Why I will be voting against the Conservative Party

[quote=“BoNeCrAcKeR”]I still like what Bill C-61 is set out to accompish.  Perhaps it needs some tweaking.  In an age such as ours protection for those who stand to have their copyrighted material copied and distributed  need the protection of our lawmakers. They have alot at stake.
[/quote]

You keep saying that, and I keep asking you why you think the current law doesn’t do this.  The current copyright law protects copyrighted material just fine.  What is it about the current law that you don’t like?

Well, we are their allies. That’s what the point of having allies is. So they can back you up when you get DIRECTLY attacked, like the States did. Our movement into Afghanistan to find Bin Laden was a fine cause. Granted, we haven’t even turned up some his dropped beard hairs, but it was initially a good movement. You don’t just abandon allies when they’re attacked.

Okay, so we know why you will not vote conservative, but what is the alternative?  I don’t think Stephane Dion is a great choice either.  And the NDP?  Would they get enough votes to be a viable option?  Green maybe?  Or protest vote?

I’ve thought in the past about voting strategically, that is, vote for someone who I don’t really want in power, but, the lesser of two evils.  I would rather have Dion lead the country over Harper.  But, I’m not voting Liberal or Conservative.  I’m voting for Nathan Cullen and the NDP led by Jack Layton.  Layton’s views are in alignment with what I think is best for Canada.  I know that Jack will not be the next PM, but, I don’t agree with the Liberal or Conservative party platforms.

The current law does not take into account all of the technological advances in the past decade.  Laws constantly have to be amended or adjusted to evolve with changing times.

I honestly think that some of the Bill is harsh but where do you draw the line? 

[quote=“BoNeCrAcKeR”]
The current law does not take into account all of the technological advances in the past decade.  Laws constantly have to be amended or adjusted to evolve with changing times.[/quote]

In what way?  The current law has been updated numerous times, by the way.

The law as it exists now doesn’t make any distinction between pirating an audio cassette, a VHS tape, or a DVD.  A lot of cases this year of websites being shut down and prosecutions, etc, under the current law.  Even though the current law doesn’t mention websites, mp3s, etc.  It still applies.

The new law makes a distinction between VHS and DVD, why?  Like you’re ok with making a backup copy of a VHS tape, but not a DVD.  What’s the difference?  Copy a VHS tape as a backup, and you’re not a criminal.  Copy a DVD and you face a $20k fine and a criminal record, no need to prove intent to pirate either.

Under the current law, if you copy a DVD or VHS tape, it’s perfectly ok.  As long as it’s for your personal use ie: you bought a DVD for your kid, but you don’t want him to scratch it up, so you make a copy and let him use the copy instead.  The current law is ok with this.

The current law will prosecute you if you copy a DVD and give a pirate copy to someone else.  Why is this new law needed?

I think our current law is great, and prosecutes criminals and pirates just fine.  You still haven’t answered the basic question, though.  What is the problem with the current law?  What specifically does it not cover?

Now if Harper was defending the Arctic against the US, I might not spit on him. However he has never stated who he is defending it from, and most of his cronies and supporters will infer it’s the Russians. And all it takes to “defend” the NW Passage is some sensors (like the MDA ones they were ready to sell to the US except there was such a stink they couldn’t) and a couple F18s.

I’ll give you ONE “trump” reason: appurtenance.
The forests of BC do NOT belong to the people of BC and the people have no right to expect any say in how they are used
If you believe in that, vote Conservative.
If you believe that the resources are owned by the Province as per the Constitution, and the Province is “owned” by its people, DON’T vote Conservative.

Here’s an example of how C-61 is actually stifling new technology, and stifling business.

marketnews.ca/news_detail.asp?nid=4030

Even the new PVR that Bell is advertising would be clearly illegal under bill C-61.

"I quickly laid out a selection of boxed products whose operation would be seriously restricted or even criminalized by Bill C-61: a Slingbox Solo, a Maxtor Shared Storage II network media server, a Pinnacle TV capture card and an Apple iPod Touch. I explained that transferring media to (or through) any of these popular devices would be prohibited by Bill C-61. And that introduction of future devices with even greater capability would be strongly impeded, potentially leading to major financial loss in what should otherwise be a burgeoning market…â€

Of course there is going to be a distinction between VHS and DVD.  I haven’t heard of a market for pirated VHS quality movies. 

No one is going to be checking your Ipod or MP3 no matter what the law may state. 

The current law does not address some of the specific issues detailed in Bill C-61. I’m not going to list them out. 

Bill C-61 is being proposed to bring Canadian Law into line with World Intellectual Property Organization treaties.

I’ve agreed that some of the Bill may be harsh but I stand by my opinion that it is a good move overall.  You tell me what the answers are if I am wrong in my opinion.  How do we protect the rights of the stakeholders in the music and entertainment industry when digital media is so easily copied and distributed?
In my opinion laws have to be clear and penalties have to be harsh.  Just stating that there are copyright laws will not deter pirating of material.  There are millions of dollars at stake for those involved. 
I agree to disagree with you.

some facts about the film industry and piracy

remember its these guy who dint want every house hold to have a VCR, untill they realized they could sell VHS movies.

Movie Industry in 2007 made $9.63 billion at theaters alone. in  2001’s $8.13 billion.US box office has also risen for the last two years, and international growth rates have been much higher and more constant.

I go to movies every other weekend I also watch Movies from the internet. I also own 2 PVRS  one that strips out the copyright bullshit so I can record the Movie Channels. I also Copy my DVD’s that I bought to play on my Ipod. That is my right as a Canadian consumer.

I pay for a Tax on the CD’s and DVD’s, a royalty Tax so that I can back up my collection.

Being a proud Canadain I’m happy with the above laws we have already, If things change, More then 1/3 the population will be criminals in Canada.

These two group(MPAA, RIAA) are based out of the United States and are attempting to project their influence throughout the world by pressuring the worlds most powerful nation, who in turn are pressuring their trading partners. In this case, the true north strong and free.

The lack of support for Bill C-61 by opposition parties may be one of the reasons why we are about to have an election.

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

Sheesh.  I know the election is coming soon.  I saw a really lame-ass Conservative advertisement yesterday, it featured a perky young woman listing the virtues of Harper.

You never seem to get tired of being wrong. They wont check personal mp3 players? they are already doing it in airports in the states AND confinscating the players with stiff warnings next time ya get a juicy fine, maybe you should be less idealistic and a little more educated.
 You have never heard of pirated vhs tapes? Did you sleep through the 80’s? If you bought vhs tapes in the 80’s odds are you have bought black market tapes at some point, same with record albums. Piracy is nothing new AND the music industry had a stranglehold on music distribution for several decades and fucked the consumer the entire time, how did you think they all became billionaires? They have lost the stranglehold on us all now and have to start charging a reasonable price for the product it markets or everyone will just steal it, serves them right its high time their ripping off the consumer ended, all good scams at some point come to an end.
   Dont give us the artists need protecting, the industry fucks them as hard as it does consumers, it would be better for us to buy directly from the artists as we can now do, neither of us need the middle man cocksucker ripoff major labels anymore and the labels know it, its why they are gunning so hard for this legislation. By supporting the bill you are in my eyes nothing short of a corporate baglicker which i doubt you intend to be, but being as uneducated and ignorant of the reality of what this bill will do yet supporting it that is what you are and they are counting on people like you.

Couple those ads with the junkmails that arrive every couple days like the “Dion’s Tax On Everything” and “Gun Criminal?” from Tory MPs that aren’t even your ridings, but are using free mailing at your expense?
BEFORE an election is called so none of it will count once it is, another example of the CPC’s complete lack of ethics.

[quote=“BoNeCrAcKeR”]
Of course there is going to be a distinction between VHS and DVD.  I haven’t heard of a market for pirated VHS quality movies.  [/quote]

We’re not talking about piracy, we’re talking about making a backup so your kids don’t screw it up.

Piracy is already handled just fine by current copyright legislation.

Then why bring in the law?  If the existing laws already handle new media and piracy just fine, why do we need a new one?

You’re not going to list them out, because the only difference between the new law and the existing one is that the new one makes personal copying (not piracy) a criminal offense.   

Great that you’re reading speaking points instead of actually reading the law and the WIPO treaty.  We’re already in full compliance of the treaty with our existing legislation.  If you don’t believe we are, can you list the part of the treaty that we are not compliant with?

But that’s neat that you bring up the point about respecting international treaties.  A former government signs a treaty, does that mean that the current government should respect it?

You still haven’t answered the basic question, which is how the current law doesn’t work.

With our current laws.

You know, of course, that a majority of Canadian stakeholders in the music and entertainment industry oppose this bill, and that the CRIA basically fell apart when 5 Canadian labels left it over this issue? 

The current copyright laws are clear and so are the penalties.  Do you even know what the current copyright law says?  have you read it?  How is it not clear?  I think it’s very clear, and as numerous actions have recently shown, it has strong teeth.

Which is fine, but you’ll have to understand why a lot of people (including Conservatives) are against C-61.  It’s a bad law that’s not needed or wanted, made to satisfy American lobbyists who paid a lot of money into Conservative Party coffers.

and

If by the "west " you mean Alberta, you might have a point, if your west includes BC then I might sugest Paul Martin. He had more than a pasing interest on the coast, something about them big ships he owned I guess.
  In my opinon the thing that saved ridley terminals, was the selling of BC rail. Once northern coal wasnt being diverted to Vancouver it made Ridley alot more viable.
  Oh yhea , and then there is this old chestnut.

ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s … hub=Canada

LOL…

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

Was she the one who wanted people to contact her instead of the elected MP?

‘go to person’ and fashion consultant.  :imp:

you should form a breakaway topic, Why I will not be running for the conservative party!!!

Hmmm suppose they threw an election and nobody wanted to run???

theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ … ional/home

wonder how many will read the tea leaves between now and the anticipated election call on Sunday?

So can somebody help me out here, have the Conservatives actually held a nominating meeting, with candidates for the riding or did they just decide that the Houston gal was their one and went with that.

I know the MP in PG had more or less designated her as his ears on the riding, so perhaps the idea of letting the locals have a say might have been inconvenient…

Anyways, willing to be corrected on this as I really don’t know how they selected their presumptive nominee.