Where is this? #36

Yeah, I was trying to eliminate a bunch at once, but it is a bit chincy. Us menno’s are always looking for the easy way out!

If this was whence I lived, and I was a staunch proclaimer of regional loyalties from the 1600’s, wouldest I be a Patriots fan?

No.

Did the naval battle take place during the American Civil War? (I think we are running out of questions here but the naval angle seems better to me since there are fewer naval battles than movies made in American cities).

no. 7.

here’s a few degrees of separation hint (re: naval battle): This may give it away, but oh well. If you’re a famous doctor, you might have be pushed into the ocean instead of walking the plank.

Assuming that the naval battle involved the US navy, were they victorious?

The Americans would say yes for sure. 6 questions left.

I would say that this one particular battle (and the outcome of the war) as almost quid pro quo, but hey, you’re asking history questions 'cause you’ll know I’ll go on and on…

I think the naval connection is a tougher one, but anyway… Remember, the connection is that a famous sailor was born in this town.

You keep talking about degrees of separation. Was Kevin Bacon in this battle?

Hah!

Movie 1:

Female lead has Bacon number of 1 (was in movie with Kevin Bacon) (nominated for 3 oscars, won 1 for Best Actress in Leading Role, not in this movie, though)

Male lead has Bacon number of 2 (was in movie with someone who was in movie with Kevin Bacon) (never nominated for oscar)

Female supporting actor has Bacon number of 1 (nominated twice for oscar, not in this movie, though)

Movie 2:

Female lead has Bacon number of 2 (never nominated for Oscar)

Male lead has Bacon number of 1 (nominated for 3 oscars, won 1, not for this movie)

Female supporting actor has Bacon number of 1 (nominated for 6 oscars, won 1, not for this movie)

Male supporting actor has Bacon number of 2 (nominated for 4 oscars, won 1, not for this movie).

So just to confuse things (and because I can’t seem to just answer yes/no questions like I’m supposed to…): this place was suggested by someone else, who happened to be watching one of the movies filmed here. She then looked up the place and found a bunch of connections.

So… filming location for two movies (recent movies, both from last 5-6 years or so). One of those movies was on TV recently. Heh, which led to this place being posted.

Birthplace of a famous sailor. Connection to the writing of a famous song. Famous politician died here. Connection to a famous European city as well.

Is it Berlin, Maryland?

Yes! Woohoo!

I think you got it mennoknight. Good job.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Berlin-Maryland.html

[quote=“MiG”]

Yes! Woohoo![/quote]

Rad. I basically looked for women with 3 oscars nominations (Pfeiffer, Joan Allen, Julia Roberts) who were in movies with Kevin Bacon, and the only one I could find was Flatliners. Then I remembered my girlfriend watched Runaway Bride the other night while I rolled my eyes, and bingo bango.

oh, and I’ll post a new one after work (or maybe later today if work stays slow).

The sailor is, I presume, Stephen Decatur. I came across his name earlier on but dismissed him ( I don’t remember why). But even if I didn’t dismiss him, Wikipedia doesn’t mention Berlin as his birth place but Sinepuxent, Maryland which it says was a town destroyed and never rebuilt. So it would have been impossible to find the link to the town.

Here is a quote from him that kind says a lot about foreign relations from the US:

“Our country! In her intercourse with foreign nations may she always be in the right; but our country, right or wrong.”

Replace intercourse with a synonymous expletive, and you would think it came from Bush and its Hawks.

And the other movie would be Tuck Everlasting.

Well, if you google google.com/search?q=Stephen+Decatur+berlin

You’ll find lots of places that state that Berlin is his hometown.

That’s why I tried to discourage the naval connection, BTW.

The movies are Runaway Bride and Tuck Everlasting.

Stephen Decatur commanded the Enterprise, BTW, which was the connection to the doctor being thrown overboard instead of walking the plank. Decatur’s Enterprise made an appearance on Star Trek: Generations.

Lots of other stuff too, like place of Spiro Agnew’s death, and the birthplace of somebody who wrote some civil rights song (we shall overcome? I dunno, I’m at work right now, busy!)

[quote=“MiG”]Well, if you google google.com/search?q=Stephen+Decatur+berlin

You’ll find lots of places that state that Berlin is his hometown.

That’s why I tried to discourage the naval connection, BTW.

…[/quote]

That’s exactly what I realized as soon as I found his name. The naval connection was a tough one. The movie too until you gave the female leads hints. Mennoknight was quite clever in his pursuit of this because I lost faith in my abilities when I saw that over 1800 actors had a Kevin Bacon number of 1. I didn’t feel like clicking on all of them and didn’t think about the problem like menno did.