YPR craps the bed again!

Farwest/First Bus = Worst airport “rampies” I’ve ever seen. Had they worked for Buffalo Airways, Joe would “fire” them everyday.

So a pressurized commercial aircraft flies at an altitude of around 25,000ft and flies at vertical air speed of 450km/h, and you think it somehow won’t freeze up because of warmer weather at lower altitude?

ಠ_ಠ

mig…both flights cancelled today.

its not the respobsibilty of ypr to do de icing…its air canada express who has contracted firstcanada aka farwest

de icing can be a requirement with temps as high as 8 degrees celcius…

i just drove home and seen the de icer on the lot of farwest,

[quote=“crazy Horse”]@Mig

The inflight icing is taken care of by the plane. The issue is here is while it is on the ground.[/quote]

Only on leading edges of props and control surfaces through the use of de-icer boots and/or bleed air. Ground de-icing is just as important as to prevent further ice build up.

[quote=“mcsash”]mig…both flights cancelled today.

its not the respobsibilty of ypr to do de icing…its air canada express who has contracted firstcanada aka farwest

i just drove home and seen the de icer on the lot of farwest,[/quote]

Then who does the de-icing/anti-icing service for Hawkair. YPR labourers with squirt bottles filled with glycol? =.=

[quote=“PLA”]

[quote=“crazy Horse”]@Mig

The inflight icing is taken care of by the plane. The issue is here is while it is on the ground.[/quote]

Only on leading edges of props and control surfaces through the use of de-icer boots and/or bleed air. Ground de-icing is just as important as to prevent further ice build up.

[quote=“mcsash”]mig…both flights cancelled today.

i just drove home and seen the de icer on the lot of farwest,[/quote]

Then who does the de-icing/anti-icing service for Hawkair. YPR labourers with squirt bottles filled with glycol? =.=[/quote]

farwest does it for hawkair…and now brace yourself…for the air ambulance…hopefully not medivacs are required cause that will be a no go also…

@PLA
I was referring to Mig’s statement that it wasn’t just the weather at Prince Rupert, but that the weather between Vancouver and Prince Rupert was a factor.
It isn’t, because the plane has the deicing equipment you mention while in flight. It is only while it is sitting on the ramp that ground deicing is required.

Reassured helicopters are usually hangar queens, or fully covered if outside during crap winter weather. No Farwest “rampies” required.

[quote=“PLA”]

Reassured helicopters are usually hangar queens, or fully covered if outside during crap winter weather. No Farwest “rampies” required.[/quote]

thanks tips…helicopters only go from the hospital to digby…they then meet a beechcraft plane who takes the patient to the big city hospital…farwest DOES de ice those aircraft…

we have a serious situation here …now it can affect medical transports…

Thanks for the clarification on when you need de-icing. Didn’t realize the aircraft could do it in mid-air as well.

Hey, mechanical things break down all the time. Nobody’s to blame for that. But you’d think that having some kind of backup would be part of the plan.

Whatever the level of bitching on HTMF over it, I’m sure they’re hearing orders of magnitude more bitching from the airlines.

So, why don’t you and MadMax step up and put your nominations in to fill two of the seats on the Airport Board. Nominations have opened. Show us you know what you’re talking about. Both you and MadMax seem to have lots of opinions about the failings of the current Board, so armed with your insights, fixing things from within should be easier for the Board. I’m serious.

[quote=“MrGonzo2006”]

So, why don’t you and MadMax step up and put your nominations in to fill two of the seats on the Airport Board. Nominations have opened. Show us you know what you’re talking about. Both you and MadMax seem to have lots of opinions about the failings of the current Board, so armed with your insights, fixing things from within should be easier for the Board. I’m serious.[/quote]

I don’t believe that a “board of directors” is the right way to approach this, the whole system is flawed… that being said, I don’t blame the people on the board, I just don’t see the airport going in the direction it needs to be going in… and unfortunately that direction takes money, something that is surely lacking when it come to YPR’s operating fund.

