You're grounded

There’s nothing wrong with Soltek boards. I’ve built tons of systems with them, and we’ve bought lots of them at work. Off the top of my head, I can only remember RMAing 2 out of maybe 40 Soltek boards that I’ve used. Some would say that a 5% failure rate is too high, but when I did, it usually wasn’t because the entire board was toast. Both times it was issues with the onboard sound, where one of the front channels wouldn’t work. Sure, we could have just thrown in a cheap sound card and not worried about it, but we still had some warranty, so why not.

I’m running a Soltek right now… It kicks ass.

Whats a safe temperature for a CPU to run at?

Ahem it all depends on the cpu… intel can get hotter than a amd and not kill it self they just shut off… a amd will get hotter and hotter and hotter and burn them self out…

i have an AMD Athlon… its just today i tried to switch fans, they run at different rpm’s, but that doesnt nessecarily mean that the BTU’s will be different. How do i check CPU temperature and RPM of fan thru Windows XP? I know i can do it with the bios, but id rather not reboot

Au Contrair. AMD chips have had onboard thermal diodes just like Intel for the last 3 years… since the Palomino cores came out. It’s not as advanced as Intel’s, where it’ll throttle down the clock speed, but it will instantly shutdown your computer. So it’s not true that Intel’s can get hotter than AMDs. They are both spec’d to be able to run in the 60-70 degree Celcius range safely.

Do a search on Google for Motherboard Monitor. It supports more motherboards. If not, then your motherboard should have came with a similar utility as well.

btw, its an AMD Athlon 1Ghz none of this XP faz… shouldnt get too hot i suppsoe. thanks for the help. il probably jsut play in the new fan and monitor the temp and shut down when i feel its unsafe

I terminated a Terminator w Athlon 2000+. It was attached to our Fort St James LIVE webcam and I guess the 90mm case fan died Fri nite…

When I came in Mon I could smell cooked ccts and the box was just screaming. THe power supply fan had cooked as well and only the chip fan was going. I hit reset, figuring the system was toast anyway and bios warned the athlon was at 92 degrees…

but after sitting in a backroom for a week or so I hooked a regular 300W PS to see if anything was salvageable. The damn thing booted and waited for a boot drive. It’s sitting in the workroom now with a big chunk whacked out of the case to fit the 300w supply (can’t get any originals) just to look up drivers & tech tips on google…

Swapped the Athlon out for a Duron 1100 and my friend’s used the athlon since Xmas!

Celerons are usually a sign the rest of the system is crap too!

My computer MB software has a program to check the Processor heat… green is 45 and below and my computer has been on for 4 days now and its @ 51… so its ok… i have 4 fans in my computer too

I dont’ know of any generic third party applications that let you monitor your computers temp/fan speed. If your board is equipped with a thermal diode, it may have come with some software, like Timbits is talking about. The program that came with my board is called Soltek HM (Hardware Monitor), it shows cpu temp, and other sensor temps along with fan rpm, volateg readings and other info…

Check your discs that came withthe baord.

AYe landon, got the same thing.

i have all my stats trhoguh the BIOS, but here they are:

Stock CPU Fan: 56C @ ~5532 RPM
New CPU Fan: 58-59
C ~3993 RPM

theres a big gap in the rpm’s but i this one probably moves more air, anything to be concerned about?

Just a program i bumped into…

It’ll monitor stuff and let you tweak some things, like fan speed… I havn’t tried it but a dude I play BF1942 with is having some fun making his fans go up and down…

almico.com/speedfan.php

I was using Hmonitor. its okay, but i dont know how accurate it is.