Wolf story Daily News July 25,2007

what the hell is a large problem in our community? that a wolf will come to eat all the little children or that the pack is going to move into town? or that a few individuals will want to take matters in to their own hands and do something and get someone hurt?

Talk about a broad statement.  You do that often; broad generalizations about something you don’t really know too much about.

I love the choice of words you use there ismellfish it read like something you would find at the supermarket tabloid counter.
And Like I said it was a chance encounter we had with our child, plus the wolf was a 2 year old pup that was less than 40 pounds, yep fricken frightening carnivore.

Have you ever seen a bear on the highway and pulled over to let your kids see.

what did you just do you introducing your child to a wild carnivore… were you crazy. Sure you were surrounded by 2 tons of steal but you did stop…

we agree to disagree, I will spend as much time as needed to inform the people of Rupert about the coastal wolves and how people are the problem and how we can live in safety in our community with other wild animals in the vicinity,  like many other small communities in our province.

(pic one)Here is a picture of a bear print behind oliver lake near the trail… people are going to find wildlife and carnivores anywere here.

(Pic two)and here are some pictures of the coast wolves we have photographed, this is a 1 year old pup about 40 pounds.

(pic three)and here is a black bear found on the highway.
(pic four) a wolf we named blondie.

As you can tell ismellfish I’m also a inspiring wildlife photographer. Most photographers are wildlife naturalist. Too photograph wildlife you need to have a keen knowledge of the subject you are photographing, and I spend a lot of time reading and studying  about different animals behaviors and such.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

You have just confirmed what I aleady suspected.  You are a complete idiot.  You only hear what you want to. 

To answer your question… No, I have not stopped beside a bear on the highway so your little analytical statement does not apply.  I have concerns that are legit.  You choose to disregard them.  Thats fine with me.  The fact remains that there is the potential for tragedy in our community and absolutely nothing is being done to minimize the threat.

I have rebbuted every question you asked or gave you an answer based in fact, I have chosen to use common sense and look at the facts that are there for people to find and use instead of fear mongering.

Your basing all your fears as facts, I’m asking where is your proof that your fear will come true? Its a hypothetical question.
It’s like you trying to convince me that there is a monster under your bed that you cant see but believe its there.
I don’t think the big bad wolf from the stories is going to eat the little children of Prince Rupert.

What??  You have never answered a question with a straight answer.  You speak of facts. The fact is that there is a potential for tragedy, however minimal you like to think, to the members of our community.

Prrof that my fears will come true??  What kind of stupid question is that?

Idiot!!!

see you resorted to name calling… whats next crying to your mommy…

more pics of local wolves
(photo 1) wolf in grass- this wolf followed us around for 25 min comming with in 10 feet of us, he laid down 3 times with in 15 feet of us, I have a picture of him in mid yawn. looks cool. see photo 4.
(photo 2) Baby wolf- this is a photo near the summer den site, all 8 wolves were laying in the grass, we came over a ridge all the wolves ran in to the near by trees, this little guy was about 15 feet in front of us laying in the brush he ran in to the tree line a about 10 min after the other wolves did
(photo 3) wolf laying down.
(photo 4) wolf yawning from his nap just in front of us.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Awesome pictures, Astrothug! :sunglasses:

I call it like I see it.  The above comment again proves that you are an idiot.

Despite the fact that there have been many documented cases of wolf attacks all over the world including Canada and BC, you can not admit that the potential for a tragedy exists in our community.  You do not answer questions directly and you provide only material that speaks more or less about the passive nature of wolves.  You continously confuse fear and concern despite my repeated clarification and although I have a legitimate reason for concern you can not admit that there is the POTENTIAL for something terrible to happen.  I’ve said all that I wish to say on the topic.  Again, I feel very good about my position.

I agree, great pictures!!  Looks like the wolf on the bottom was happy to see you again.

So, I’m wondering what has happened to your research about whether or not you were contributing to their comfort level around humans?  Scared to post the results?

ismellfish you have labeled Astrothug as an idiot in three separate posts.  I would appreciate it if you would please avoid the name calling.  This type of negative exchange accomplishes nothing.
This is an interesting discussion. :smiley:

I think I’m gonna get flamed for posting here but oh well.

Anyways, I believe that the deer are coming into town for protection, (weird eh?) But the wolves are starting to come into town after their deer, Shoot some deer reduce that population. Also remember the old dump? remember how many bears were there spitting distance from Haysvale? I don’t remember anything being said about them. (But I was a kid then, current events didn’t interest me at that time) But if that was happening today I’d say relocate, didn’t work shoot them.  Preventative measures should be taken, The approach “lets wait for an attack to happen THEN fix the problem” Doesn’t sit well with me.

