Why buy HTMF

Um who do you think owns the Podunk site?  That evil foreign corporation Google.

This is getting old people !  What is the big deal about the sale of the site?  We are obviously still able to speak openly, discuss, argue, laugh, essentially carry on as normal !  Get over it  :unamused:

What’s a Podunk?

You can’t win for losing on the subject of domain names.
Certain locals were outraged when they let the town .com expire and some outfit offered to sell it back for a whole $200.
I got an email to bid and figured what the hell… $100 is bugger-all and won it. Now I’ve got complaints as I also have the .org, .net .info .com and point them to my site, and I bloody live here and employ people… no one else put their money where their mouth is even when I grabbed some of those for $1.99

A “Podunk” defined:  a shit little town that still calls itself a “City” which has lost its Fishery, Pulp Mill, logging and pretty well everything that really matters and that now makes its living by showing off its ‘as-been sites’ to the tourists …and who wouldn’t think twice about selling its assets to a foreign bidder…in other word…a town that has lost its own soul.

Oh thank god. At first, I thought it meant something bad.

I share your concerns there mcsash about foreign takeovers - they’re usually not good news down at the union hall - but in this case I think a relocation is okay.

A few weeks ago there was a thread about the podunkian phone company - maybe you were out of town - and then it was gone; not preserved for posterity in The Wasteland, completely gone. I was disappointed.

Maybe one or two posts could have done with a bit more research or citation of sources, but it wasn’t a bad discussion, and the comments were even more courteous than is usual on HTMF. Besides it was about a municipal company.

Our courts generally cut commentators and critics some slack when matters of public interest are discussed, but US courts take an especially stern view of public officials alleging defamation. They fought a revolutionary war to protect free speech; we passed a law in 1982.

So I think the opponents of free discussion and information flow about public issues will have a bit of a tough time, besides having to hire a North Carolina attorney. I also get the impression that the new owner can be pretty strong on defence - if he gets a complaint he might post it for discussion.    

Can I recommend a nice, well aged Brie to go along with some of the whining??

+1 funny…good stuff, Saffron.  :smiley:

My question went unanswered.

It doesn’t. 

It does apply to Podunk’s site, however :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw9oX-kZ_9k 

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: