Windows 11 October 5, 2021

I did some digging and discovered that the first patch Tuesday for Windows 11 made performance worse for Ryzen CPUs. That was my experience. I’ll run 10 for now until they get the performance bugs solved.

Had my hopes up, I saw these Dell 3020s I got had TPM 1.2 that could be flashed to 2.0… but in real life I found the damn motherboards were made in 2013 and you can’t even access most of the BIOS. Most areas on the menu just show as blank, even if you reset the BIOS.
Did that to one, reset it to EUFI boot, secure mode, boot from USB first - and it couldn’t even read the Win10 USB stick. I have 2, one GPT one MBR as I never know what’s coming in for service. If I use the wrong one, it usually pops up an error message.
That’s one thing about Windows, your guaranteed no matter how many systems you service over how long, you’ll see several problems per week that you’ve never even heard of before!

1 Like

You’re right, herbie. It looks like Microsoft and AMD are releasing patches to deal with the Ryzen performance hit. I’ll likely update to 11 again at some point.

Ryzen performance patches

My Lenovo is now letting me know I meet the minimum requirements for 11. I may upgrade in place or wait awhile for an updated ISO for 11.

Windows update offered Windows 11. Downloaded, installed it. That went smoothly. Applied the cumulative patch for October 21st part of which dealt with the AMD slow down issue. I’ll know in a while if the patch worked.

Edit: Added a day later. After I ran disk clean-up/system clean up I removed 25-30 GB of my previous Windows 10 installation. The system is responsive again. The patch worked.IMG_20211025_213920

Don’t know why, my 28" curved monitor only has one HDMI input. one VGA. Been using my Pi with an HDMI-VGA adapter coonected to a VGA Y-splitter, because 90% of computers I work on only have VGA,
Bought an HDMI switcher for almost $100 just because. Don’t really need it, I just hadn’t bought anything for myself for so long… was the only thing in BestBuy I didn’t have already or even remotely wanted.
Just think… if they even HAD a new M1 iMac a year after their release I probably would’ve bought that. Or a 3D printer… boy if big companies only had managers with a brain they might not have so many empty shelves…

1 Like

OMG old lady called because her mouse was dead, even when she changed the battery. She even tried two older mice she had from before she "just’ bought that one from my store (remember?) and they didn’t work either. Could I come over and look at her computer?
I closed my store eight years ago.
And the mice that were even older didn’t work either. Imagine that!

2 Likes

Hahahaha! The dark side of me would inform her that the warranty has expired on the mice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

20 odd years ago we had a sidewalk sale at the shop. Someone bought a Win 98 desktop w mouse & keyboard, CRT monitor and Canon bubblejet off us for $35.00
AS they packed it to their car they asked the kid who worked for me “What kind of warranty does it have?”. As far as the parking lot goes, he answered.
I still get it. Sold a lady a computer I rebuilt for $50 because I knew she was having hard times. She brought it back three years later for warranty service… one of many. Including six years later: I bought it off the guy you sold the store to. So you’re obligated to fix it.

2 Likes

I’m currently playing with a new-to-me Dell 9020 desktop sporting a 3.2 GHz i7 CPU, 32 GB RAM, with a TB SSD. It works well enough with Windows 10 Pro. It cannot be upgraded to Windows 11 so I’ll apply patches to it until 2025 and then migrate the unit to Linux.
opensuse

After several months w WIn 11 on my laptop, I have yet to find anything other than inconveniences and annoyances.
#1 right click and copy&paste is gone. You must right click, pick more tools and copy&paste are the last damn options. Something I use several times a day
#2 weather notification is gone from the taskbar. Best feature of the last 10 update
#3 If you center all the icons and chop the ends off the taskbar, it’s called a DOCK. For the last couple decades,
#4 the START button has pretty much lost all it’s functionality losing the tiles that YOU choose to show in it.
Everything you could do with one click seems to now take two. You’re steered toward using your keyboard & search for what you used to just point and click to do.
A major step backward IMHO
Plus I didn’t buy a 28" monitor to chop it into a bunch of small screens. Useless feature for how I use this.