I remember 25 plus years ago living on 6th west and a bear cub walked onto our porch.   I’m also pretty sure that more than once we drove to the old dump to look for bears, from the safety of the car - of course. 

To believe that deer can think and make a conscious decision about coming in to town to escape the wolves is some what funny, Deer are herbivores and grazers, grazing on grass and flowers and fruit that can be found in town.  It would be more conceivable that the deer have always been here grazing on the lawns and have come accustom to humans and there pets like dogs. Look every spring there are hundreds of fawns around town we have generations upon generations of deer here in town who have lived with in city limits their entire lives. Those same deer who are accustom to dogs.
Wolves of course look like dogs and the deer in city limits are easy pray.

Fidel Castro you are right and I have said it numerous times we don’t have a wolf problem we have a deer problem with less deer comes less wolves. So until deer can be removed safely from the island there are going to be wolves, if this pack disappears there will be another pack with in a few years. What is interesting when people and pets (big Dogs) who live with in wolf country the DNA gets mixed up due to wolves breeding with domesticated dogs and vise versa like what has happened on Vancouver island.

When you look at my photos of the coastal wolves you can see that they are inherently different then their counter parts the Gray wolf. The coastal wolves are smaller they have adapted to the ocean fishing for salmon and shell fish on the out coastal island wolves can swim miles from island to island looking for food.

Ismellfish: I’m still working on the hypothesis of wolves living in the proximity of humans when it’s done it will be posted.

The wolves here have been here a few generations already, wild wolves have a life span up to 10 to 15 years and the wolves here have been seen since who knows how long.

We have both as a problem.

and we always will… until there is something done about the deer… you cant have one with out the other…

It’s called survival instinct!! The deer come into town to escape the wolves. Your comments are assinine. At the request of hitest I will no longer call you an idiot, which  is what I would have called you again for that comment.

We have a wolf problem as a result of a deer problem.

I’ve indicated before as well that my feeling is that if the number of deer are reduced and wolves relocated the potential for a problem will be minimized.

Your funny are you an animal behaviorist, do you study deer in a laboratory?  Have you interviewed the deer to find out why they are here?
WHERE YOUR PROOF THAT DEER COME IN TO TOWN TO ESCAPE THE WOLVES.
I gave you the reason why deer are in town, they like many other animals have been here since the town was constructed. You think they were not here in the forest before the town was constructed?
  Your so rapped in your little world about how things should be you cant see how things are.
  Deer have always been here, just like the ELK in Jasper, BC you think the Elk moved into town after the town was build …OMG your so silly… You think just because there is a town in the middle of a forest that all the animals just got up and moved out into then woods and then returned because of the big bad carnivores that were out in those dark woods, LMAO ohh god your too funny.

I just emailed all your comments to a wildlife behaviorist I know I’m sure he’s going to have a good chuckle…LOL

Have you realy you  seen a wild animal in your life except those transpanted deer we have around here? I realy need to know…

Well I’m no expert but I can’t see that it’s a big stretch to think that the deer head into the city for safety from a predator. Astro is right. The deer have been here for as long as the city has, but couldn’t it be possible that that’s because they instinctively know that their main predator won’t be as much as a problem here? There may be a food source here in the city as well, but in my mind there would be WAY more food out in the forest for them.

It’s common knowledge that animals act on instinct Astro. As much as I think that fish is being a total dick in this thread I don’t see how you can just brush off his theory as complete non-sense.

In fact, as an outsider reading this thread I would say that both or your arguments are losing steam and getting less and less logical due to your obvious dislike of each other.

My opinion is that how many other towns have a deer problem such as ours here? I seen deer in town before but not in such great numbers, also wolves, when I was a kid you wouldn’t really hear of a wolf sighting, they are like ghosts in the bush, if they don’t want you to see them, you wont, seems to me like they don’t care anymore. Before a lot of towns were built there was forest anyways, so where are the deer in Vancouver, kelowna, Prince George, Terrace…Etc… You cant dismiss his argument like that, to be a proper scientist (Well I think so anyways) you have to keep an open mind, in which Astrothug you are not keeping, not trying to be a dick but It doesn’t help your arguments to belittle people and try to make fun of them.

don’t get me wrong animals of course act on  instinct but people here are confusing instinct with something other then. Instinct= deer running away from a predator, that is chasing it. Chase ends so does the predatorily instinct, grazing instinct kicks in and deer begin grazing. That’s it no more… 

But Astro… that’s exactly what’s being said. Wolves chase deer. Deer head to city because they instinctively know they are better protected than in the woods. (Learned behavior from their parents). The deer graze here for a while. The wolves eventually get hungry enough to brave the city and the deer leave. The whole thing repeats itself.

That’s how it was explained to me by someone who would know and it makes perfect sense and explains why we don’t constantly see deer in the city. They come and go.