Why I will be voting against the Conservative Party

If you buy a DVD and copy it onto your iPod, you’re a criminal with a criminal record?  Who is that protecting?

You record a TV show and you’re a criminal with a criminal record? Whose rights is that protecting?

You got it all wrong.  The government is correct to introduce legislation that will protect the interest of those affected by illegal downloading of copyrighted material.  You can hardly find CD’s on store shelves anymore because the industry has been so badly affected.  This will have no effect on you if you download your own copy of a DVD you purchased or record a TV show to watch later.  This is about stopping an illegal industry while protecting the rights and livliehoods of others.

[quote]According to provisions in Bill C-61, the proposed amendment to the Copyright Act of Canada, the government itself will not be checking iPods or laptops for illegal material.

…new legislation is intended to go after companies that profit from illegal file-sharing, “not the ordinary Canadian.”

“This is a piece of framework legislation that deals with the contractual and copyright rights between the people who create intellectual property and the people who use it,” Mr. Prentice said.

“Who’s going to enforce the $500 liability? That’s really up to the creators, up to the people who own the copyright… There’s no intent to have the government intervene as a policing agent to check people’s iPods in their houses.”[/quote]

You can hardly find CDs in stores, because people are buying online.  iTunes is one of the top sellers of music now, not CDs in stores.

You need to read the legislation if you’re going to defend it.

It makes it illegal to copy a DVD that you bought onto your iPod.  You’re committing a criminal act, and will be found guilty of a criminal offense and have a criminal record.

The copyright act as it stands already makes it illegal to distribute works you don’t have a license to, and it’s effective against piracy.  What part of it isn’t effective?

“Who’s going to enforce the $500 liability? That’s really up to the creators, up to the people who own the copyright”  So basically, you’re going to leave the policing up to the American corporations.  If they can prove you’ve copied a DVD that you purchased onto your computer or onto your iPod, you’ll be a criminal and have a criminal record.

If that’s not the intent of the law, then why is it there?

This is another example of a broken promise by the Conservatives.  They stated that they wanted a public consultation on copyright reform, and they didn’t have even 1 day of public consultation.  The only consulting they did was with the American recording industries, who financed the campaigns of a couple of their cabinet ministers.

Here’s some reaction to C-61:

“Copyright law would turn millions into criminals” Calgary Herald
canada.com/calgaryherald/new … 01144d&p=1

“Copyright law heavy-handed” Prince George Citizen
princegeorgecitizen.com/2008 … anded.html

“‘Win-win’ Copyright Act still has plenty of losers” Vancouver Sun
canada.com/vancouversun/news … f702c10c42

“New law will make it hard to live in the past” Regina Leader-Post
canada.com/reginaleaderpost/ … 9813e7&p=1

Now I get it that you want to defend the Conservatives, but if you’re going to pick one of the absolute worst pieces of legislation that they’ve introduced and try to defend it, then the Conservatives don’t look so good.

If the law won’t be used to enforce the acts it defines as crimes, then why are they defined as crimes?

What is it about this law that will stop piracy that the existing law doesn’t currently cover?

Michael Geist: “They’ve got a few headline-grabbing reforms but the reality is those are also undermined by this anti-circumvention legislation. They’ve essentially provided digital rights to the U.S. and entertainment lobby and a few analog rights to Canadians. The truth of the matter is the reforms are laden with all sorts of limitations and in some cases rendered inoperable.”

I have read the legislation and I defend it. People aren’t buying online, well some are, but we all know that the illegal downlaoding of music and video is extremely rampant in our society. You can copy your DVD to your Ipod unless you have to break a digital lock to do so. 
You mentioned the $500 liability and who is going to enforce.  You’re right, who is going to enforce it?  By doing this the government is showing diligence to the owners of the copyrighted material but really leaving a large loophole for the Canadian public to continue to fill their MP3’s and Ipods with whatever they want.  Who is going to check it?  We also have a gun law in Canada that several agencies have stated that they will not enforce.  With your logic there is no point in having the law then.

[quote]Highlights from proposed copyright bill
National Post 
Published: Thursday, June 12, 2008

What you can do

• Copy music from an unprotected CD to your iPod or computer.

• Record “timeshifted” TV shows on a personal video recorder, but the shows cannot be stored indefinitely or to create a library.

• Disabled individuals and encryption researchers can break digital locks if they need to do so in order to access copyright-protected content.

• Copy a book, newspaper or photograph legally acquired. But you could not give away copies.

What you cannot do

• Circumvent or break digital copyright locks on CDs or DVDs for private use.

• Provide, market or import the hacking tools used to break through digital locks.

• Make more than one recording of a TV program.

• Post copyrighted materials, such as a picture or video, onto a Web site such as Facebook or YouTube.

Duty of Internet Service Providers

Legislation exempts ISPs from liability for copyright violations by their subscribers.

Requires ISPs to forward a notice of infringement to the subscriber, a so-called “notice and notice” system already widely used voluntarily in Canada.

ISPs are required to keep a record of the notices in case a copyright holder decides to pursue legal action.

Copy music and give it to a friend.[/quote]

Music has always been copyrighted yet many of us made mixed tapes for our own use without any legal ramifications.  I see things being much the same as that if the Bill goes through.  I feel good about my position and thank you for offering your opinion.

You sure are easy to fire up in these political threads… :smiley:

[quote=“BoNeCrAcKeR”]You can copy your DVD to your Ipod if
you have to break a digital lock to do so.[/quote]

No, you can’t.  The law makes it a crime, punishable by a $20,000 to break a digital lock.  No intent is necessary in the legislation.  Copy a DVD you bought, and it’s a fine for breaking a digital lock.

