Windows 7

looking at buying a laptop from what ive seen windows 7 is better than vista. mostly use it to download movies and use it as a media center.

anyone know any other pros or cons of it?

Um, it’s Microsloth … and that would be con.

If you aren’t interested in Macs you’re gonna get Win7. Don’t even consider a clearance Vista model. Even with the upgrade option.

1. You won’t get the upgrade in your hand.
  2. Have yet to hear of the upgrade actually working.
    Pro: better than XP and Vista. Been using an OEM Premium for over a week on a Netbook, toying with it on my Mac since the beta.
    Con: it Microsoft. The one BAD thing I head is the upgrade doesn’t work just like all the other Msoft upgrades didn’t either.

id love a mac but lot cheaper getting a pc. just mainly use a pc to surf and download now . wouldnt mind playing the odd game but i have my consoles for that lol

well, you know the new macbooks are like 1000$  or you could just buy a referb directly from apple and at 899$ for a macbook, GOD DAM! thats cheap. I know you can buy some cheap ass acer or cheap ass dell toshiba for 499$ but 499$ plus av software or spywware software just isn’t cool. Of course you can get the free stuff, but windows plus surfing = viruses easy.

store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/s … Nzc1MjQzMw

Haz a lookies!

Fixed that for you.

bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetai … atid=25254

how does this one look to you guys

i mainly want media center which windows 7 has
webcam - so kids can talk to grandma
wifi, bluetooth , BIG harddrive to store tv shows and movies lots of ram
remote control
lots of ram

seems reasonalbly priced

2 gigs of ram yuk!  says it has 4 but 2 is also shared EWW

Buy a mac :stuck_out_tongue:  battery life on that 17" is scary CRAPPY! heavy too,

You just said you didn’t want to spend as much as a Mac, and you posted one almost the price of a new Mac…

Yeah, it’s 17". It’s also an HP, notorious for riding on their former reputation.
Shitty keyboards, flimsily built and noted for going dead in a blink.
IMHO HP and Compaq are shit. Toshiba’s in the same range and better built.
But 4GB is plenty for Windows7, I’d be concerned that they don’t mention the video at all. They would if it was any good, so presume Intel video. Bleaaghh!

As for Mac, my gf is stunned that I’ve used this one almost a year. She’s always known me to check different models out for a month or two and sell them as demos. They’ll pry this Macbook from my cold dead hands.
Unless of course I decide to buy a bigger one for Christmas… heh heh.

BTW I’m not really trying to hardsell you a Mac.
If you want a PC, don’t buy a clunky 17" laptop. Buy a desktop AND a Netbook. 17" is too big to pack around.

I’ll never understand you people who chose a computer based on an operating system.  I mean sure if you want osx you ‘have’ to buy a mac… pick the computer with the best specs for the price and put an OS on it (probably not going to be a mac :wink:).

I just installed the latest ubuntu on my tower and am thoroughly impressed. Sure the tower came with vista but I didnt buy it for the OS i bought it because it had the best hardware for my price point.

If a mac had the best hardware for the price I’d be running ubuntu on my mac.

Notebooks are for portability, desktops are for serious work.  Want the best of both worlds, get a small notebook and a big-ass monitor (and USB keyboard and mouse while you’re at it).  Then just use the big monitor with the laptop when you’re not mobile.

Windows 7 is actually pretty good.  I’d say it’s about 2 generations behind Mac OS X, but your average user won’t notice or care.

If you’re shopping on price alone, then go for the cheap computer.  But think about the last time you bought a car or a pair of shoes or anything else.  If you didn’t buy the absolute cheapest car on the market or the cheapest pair of shoes at Zellers, then you might want to think about why you didn’t.  When you figure out why, then you’ll know why people buy Macs, or any other premium brand.

[quote=“jesus”]
I’ll never understand you people who chose a computer based on an operating system.[/quote]

Probably because you don’t run stuff that requires a particular operating system.  Some people do.

Ubuntu is awesome.  It runs this site.  But it doesn’t run Adobe Illustrator, or Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc.  Sure, you can find ways to accomplish the same job using open-source linux tools, but that’s only really cheap if your time is free.

Setting up HTMF didn’t take much of my time using Ubuntu.  In fact, that’s probably why I went with Ubuntu as an OS. 

If I want to go through 10,000 photos, do facial recognition, then automagically generate a flash-based (don’t ask) website based on a design I paid someone to create, then I’m not going to use Ubuntu. 

im not buying based on an operating system. more what i know my family can undestand with little instruction. vista from what ive seen is not worthwhile too much flash. mac i have nothing wrong with them but in podunk here little mac support and ive always used pcs so i can always figure them out. later on with more money i would probably get a mac for myself but for now for the family im looking at a laptop pc not really for portability but that it takes up less space . i may take it to work once in a while but for the most ppart it will be used on my couch accessing my downloads to watch on my ps3 on my bigscreen . just trying to find the right one with the best specs and see what you guys think of windows 7 .  :smiley:

Windows 7 is just fine, don’t worry about it.  Keep it updated.

Consider a desktop that sits in the corner with a wireless keyboard?
Laptops are always a compromise performance wise, not upgradeable (your stuck with what you bought as long as you own it) and expensive to repair.

But I’ll second Win7, its way better than XP and less annoying than Vista. Runs great on my  Netbook with 2 Gigs and only an Atom CPU.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Yeah, it’s 17". It’s also an HP, notorious for riding on their former reputation.
Shitty keyboards, flimsily built and noted for going dead in a blink.
IMHO HP and Compaq are shit. Toshiba’s in the same range and better built.
But 4GB is plenty for Windows7, I’d be concerned that they don’t mention the video at all. They would if it was any good, so presume Intel video. Bleaaghh!
[/quote]

I’ve owned an HP dv9000 for 2 years now and it’s still running. Currently has 1.5gb ram and running on Win7 Ultimate 32-bit, and runs better than it was with Vista  and XP. My only complaint is the fit and finish is crap, and mainly because I kind of physically abuse it like a slave… with chain.

My sister’s lappy meanwhile “died” last night, and it’s a 2 month old 15" Toshiba Satellite. Thank god for the 1 year standard manufacturer’s warranty… =.=

I guess I should have been more specific and said average email checking web browsing user. for them it doesnt matter if its vista, ubuntu or osx. Once they learn where to click to get email or ‘the internet’ they are happy.

I am however out of touch with what normal people require from operating systems and maybe I’m a freak but when I do graphics work I prefer the gimp.

Nah, you’re not a freak, you’re an open source guy like me.  Gimp also does the job for me.  We prefer to use FOSS ( free open source software), not proprietary software.

That’s why I think most people would be easily satisfied with a cheapo netbook computer. I know for myself, probably > 95% of the time I spend at a computer is using a web browser.