If half of what I’ve heard is true, flights shouldn’t even be allowed to land or depart from Rupert… Apparently our airport is in complete violation of the Aeronautics Act on numerous occasions (untrained staff being the most important)

[quote=“MrGonzo2006”]

So, why don’t you and MadMax step up and put your nominations in to fill two of the seats on the Airport Board. Nominations have opened. Show us you know what you’re talking about. Both you and MadMax seem to have lots of opinions about the failings of the current Board, so armed with your insights, fixing things from within should be easier for the Board. I’m serious.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion MrGonzo. At the end of the day when planes can’t land at an airport because of a broken down piece of equipment that is vital to an airports operation, the Airport in general looks bad. My initial post was typed with a little anger at the time, sorry if i insulted you. Where dose the airport spend all it’s money? You seem to know more than me.

i couldnt find any info on the “board”…

i would like to sit on it…i think i have enough expierence with in the community and at the airport…

i surfed the ypr site and couldnt find anything,although i know 2 memebers on the board…

i will apply when the opportunity comes availble…i have exp in the manegent side of thing and the unions side of things whicj i thihnk is detrimental here…

forward me fellow HTMF ers…the application for ypr board member applications…

Morning flight is on it’s way to YPR as we speak… So things are back to 'normal"

I know someone that was informed Sunday that the flight on Monday was cancelled and they had to drive to terrace to fly out of there. They told me mechanical.

[quote=“mcsash”]i couldnt find any info on the “board”…

i would like to sit on it…i think i have enough expierence with in the community and at the airport…

i surfed the ypr site and couldnt find anything,although i know 2 memebers on the board…

i will apply when the opportunity comes availble…i have exp in the manegent side of thing and the unions side of things whicj i thihnk is detrimental here…

forward me fellow HTMF ers…the application for ypr board member applications…[/quote]

I believe the package is at City Hall. It may even be available on the City’s website. Go for it!

For the record – YPR does not own the equipment that broke down. That equipment is owned by a company contracted by the airlines. However, breakdowns will happen from time to time no matter what kind of equipment is being operated – or where it’s being operated. You deal with the issue and move forward. Unfortunately breakdowns are a reality of a mechanized world but do not lose sight of the fact that to the credit of the contractor, the equipment was up and running within a much shorter timeframe than originally projected. Kudos to the mechanics.

Technically the “Airport Society” does not exist as the name was changed many moons ago.

From experience in career positions over the years, new staff does NOT mean ‘untrained’. If anything, new staff - in particular staff new to an industry vs. a pFosition (in this case, aviation) will typcially study, make an effort to learn and work harder than everyone else. They not only try harder but also focus very carefully to ensure their tasks are carried out with great care and diligence. If anything, the new employee is much more safety conscious and safer to work with than a jaded, complacent & lazy employee just filling space & time until the end of each shift. These human wastes of space are the true danger.

Time brings experience to a new employee and yes, experience is desirable. However, it is not reasonable or realistic to expect experience within any specialized field in a small town like Prince Rupert. It is always better to hire for a team fit and then educate, train & mentor that person so they become both a superior employee and team member.

Do you really think that any manager would risk people’s safety by putting someone in the field who was not competent? Clearly you do because you have said it however if you do the research & ask questions in a constructive manner of the manager or members of the Board, you will start to see a very different picture - as I have come to see.

Just sayin …

[quote=“kbrentzen”]From experience in career positions over the years, new staff does NOT mean ‘untrained’. If anything, new staff - in particular staff new to an industry vs. a pFosition (in this case, aviation) will typcially study, make an effort to learn and work harder than everyone else. They not only try harder but also focus very carefully to ensure their tasks are carried out with great care and diligence. If anything, the new employee is much more safety conscious and safer to work with than a jaded, complacent & lazy employee just filling space & time until the end of each shift. These human wastes of space are the true danger.

Time brings experience to a new employee and yes, experience is desirable. However, it is not reasonable or realistic to expect experience within any specialized field in a small town like Prince Rupert. It is always better to hire for a team fit and then educate, train & mentor that person so they become both a superior employee and team member.

Do you really think that any manager would risk people’s safety by putting someone in the field who was not competent? Clearly you do because you have said it however if you do the research & ask questions in a constructive manner of the manager or members of the Board, you will start to see a very different picture - as I have come to see.

Just sayin …[/quote]

Isn’t there something you should disclose!

The piece of equipment is junk!!!Not much better than the old one it replaced…how often does it get used in PR? As for the people…what training?go from recycling to the airport and…