Wolves in mclymont park stairs in broad daylight!

just got chased out of the stairs by two wolves, was walking my pup when i saw her tail drop straight down. i look up there it is fifteen to twenty feet in front of us right at the entrance to the trail as you come off the concrete walkway in beween the stairs from 8’th ave to sherbrooke. we turned around and started a fast walk back towards the stairs, i look back and there is two of them, one much more bold than the other. he is sniffing where my dogs pawprints are on the concrete and following us towards 8th. jesus, i see little old ladies and such down there every night walking their ankle biters, i hate to think whats going to happen to them.  my pup sure knew that wasnt  dogs, she seems to know that they are wolves she always runs right up to other dogs and wants to play with them, this is the first time i have seen her be scared like that. even when we were a street away and she’s still watching for them scared to death.

I was walking up and down those stairs from Sherbrooke to 8th to go to school at King Ed every day for years when I was a kid, and maybe five or six times during that period (1991-1997 or so) there were wolf/bear scares. They never seemed to hang around long, they’d be spotted a few times, then nothing for another year or two.

Imagine that in broad day light, those damn wolves are not suppose to be out until after dark…LOL…You think they were chasing you. They smelled your dog and you were just the after thought of what they had in mind for your dog…

i hate fricken wolves seen one when i went for a walk the other day  by roosevelt scared the shit out of me dint know what to do… what are you suppose to do when you come in contact with a wolf??

I understand Astro’s love of wolves and actually I am fond of them myself.  The wolves in our community is a problem that has to be addressed.  Where can a person safely walk their dogs anymore?  The town has large treed spaces everywhere which is providing a safe and secure spot for them to lurk around.  How can one avoid them?  If I remember correctly, the RCMP shot a wolf a couple of years back in front of Breakers.  In my opinion that makes even walking your dog at the waterfront problematic.  Ridley is loaded with wolves, I’ve seen a few out there while walking my dog. Now I don’t go there anymore.  I don’t care what Astro or anyone else says, they are wild carnivorous animals that pose a threat to our pets and our children.  If a domestic dog such as a pitbull or rottweiler can harm a child then I’m sure that a wolf on any given day could do it too.  I’d like to see some action to get them out of the community.

hi guys Ridley is not loaded with wolves, the pack numbers of this pack hit its peak of 8 last year, and there has been a few deaths from vehicle’s during the last 8 months. This last spring saw the destruction of the spring den site. And with all the construction around Ridley we are seeing the wolves more on this side of the mountain going to the top of Mnt Hays you can find tracks and scat, something I was not able to do last year. The wolves use the micro forest and stick to the shadows, threw awareness people who once saw a lone dog running down the street now realize they are most likely wolves they are seeing.
The wolf that was shot a few years back was a very young wolf who was staving living of the scraps of humans (our Garbage). Look at wantage road look at the old road to the industrial site, its littered with garbage, garbage that brings in wild animals like bears and wolves. With the destruction of habitat on Ridley and local people treating our roads as there private dumping grounds, who is to blame?

About meeting a wolf, if you are walking with out a dog, You will be fine, throw rocks yell and it will leave you alone,  if you have a dog make sure you move slowly away from the wolf and never ever take turn your back on him. Leave the area as fast as possible but not to fast.

wasn’t me!

This incident is only now coming to light and while it has nothing directly to do with the wolves in and around Prince Rupert, it does illustrate the fact that a sick or badly wounded animal will attack even an adult if it’s starving. If that kayaker hadn’t been carrying a vest knife, this story might have had a much more somber ending. I’m not advocating going out and hunting down the wolves in your area at all but perhaps something along the lines of the bear deterrant programs to make hanging around the city a little less inviting might be a thought?? I’d hate to read about an interaction like this one happening if one of the pack members in your area was injured and was forced to act like this one did…

canada.com/vancouversun/news … 6820d548eb

"A kayaker’s life-and-death struggle with a hungry wolf on B.C.'s remote north coast – the second wolf attack in the province in seven years, and the first thought to involve predatory intent – has prompted a conservation officer to warn against taking wolf encounters too lightly.

“This was a predatory wolf attack,” conservation officer James Zucchelli confirmed in an interview from his Bella Coola Valley office. “That fellow was perceived as a prey source. He was attacked with intent to eat. The wolf saw him and took off running at him.”