What is it about the current law that doesn’t “show diligence to the owners of the copyrighted material”?  I know a whole bunch of websites, including Canadian ones, that have been shut down by the Canadian recording industry, under the current_law for piracy.  So honestly, what is it about this law that will do that better?

Nice.  So you equate this to the gun registry law.  Good stuff.

You’re in favour of the gun law, then?  I mean, it’s a good law, since nobody’s going to enforce it, right?  

Mix-tapes will get you a criminal record under Bill C-61.

I’m glad you’re aboard with the gun registry, though.  As long as it’s not enforced, it’s a good law.

You bet!

I’m also glad you’re finally aboard with a gun registry.  Glad to see you’ve come to your senses.  I mean, it’s not going to be enforced, so it’s a good law.

If I may chime in with a clarification regarding CDs and DVDs:

Everytime “copying media to a portable player” is mentioned, they always refer to a CD, right? Because you can’t do it with a DVD. As far as I know, ALL COMMERCIAL DVDS are encrypted (remember the whole DVD-Jon/decss affair?), therefore anything other than playing a DVD in a licensed DVD player or with licensed software would be in effect breaking or circumventing a digital lock in the eyes of this law.

So if I buy a movie on DVD, and want to play it on my computer that runs linux, I have to decrypt it, which is against the law.

If I have any of this wrong, I welcome corrections, but as I see it, the DMCA and it’s Canadian clone are absolute comedies of fair use.

I had a typo and corrected it regarding  copying DVD’s.  You will not get punished if you copy a CD or DVD that does not have digital locks.

I’m all for the gun registry like you’re in support of Bill C-61.  I still think it stinks.  It has not curbed crime in any way, shape or form.  That is a whole other thread topic however.

I don’t believe that mix tapes would get you a criminal record unless, of course, you illegally download the material or break a digital lock to get it.

The law is desinged to stop illegal pirating of copyrighted material.  Can we agree that pirating copyrighted material is wrong and should be considered criminal as any theft would be? If so, then this Bill will help to protect the interests of those affected.

I have something to ask of you.  Instead of being so negative towards our elected government I’d like you to acknowledge just one thing that you think they did right.  Enough with the negativity.  I want to hear something positive. C’mon, I know you have it in you.

Also Afghanistan is an illegal war …what are we doing there ? Oh ya … terrorists

i will not be voting for the  Conservative Party, I believe in Canada and its laws, I don’t think we need to Americanize anymore, we have lost so much already that makes us Canadians.

All DVDs have digital locks, ie: CSS (and region codes).  So copying a DVD to an iPod, or even just playing a DVD on your linux computer would make you a criminal.

Your argument is that the parts of C-61 that stink don’t matter, since they’re not going to be enforced.  Well, I assume that whatever it is you don’t like about the gun registry isn’t enforced, as you said.  So same thing, right?  You’re ok with C-61 because the bad bits aren’t going to be enforced (says you) therefore you’d have to be ok with the bad bits of the gun registry, since they’re not enforced.  

[quote]
I don’t believe that mix tapes would get you a criminal record unless, of course, you illegally download the material or break a digital lock to get it.[/quote]

You don’t believe it, but it’s still right there in the legislation.  You don’t have a right to remix works, sorry.  Sucks to be a DJ.

Yes, pirating is illegal.  It’s illegal now.  What is it about this law that will change that?  Pirates are shut down now, and often face criminal charges if it’s on a commercial scale.  There have been recent cases of this in Canada.  The law covers it right now.  

I can say a lot of nice things about this government.  But that doesn’t mean I have to ignore or go into denial about the bad things.

Good things (my opinion):  Ridley Island, Afghanistan, income trusts (I agreed with them breaking their promise).  And I could probably dig up some more.

But that doesn’t mean I can excuse C-61.  That’s a deal breaker for me.  

As an aside, I’ll be shutting down HTMF if C-61 is passed.  The extinguishing of fair dealing rights means that I’ll be personally liable with criminal prosecution if people do things like post lyrics to a song, post Astrothug’s photos, etc.  I don’t want a criminal conviction and a criminal record, so it will mean the end of HTMF.

I would encourage our Russian friends to host HTMF if bill C-61 passes, though.  Ironic that fair use and fair dealing are rights that exist in Russia, but if bill C-61 passes, won’t exist in Canada.

Hahaha! Sounds like conspiracy bullshit to me mig, i think you need to get your motor checked, and if we prove the american music industry didnt purchase the canadian government that would be more evidence for your conspiracy? Hehehe :smiley:

Luckily, candidates have to publish their donors.  Look up the first minister that wanted to introduce C-61, and ask yourself why she was taken off the file.

michaelgeist.ca/content/view/1313/125/

The big American music labels donated zero dollars to anybody else in Canada, except her.  Why?

what do you think they would do to this guy?

[attachments over a year old automatically deleted]

An illegal war?  Thats a load of BS.  Afghanistan is the right place to be.  Iraq no!  Afghanistan yes!!

You agreed with them breaking their promise this time?  Interesting.

Thanks for mentioning a few good things.  See, it’s not all bad.

I still like what Bill C-61 is set out to accompish.  Perhaps it needs some tweaking.  In an age such as ours protection for those who stand to have their copyrighted material copied and distributed  need the protection of our lawmakers. They have alot at stake.

My personal view on  Afghanistan and  Iraq, and this by no means is a poke at our men and woman over there right now. IS we should not be there, we were not attacked the Americans were, and we were dragged into this by the Americans, I’m glad Canada is not in Iraq, I’M glad Canada chose not to join the United States’ "Coalition of the willing"
Im Proud that we sent peace keepers to train the Iraq police and to help keep the peace in Afghanistan. But how long should our men and woman of the armed forces be there? Its time to bring them home.

I hope democracy will take root in these countries but the track record looks gloomy.