Wolves in mclymont park stairs in broad daylight!

I think a wolf would probably find it a tad odd that you were idiotic enough to crawl into its den but I know the inference you are making! I am just trying to reach 100 posts and picked on this one :smiley:      as for predators in the area, I would check with the RCMP if I were you as to the number of known  human predators in our area and then at least double that for the number of shit-holes that walk around town with their airs and lurking in their backgrounds is a past truly worthy of you protecting your young. I would never leave my young kids unattended in this town, anywhere. at least we are aware the wolves are here and we are armed with some degree of knowledge and forethought, the other predators, not so much… On a lighter note, does my name ‘Mavis Beacon lover’ change after 100 posts, I don’t really like that one so much…  Thanks guys :smile:

I really like this point. You or your kids are far more likely to be attacked by a human than by a wolf.

Yesss, they’re up to something big alright, these animals. Stephen Colbert has already sounded the alarm. A month or so ago on his show, he had a piece about an octopus that can open a jar and a shrimp running on a treadmill. Yes, something very big . . .

apples and oranges, were is your proof that wolves are coming in “droves” and how many constitute “droves” 1 …2…3…10…or more. you assume its the whole pack who are coming in to town and and setting up a den site on your front lawn… when the truth of the matter is that you have a few individuals coming into to town for a few nights and are back to MNT HAYS. So please keep protecting your children, and pets. keep garbage off the streets and pet food indoors.

Well CobyBear5 has some real point there as far as preditors go in this fine town we have here . Many of these individuals walk around in sheep clothing or just plain suit , they have Dens in many areas of this town which is turning worse as the days go by. So right on Coby Bear 5 , but as for your name change well I believe that will stick with you for about another year or so , maybe. You will always be known as the cat lady to all of us .

You know, there are all kinds of predators.  Human, bear, cougar and wolves.  Just because some are more inclined to attack than others should we take any of them lightly? There are also many kinds of dangers.  You just  have to look at the two people who died in the slide near Terrace to know that anything can happen at any time.

My point about wolves is not that they are more of a threat than a pedophile or a cougar but that they have the potential to cause some tremendous tragedy in our community.  We’re not talking about isolated incidents.  The encounters have been more frequent. You can throw all of the stats that you want to at me and my opinion will remain the same.  There are documented cases of wolves attacking people for whatever reason.  Maybe predatory, maybe defensive.  Their food source is within the confines of our community.  We are not in their territory.  They are in ours.  Something will happen and I’m sure when it does the victim will be blamed by many of you. 

Okay.  You’ve made your point.  Some proof of your claims would be nice.  Where are these numerous documented cases you are talking about?

Hitest the stats that you can find are recent, and yes there have been wolf attacks in BC and other provinces as well, and one death 2 years back that is still under investigation. I would also like to add that all wolf attacks can be attributed to starving, unhealthy or habituated wolves. Again I can’t stress this enough there has never been an attack on a person from a healthy wild wolf.  I will admit that there seems to be one wolf that comes into town that has been habituated because stupid people feed it. This wolf has came up to people looking for a hand out, ismellfish this is a wolf that needs to be dealt with right now. But it’s our fault he is the way he is. Another story I received is about some golfers who had there golf ball stolen by two playful wolves on the golf course. It pissed him off as it cost him a stroke.

Thanks for your reply Astrothug.  I appreciate your honesty.  There have been attacks for multiple reasons and there is a risk associated with having wolves so close.  WE may in fact be contributing to the problem, like you said, and if that is the case it still needs to be addressed.  An unhealthy wolf can also exist on Kaien Island as easily as a healthy one.

Beyond the unhealthy, habituated or starving wolf I still have concerns about wolves protecting their kill if anyone happens to walk across it.  Halfway to Terrace is their turf and you’d better expect it.  Walking the McClymont trails should be a safe area.

Read back in the recent threads on the topic.  They are listed there. 

I see one story in this thread about someone in a kayak being attacked.  I checked around for the numerous other attacks you’ve spoken about.  I don’t see them. 
Link?  I’ve probably missed them somewhere.  Thank you. :smile:

Sorry that’s a human thing, putting boundaries, and imaginary borders  on everything; wolves and wildlife can be and will be anywhere, including in cities much larger then ours, look south to Los Angeles, and you have coyotes who have adapted to living next to 10 million people. Closer to home Vancouver, bears, wolves, cougars… why because we encroached on their territory.

