You're grounded

Funny… the only time I ever had to change a jumper was to change the Front Side Bus speed from 100MHz/133MHz to 166MHz/200MHz, and gasp I’ve had to do that on plenty on Intel boards too.

And yes, I’ll admit, I used to love my good ol’ Celeron 300A, but one thing you neglect to remember, is that at that time, the Celeron ran neck and neck with Pentium II, but to the much faster cache. The Penium4 Celerons are simply awful. They’re about 40% slower clock-for-clock than a comparable Pentium4, and get absolutely destroyed by Athlon XPs.

ill take the p4 over any amd… amd gets to hot you hae to have a decent good cooled case… my first amd was a duron… i liked it but after running p4’s i like them alot better…

i love my AMD Athlon chip, wouldnt trade it in unless it was for like an Athlon 64 or something

Are you kidding me Jason? AMD too hot? In case you haven’t noticed the last two years, Intel’s own documentation will tell you that the Pentium4’s put off WAY more heat that Athlons. I’m talking about 20% more, or almost 20 Watts. Now, that’s with the “Northwood” Pentium4’s. The newer “Prescott” Pentium4’s put off over 30 Watts of more heat than any Athlon CPU available. In fact, every single Prescott level Pentium4, with the exception of the 2.4A, and spec’d to put off over 100W of heat. The fastest AMD CPU, the FX-53 at 2.4GHz, puts off about 75W of heat.

I wonder how these new amd 64’s perform then… Are the worth buying right now and useing. ? or is it best to go dual zeon. ?

I like my P4, but hear good things about the Athlon64.

got a quad zeon 700. runs dns, squid & nat for our internet.

but I’d rather play with my athlon 2500. don’t know what the probs are I’ve put together hundreds. Durons had some quality control probs (bent pins on many).
Alwats wanted to try a shelf of Asus Terminator boxes w Athlon 2200 chips (dirt cheap) for servers

The Opteron == Athlon 64. With that said, in a server environment, in the majority of things you can do, the Opteron beats the Xeon. The more CPUs you add, the more the Opteron destroys the Xeon. Anandtech did a test review of the 4MB L3 cache Xeons, and put that against the Opterons. In 2-way configurations, they’re pretty close. The reason for that is because the Opterons have independent buses for each CPU, while the Xeons all have to share. That’s why the Xeons have to have gigantic (and expensive) L3 caches. If you put the Opteron against the Xeons without large caches, the Opteron is untouchable by the Xeon.

Source: http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1982

tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Pro … ra-64.htm#

I like this board… onboard 4 x sata and 2 x scsi and 2 x 64bit pci’s NICe board…

$$$$ ?????

thinking about an Asus board, no SCSI tho. About $140

don’t know waht the 3 Ghz 64s are. Last time I checked ~ $300

this board… ncix.com/products/index.php? … n=SK8V-UAY

and um amd doesn’t make a 3gig 64 cpu : O) there only at 2200mhz…

AMD ATHLON64 FX-51 PROCESSOR 2200MHZ S940 RETAIL BOX
AMD64 FX-51 2.2Ghz, 1MB L2 Cache, Socket 940, Heatsink/Fan included, 3 year Warranty

$1,111.26

hmm I dunno. Promise RAID controller. The one athlon system i had a problem with used Promise IDEs… (4)

I had a ‘problem’ with my Promise RAID controller until I installed the drivers… Did you do that? 8)

my very first board that supported the amd was a asus A7Vwith 4 ide’s : O)

that’s the one. during the install windows would reboot & couldn’t find the CD. You had to complete the install, reboot w a floppy and copy the Promise driver to the desktop, reboot again, install the driver and reboot again to get the rest of the drivers…

Or do it the proper way. take the files off the cd and put them onto a floppy disk. then reboot with the cd rom in the drive boot off it when it ask’s for an 3rd party software drives you press s I THINK then point to the flopoy then it will work and install and use the driver’s : O) simple… you have to do this with sata too when loading windows on to the booting sata drive

if they’ll fit. Or what I used to do with 98 was to boot from floppy, make a folder full of drivers then install Windows.

Hey I have one of those!

Sorry, but that’s the only thing I can add to this conversation :frowning:

i have a AMD XP 2500+ and it runs great, never gets too hot or nothing, i have a (shudders) soltek board… but thats cause of cheap ass boxin day sales on NCIX…its not too bad of a board… but i had a Intel P3 and a Durron 1100 and i like AMD so much more, and the price is sure right, always been like that, pay less get same quality.

You pay for for Intel cause the name :stuck_out_tongue:

Like microsoft, if 2 companys made the same game… say… Activison or Microsoft and activison played the same and cost 30$ cheaper… what would you get?