Windows 11 October 5, 2021

Got a bunch of Dell 3020s from an abandoned computer lab and I’d like to try it on one. They only have TPM 1.2 so it probably won’t work.
They were all set to legacy and most of the BIOS settings are blanked out so I’ll have to CLR CMOS too. Hope that won’t wipe the Pro key in the EUFI

1 Like

Damn! I just plugged everything in and booted up when I set up this big Ryzen box. It’s in Legacy Mode. Gotta switch to EUFI to turn secure boot on. PITA!!!

1 Like

Interesting! I’m seeing lots of anti-Win 11 videos on youtube! Don’t upgrade to 11 you’ll regret it, etc. I haven’t noticed any sizable glitchyness yet.
I kind of like the extra security mitigations that Windows 11 brings with TPM.

Windows 11 uses a different type of data compression algorithm compared to Windows 10. That is, you will download smaller updates with Windows 11; the updates come in faster than 10. Microsoft did this in part to support people who have slow Internet connections and data caps. I did notice that the updates came in quicker on the first patch Tuesday for 11.

Well that’s something. Working with Win10, Macs, Mint, Raspian every day I’m strill trying to figure out what’s actually different in Windows 11.
Just cloned my desktop’s boot drive for safety. I;'ll convert it to GPT and set the mobo to EUFI over the weekend and upgrade.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Shopping Daze in the North

WARNING - a lot of bad things said about upgrading Ryzens to 11. Claims of 15-30% peformance hits.

Yes. I’m starting to see this on my Ryzen unit. I may revert back to 10. But, where to go in 2025? Maybe to Debian. I wonder if M$ can issue a patch to deal with the performance hit. Decisions.

Finishing up a reload of Windows 10. Windows 11 was an interesting 15 day experiment on my Ryzen unit.win10

No doubt they’ll patch the problem soon enough. I’ll upgrade to 11 when I hear they have.
Works fine on my i5.

I did some digging and discovered that the first patch Tuesday for Windows 11 made performance worse for Ryzen CPUs. That was my experience. I’ll run 10 for now until they get the performance bugs solved.

Had my hopes up, I saw these Dell 3020s I got had TPM 1.2 that could be flashed to 2.0… but in real life I found the damn motherboards were made in 2013 and you can’t even access most of the BIOS. Most areas on the menu just show as blank, even if you reset the BIOS.
Did that to one, reset it to EUFI boot, secure mode, boot from USB first - and it couldn’t even read the Win10 USB stick. I have 2, one GPT one MBR as I never know what’s coming in for service. If I use the wrong one, it usually pops up an error message.
That’s one thing about Windows, your guaranteed no matter how many systems you service over how long, you’ll see several problems per week that you’ve never even heard of before!

1 Like

You’re right, herbie. It looks like Microsoft and AMD are releasing patches to deal with the Ryzen performance hit. I’ll likely update to 11 again at some point.

Ryzen performance patches

My Lenovo is now letting me know I meet the minimum requirements for 11. I may upgrade in place or wait awhile for an updated ISO for 11.

Windows update offered Windows 11. Downloaded, installed it. That went smoothly. Applied the cumulative patch for October 21st part of which dealt with the AMD slow down issue. I’ll know in a while if the patch worked.

Edit: Added a day later. After I ran disk clean-up/system clean up I removed 25-30 GB of my previous Windows 10 installation. The system is responsive again. The patch worked.IMG_20211025_213920

Don’t know why, my 28" curved monitor only has one HDMI input. one VGA. Been using my Pi with an HDMI-VGA adapter coonected to a VGA Y-splitter, because 90% of computers I work on only have VGA,
Bought an HDMI switcher for almost $100 just because. Don’t really need it, I just hadn’t bought anything for myself for so long… was the only thing in BestBuy I didn’t have already or even remotely wanted.
Just think… if they even HAD a new M1 iMac a year after their release I probably would’ve bought that. Or a 3D printer… boy if big companies only had managers with a brain they might not have so many empty shelves…

1 Like

OMG old lady called because her mouse was dead, even when she changed the battery. She even tried two older mice she had from before she "just’ bought that one from my store (remember?) and they didn’t work either. Could I come over and look at her computer?
I closed my store eight years ago.
And the mice that were even older didn’t work either. Imagine that!

2 Likes

Hahahaha! The dark side of me would inform her that the warranty has expired on the mice. :slight_smile:

1 Like

20 odd years ago we had a sidewalk sale at the shop. Someone bought a Win 98 desktop w mouse & keyboard, CRT monitor and Canon bubblejet off us for $35.00
AS they packed it to their car they asked the kid who worked for me “What kind of warranty does it have?”. As far as the parking lot goes, he answered.
I still get it. Sold a lady a computer I rebuilt for $50 because I knew she was having hard times. She brought it back three years later for warranty service… one of many. Including six years later: I bought it off the guy you sold the store to. So you’re obligated to fix it.

2 Likes

I’m currently playing with a new-to-me Dell 9020 desktop sporting a 3.2 GHz i7 CPU, 32 GB RAM, with a TB SSD. It works well enough with Windows 10 Pro. It cannot be upgraded to Windows 11 so I’ll apply patches to it until 2025 and then migrate the unit to Linux.
opensuse