Where are you posting from?

Yeah, sounds about right.

I thought it was an interesting irony that the climate that causes SAD was what drew this one South African family there. I remember that the father and the children had some kind of rare skin condition that caused severe sunburns even in mild sunlight, and that the constant cloudiness of Rupert was perfect for them because it allowed them to go outside.

Life is funny, n’est pas?

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]

Yeah, sounds about right.

I thought it was an interesting irony that the climate that causes SAD was what drew this one South African family there. I remember that the father and the children had some kind of rare skin condition that caused severe sunburns even in mild sunlight, and that the constant cloudiness of Rupert was perfect for them because it allowed them to go outside.

Life is funny, n’est pas?[/quote]

Yep, and they still live here. They just finally won their case to legally stay in Rupert last year, after 3 years of fighting I believe. It’s pretty sad that a family with a legitimate medical disorder, has to go through red tape like crazy to stay in the country, yet immigrants can jump off a ship and no one gives a rats ass if they stay or not.

Also, it’s been argued that someone living in Prince Rupert all their lives cannot be affected by SAD. People can only develop SAD if they had previously been in other climates, with much more sunshine, but the brain of a Rupert-lifer wouldn’t know any other way to function, hence not being affected by SAD.

Wow… I remembered something from Psychology.

Yeah, I’m going to have to disagree with that. Biologically speaking I don’t think it works that way.

Kind of ironic that ever since the Vivier family has been living here, we’ve had a couple incredible summers. Lack of direct sunlight? Sorry about that.

We shouldn’t be too hard on immigration since the Viviers did lie to get in (which is odd, when the truth is so compelling). And people don’t just jump off boats and get to stay; that’s a myth created and perpetrated by rednecks like Steven Harper.

I’ve been in kelowna for around 3 years now and im starting to feel this exact thing :frowning: I miss the ocean, privacy, fires and well wtf is an outdoorsy guy like me doing in a city :frowning:

Any work up there for a network engineer? :wink: Actually I think im going to be moving to vancouver island.

Well Rupert is starting to grow, and theres gunna be a contruction of a new shopping centre place here, as well as the container port. Get up here and bid on the contracts. There is always lots of work here mind you, you actually have to look for work. I know lots of people that can’t find a job (IE. Sleep untill noon, and stop by 1 or 2 places and give up), and I also know people that came back to rupert, or came up for the summer… what ever, and found a job within a week. So I guess theres always work here, if you want to work. I currently have 2 jobs, 1 part time, and 1 full time, and I know 2 or 3 other peopel with the same thing.

Well thats the thing is i could get construction work there in a second, I am curious as to how/where to get the info to bid on contracts for the port.

I am no longer looking for jobs outside of my field… im just looking for something to challenge myself with and hopefully find a company that will pay me more than 13/hr… Im not opposed to working for myself either :wink:

[quote=“Dave”]

+5 years for me

• 7 years to the sum of Eso and Smartass for me.[/quote]

Add two to the sum of Eso, Smartass and Dave for my time in Rupert.

Mike

Aren’t they the people from South Africa who were sensitive to the sun?

If so, Dominic is psychotic, he lost his temper and pushed me against the wall. Cuts himself too, what an emo.

[quote=“smartass”]Also, it’s been argued that someone living in Prince Rupert all their lives cannot be affected by SAD. People can only develop SAD if they had previously been in other climates, with much more sunshine, but the brain of a Rupert-lifer wouldn’t know any other way to function, hence not being affected by SAD.

Wow… I remembered something from Psychology.[/quote]

The flipside of that coin is that if you’ve been raised in Rupert and then move to a place that has brutally hot and humid summers, it becomes almost unbearable. I plan to spend as much time in Hokkaido as I can this summer. At least it’s cool enough for me to function there! Plus it’s great for motorcycle riding and camping.

im calling bs on SAD only affecting people who have moved here, i dont think our brain chemistry can change that quickly that we’d become habituated in just one generation…

http://www.fraserhealth.ca/HealthInfo/MentalHealth/SAD.htm

ok you guys speak of your ‘time’ in Rupert like it’s a sentence or something.
18 years in Fort St James & counting. Now that’s ‘hard time’ :laughing:
auuuuggghhh call the parole board! pulleeez

Also born and raised here. 14 years longer than Eso.

Now I’m posting from the Moncton High School library, and this computer sucks. The school is WAY behind CHSS in the technology department (Only thing it has going is a Smartboard, which is kind of jerky), and frankly, this building needs some modernization happening.

Way too freaken’ cold.

Is that Ferron?

I don’t think so.

you must be then… cause you’re the other peson that lives in New Brunswick

Dah, dah, dah!

yeah it took a while for that to click in.

Yeah, I’m going to have to disagree with that. Biologically speaking I don’t think it works that way.