BTW I was told on another forum that I’m a total asshole because if the same person comes back again and again w the same problem, I charge a little extra. Hoping the financial pain will make them STFU and listen, to watch when I show them instead of wandering away.
Bookkeeper lady I showed years ago how to save month’s ends on a floppy. And how to save year end on a floppy. And how to email it as an attachment instead of driving the floppy to the accountant in P George.
Then for years I showed her how to save month’s ends on a CD. And how to save year end on a CD. And how to email it as an attachment instead of driving the CD to the accountant in P George.
For pretty much a decade now I showed her how to save month’s ends on a USB stick. And how to save year end on a USB stick. And how to email it as an attachment instead of driving the USB stick to the accountant in P George.
Well. she’s retiring, training a replacement and the accountant is now in Vancouver. So I’ve been asked to next month show her how to save the year end to a USB stick so she can drive the stick to Vancouver…
She’s taught the replacement every bad habit possible. CLueless that if you load the accounting file off the USB, it’s ON the USB, not the computer. To do the Society’s financials onto a spreadsheet, print it out, put it in the scanner and press the SCAN PICTURE button to save the spreadsheet on the computer as a goddam JPEG she can email to every board member for the next meeting.
The trainee mails them, because she knows how to do attachments on her hotmail account.Can’t do them herself because she has Telus and they farmed out mail service to Gmail, and that’s “just too confusing”.
We’re talking since the late 1990s there’s no way she’s gonna learn she can just attach the .xls file and send that.
So I’m an asshole for not still charging $25 for half hour’s work like in 1996?

1 Like

I’m running Windows 11 on my Lenovo Legion and it runs lean and fast since the AMD chip patch. No real complaints I use it mostly to stream Youtube, Netflix and Disney +.
I’ve reverted all of my other units back to Linux: Slackware, Debian, and Void. I’m running Void on an ancient T410 Thinkpad. Void is worth a look, it has a unique package management system. It’s a rolling release, but it’s quite stable.

Sorry I’m only doing linux on the Pi now. I have to use the Windows ones for work.
I don’t really mind 11 on the laptop, but work is easier with 10 on the big Ryzen’s 28" screen.
My eyes are dim, I cannot see
my specs are useless as can be…

I hate getting old. Can’t imagine doing a real rant on the laptop. Or updating https://westcoastfliar.com

1 Like

I hear you about your vision. It has been several years since I’ve had my eyes checked with the pandemic. I’m leaning in to my monitor to see. It blows.
I decided to move most of my units to Linux as I would be forced to do that anyway in 2025 (most units cannot run Windows 11). I use the Debian unit for virtualization. Retirement is wonderful. We can tinker on our own schedule.

Wahh! I rearranged my computer desk and dropped my TPLink router! RIP little buddy, unsold stock from when I closed the store.
I have a 16 port NetGear 1U from the old server rack sitting in the shed for 8 yrs… but no
Only stores left here are Fields (aka Not Good Enough to Be Sold on TV) and Red Apple (aka Couldn’t Even Sell It on TV). Miss having a stock of computer stuff.

A lady knocked on my door this morning holding a laptop bag. so I asked what was wrong with it, She gave me a puzzled look and answered, “Nothing. You lent it to me a couple years ago until my new one came. I never did get a new one, but we’re moving away tomorrow so I figured I should return it.”
No idea who the hell she was, don’t remember ‘lending’ one out and it looks only vaguely familiar.
???
Then I remembered I did loan one to my daughters friend in 2014. I wonder if SHE has got a new one yet…

1 Like

I’ve been running Windows 11 on my Lenovo Legion since October. Yesterday I blew out the install and installed Debian 11.2.0 using the netinstall ISO with non-free firmware. I installed the MATE desktop. Everything works including Zoom. I really missed running Linux. Windows free again. :slight_smile:

Just started working on computers again and haven’t had any tales to tell for a while:

Guy brings his computers today.
There were “all these wires and cables” connected to the tower he didn’t understand so he brought the monitor for me to get the virus out of.
Also brought his laptop, the son gave him for Xmas, that he didn’t need and never used because it “must be infected” because it was in his house with that infected desktop.
Pointed out he could take back the monitor, I need the tower and he told me he tried for hours but couldn’t unplug the network cable that went to his router from the back of the tower. Should he cut the network cable?
Uhhhhh… unplug the other end… duhhh!

I still have Win 11 on my laptop. I just use it to read news, FB, check my mail every morning. I understand there’s yet another major bit of MS shitfuckery (great Aussie term) on it’s way, Undoubtedly one with lots of features and no fixes for things that have annoyed me since Win 3.1
Win 10 stays on the desktop and I’ve been checking out the new 64 bit OS release on the Pi. Pretty damn good!

1 Like

Read his instructions he taped on the laptop box. Which he’d put back in the cardboard, taped all shut then put in a garbage bag and sealed with a tie.
And forgot to put in the charger…

A - remove ‘the virus’
B - then restore to factory settings
c- remove the battery.

Not wanting to spend an hour prying the case open to get at a battery and leave him a box of loose parts and it took the same charger as my laptop, I just clicked RESET. $75…Another $75 when I push in the tab on the network connector with a popsicle stick

1 Like