The Kayaker that was attacked happened a few week backs, I got wind of it and asked around, the wolf was being tested for rabies but also seemed to be starving, and unhealthy.

About wolves and a deer kill, I have seen deer remains in Moresby park, (no idea if wolves or bear did it or it died naturally; cause that happens too, and in front  of the grain elevators. a friend found a recent dear carcass just up behind 1000 steps area. And low and behold no wolves. Your fear of your child finding wolves near a fresh kill site are going to be next to nothing, a few reasons why wolves mostly hunt at night, so unless your kids play in the forest at night, you still have a much higher chance of being hit by lighting. Wolves right now are taking the remains to den site to feed the pups. Your most likely going to find secondary animals attracted to the deer carcass before seeing a wolf their.

But its all good, and about the problem wolf its one wolf and its probably not part of the pack anymore for what ever reason, or is so low in the pack it does not get enough food, its found that 2 legged people will throw food at it, if it comes up to there car’s. easer then eating barriers and chasing rodents, which by the way right now is the staple diet for wolves, yep that’s right they eat barriers and mice, seen so much mice vertebra in scat its not funny. So ya I hope you found this to be insightful and if you didn’t I can find more facts for ya…

Okay.  I’m still waiting for the evidence about “numerous attacks on humans”, ismellfish.  You said that these are, and I quote, "not isolated incidents."
One attack is a statistical anomaly, it is not a trend.

Geeez…  I do have a life you know. Its not my job to be searching threads for you but here goes…
hackingthemainframe.com/smf/inde … 41.30.html

Page 3 posted by ChrisJ

Your welcome.

Why does it always have to be that we are in their territory?  They have thousands upon thousands of square miles to roam outside of where we live.  I’m sorry but urban settings are no place for wild animals.

Great!!  I’m glad you survived it.  Tell me more when you come across a carcass or feed that has wolves close by.  That is if you make it out alive yourself.  Wolves don’t diappear at night.  They might hunt at night but they are active in the day as well.  I don’t think that I’ve seen any of your posted pics of wolves being taken at night.

you never saw my night shots becouse you never went to my webpage if you did you would see me following the alpha female and video and pictures… so here is video and pictures.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Too funny ismellfish… you need to do some more investigating instead of what you think will happen. I have been out with the wolves 4 Am just at sunrise, and at dusk, I have witnessed there howls after a hunt watching the wolves run away from me into the dark. I have watched 4 wolves come over a hill and separate in to 2 groups and run two the sides of us. I have come up on the wolf pack sleeping at the summer den site 8 wolves; 6 adults and 2 pups run into the surrounding area. I have pics of the last pup 3 feet away from me running into the bush with the alpha’s on either side of us 30 to 40 feet away howling. Do not patronize what I have done. And continue to do. I offer you my experiences and you offer your thoughts on what ifs and what not.!!!

This is becoming a case of which came first, the chicken or the egg, but in this case the wolves were here first and we have infringed on their territory. as always we humans have to take advantage of everything, our needs or more to the point our wants are greedy and inconsiderate of the nature surrounding us. They are here because there is a constant food source, they are enticed into our neighborhoods by our garbage etc. and then when they are dependent upon us, we complain that something should be done. They are urbanized or habituated to our way of life and cannot be relocated, they would have to be killed and that is according to our conservaton officer in Terrace when I spoke to him after my encounter last year up Wantage Road. We are to blame and ought to be ashamed of not only the habitat displacemant of the wolves but for all the damage we have caused and I have to thank you astrothug for the awesome work that you and your girlfriend are doing. I wish I had the guts to do what you do. I admire and envy you your ability to perform this very informative work.  Beautiful photos by the way :smiley:

I would like to add, that not all the wolves on the island are habituated, the alphas for example will growl and howl at you if you come into contact with them. It’s the 1 and 3 year old wolves that are more inquisitive when they come into contact with humans, they are unsure and will follow at a distance, this has happened many times when there not with the alphas, If their with the alphas they will run away at the first howl that they make.
Regarding moving them, I believe most of the pack could be relocated without much problem, if you could find them. The recourses and the time it would take would be costly, it would be easer for the government to just shot them on site, and again it would be costly because you still need to track 8 wolves most of the time these wolves are in small groups of 2 to 3 at a time, on an island that covers more then a few hundred square miles of dense forest.