That’s what you get for writing shit about them! :imp:

I think the recent wolf attack is an example of what is happening more and more not just with wolves, but with other predators such as bears and cougars.

These animals have lost their fear of man.

Fifty or a hundred years ago if a wolf or bear ran into a person in the bush, most likely the person would be armed and the animal would either run away or get killed.

There are fewer and fewer hunters and the average family doesn’t own a gun.  We are seeing the results of this now as we are becoming the lunch of choice for these beasts.

Perhaps a bounty on predators’ pelts would be in order.

One example of a person being stalked, attacked does not mean it is open season on us.  You have a much better chance of being killed at an intersection by a careless driver than being killed by a wolf.
Your post is rather over-stated.

hmmm interesting… I think if you looked at   Statistcs  over the last few hundrend years your post will not hold up, wolf attacks and wolf kills have been documented over the last 500 years and do not show any more then usual, wolf attacks on people, Also the wolves can be hunted year round unlike other wild animals. as for bear and cougars these animals do KILL every year when it happends people do not react the same as a wolf attack, people sure get bent out of shape when a wolf attacks a person… but when its a bear or a cougar it makes the news and then its forgotten until it happens again a wolf hurts someone and everyone is writing about it for weeks…maybe abit over reaction, but ohh well well said Hitest

[quote=“Astrothug”]
Statistcs  over the last few hundrend years your post will not hold up, wolf attacks and wolf kills have been documented over the last 500 years and do not show any more then usual, wolf attacks on people, [/quote]

Very interesting Astrothug.  Just curious, but I need to ask, who has kept these statistics?  I think you once referred to Europe, so possibly a European source?

yes dave its European source, they have been keep tracking  for 500 years most were from europe and india and attacks and kills, I’m not sure on attacks here in the americas, if there included.

One thing to point out is that bears and cougars are solitary animals.  If one roams into town it’s easy to get rid of or deal with it.  With wolves, it’s almost like an infestation because they are pack animals and travel in groups.  Maybe not as easy to clear out and at the same time multiplying the threat.

yes you would think because wolves are pack hunters that there would be more attacks on humans because there are of course more of them…but again Statistics show that’s not true, wolves don’t like humans and try to avoid them; cougars on the other hand will attack on site, you never turn your back on one because it will attack.

ismellfish; after reading your post again, I feel you are too bias on this subject, all you bring is fear and misunderstanding using words such as “infestation” to describe wolves that share the same territory as humans. You act like they are cockroaches (Maybe not as easy to clear out and at the same time multiplying the threat).
they are going to multiply untill they eat everything including us…
quotes from wolfen a novel by Whitley Strieber

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Thank you astrothug for your enlightening info and the photo is beautiful! I am in fear of them, out of respect for them, as I was sorrounded by 5 of them up on Wantage Rd. last year but I did what I think I was supposed to do.? Make noise,I flashed my camera at them and walked by them very slowly. The front one did lower its head, I would assume to warn me, I don’t know and I slowly made my way down to the City yard and they followed me about 20 yards behind. It was my fault but I did not know of the sightings at the time and headed up the road close to dusk. The worst time, I later was told. I was hyperventilating by the time I reached some light but amazed at the sight of these wonderful animals :smile: In Ontario, we have the awesome timber wolves but I have never been that close to one. I am appreciative of the experience but as I use the stairs a great deal, I may steer clear for a little while. I am a wuss!!!  Keep up the great work :smiley:

Biased?  Again you confuse fear and concern.  What do you suppose a wolf would do if I crawled into it’s den with it’s young?  Well they’re coming into mine in droves.  They have their own instinct and I have mine which is to protect my young.

Absolutely you should protect your young.  But, I think a common sense approach will work here.  That is, we are in wolf territory so be aware of your surroundings.  Don’t let your young children play alone, unattended.  The wolves are here on the island; keep your eyes open. 
It would be stupid to kill all the wolves here.  Nature abhors a vacuum; the wolves are here because we have a large deer population.  If you kill all the wolves then there will be more deer on our island.  I’ve yet to see any conclusive data that supports the argument that wolves have become blood-thirsty predators hungering for human flesh.