous on the internet.

“The limit to anonymous speech is when a poster abuses his or her anonymity. Just because you’re not using your real name doesn’t give you a license to be abusive and disrespectful. If you break the law, especially with respect to libel and slander laws, then others may have the legal right to ask that your identity be revealed.”

[quote=“MiG”]I think some people are under the impression that they are anonymous on the internet.

“The limit to anonymous speech is when a poster abuses his or her anonymity. Just because you’re not using your real name doesn’t give you a license to be abusive and disrespectful. If you break the law, especially with respect to libel and slander laws, then others may have the legal right to ask that your identity be revealed.”[/quote]

Amen to that!

I completely agree!!

I also was curious as to how you think this statement not only makes RR feel, but what about the staff member you are referring to! Go ahead HD, I am not sure about the others, but I know I am waiting for your response smiles sweetly

[quote=“PeachyKeen”]

I also was curious as to how you think this statement not only makes RR feel, but what about the staff member you are referring to! Go ahead HD, I am not sure about the others, but I know I am waiting for your response smiles sweetly[/quote]

I agree Peachy - in fact, I think someone may need to have their head placed on the proverbial stick for all the towns people to see, to learn from, take note of and not repeat. This type of behaviour is inexcusable and should not be tolerated in any forum. It sounds like a personal vendetta - which is deplorable. In addition, comments such as this are inflammatory and there really should be consequences for these type of actions. One can not publically slander any manager or employee(s), especially accusing them of serious safety breaches - especially an industry that is safety-orientated. Reputations and careers could be destroyed for no fault of their own other than for some reason they ticked off a couple of bitter people, and word ‘got around’. This is unacceptable. IF one has integrity-based, honest concerns about a safety issue there are appropriate channels to go through – not a public lynching.

And to the commentor who wants to be on the YPR Board of Directors – your comments indicate to me that you have no business being on any Board of any sort. One would first need some good old fashioned common horse sense to know it is not acceptable to critisize the company/board you would like to become a member of. It sounds like your only mission to be appointed to the YPR board is to exercise a personal agenda and not an interest in the airport.

Just sayin…

Brilliant KB! My sentiments EXACTLY!!

I know the people who work at the airport personally. I would take my 3 year old daughter on any flight in the winter because I know these people take their jobs very seriously. I agree with the other posters in saying this sounds like a personal vendetta. Someone previously fired by the sounds of it. How else would a person know all the inner workings of the place?? Anyways if you want to bitch and complain fly out of Terrace instead of slandering hard working people trying to do their jobs.

I do not believe anyone has been fired by YPR in quite some time; over 10 years? Four staff members were offered and took buyouts around a year and a half ago, if that is what you are refering to.