The thing is if moved or shot, another group of wolves will move in and take their place living along beside us, what we need to do is be aware that these animals are here, and will continue to be here, no matter what some people think.

I would also like to say this since Stacey and myself have started doing what we have been doing people are more aware and the response we get on the most part are positive, I’m so glad that all of you who have been chatting on this site regarding the wolves, and in the different threads are making a difference, even ismellfish with his doubts you are making a difference, you are more aware of the beauty that’s found in our forests. 

Thanks for the link.  Yes, I can see there are multiple attacks.  But, not a huge amount of attacks.  The thread also mentions about 100 deaths reported in India in the 1980s ( a country with a population now of 1.1 billion).
What is not clear about the data is the health of the wolves involved in each of the attacks.  Are rabid wolves, healthy wolves, starving wolves involved?  Are you more likely to be killed by a wolf as by a bear, cougar?  I’m still not convinced that wolves are blood-thirsty killers.  I’ve mentioned that I’ve had a close encounter with two wolves and lived to tell about it.  Also, Astrothug has had multiple encounters with wolf packs. 
Anyway, thanks for the information.  I will indeed be aware and be careful when I’m out and about.
I think the jury is still out on the danger posed by wolves to people here on the North Coast.

I am not patronizing what you have done.  I admire your effort and dedication.  I am just countering some of what you are saying and you are doing a bang up job of selling your points.  I still do have my opinion though and it will remain the same.

You have posted pics now that show them active at both day and night.  You had mentioned that they do most of their hunting at night.  Do they feed during the day?  Again, I think you missed my point.  You have many pictures of wolves active during the day and suggest that my kids will be okay unless they are out in their neighbourhood at night. ----

These growling wolves that you speak of are exactly what I don’t want my kids to run into on their walk to school.

We just disagree and that is ok.  You do great work on behalf of the wolves but I still do think that if you really want to be taken seriously then you need to be a little more sensitive as to the concerns of others.  These concerns are real.  I don’t buy for a second that we are in their territory.  Man has always lived socially, like ants.  An anthill is their domain just like this community is ours.  There are lots of other places that the wolves could be.  Perhaps the deer are bringing them in, perhaps it’s dumping on Wantage Road thats doing it.  Whatever it is, it needs to be dealt with before we have something happen similar to what happened to the kayaker down the coast.  I’d never blame you Astrothug, if there was to be a wolf attack in our community but I’d be on pins and needles waiting to see what you would have to say if something were to occur.  Mind you, your activity could be a detriment to us all as you are contributing to their comfort level around humans.  Farley Mowat studied them in a safe environment away from an urban environment.  Perhaps your activity in such conditions as we find ourselves in is dangerous.  These wolves may over time become de-sensitized to human contact and feel safe coming into regular and close contact with people in town.  The natural way is for them to feel as if we are a threat.  It should remain that way.

It takes just one.

There is a 12 year old boy in Clinton that is alive after a “close encounter” with a cougar  yesterday.  There is also a kayaker that lived to tell about his wolf encounter.  I’ve encountered bears at close range and have lived while others have not been so lucky.

Anyways, we’re beating a dead horse here.   I agree that we all have to be careful while out and around town.  Points have been made and I appreciate what you have to say.

Having lived in the Rockies for seven years and seeing the effect of habituation on bears,elk and deer and the resulting interactions that often ended with the death of the animal involved, I am in total favour of making human inhabited areas uncomfortable or perhaps I should say “unwanted” for the wildlife involved, if only to protect their lives in the long run. Bear Aware programs work hard at making sure that neighbourhoods give no reason for transiting or hungry bears to visit there (all garbage locked away, fruit trees picked,etc) and even then we still sadly saw both grizzlies and black bears shot when they broke into homes,etc…elk came onto mining land by highways because predators didn’t like the open areas and ended up dead by train or car/truck/semi. In most cases the animal paid the price for being too bold and entering into a situation where in the long run, they just cannot win.

I don’t think there is an easy fix for the wolf situation up there but I can tell you that the more these wolves become habituated to life on the outskirts of your city, the more potential for problems grow and the odds of having to kill pack members after they get too bold increases. Cutting back on the deer population would be a start, where to go after that is the harder part…