Whats the best Anti-Virus Software

I am about to buy any anti-virus software for my laptop…

I would like to find out about nearly all the virus scanners and not just the free ones.

http://free-av.com

I’m a little leery of new antivirus products, but AVG seems to be pretty good. It’s been getting good reviews for ease of use and reliability. I’ve been trying it for a few weeks now and it seems alright.

Otherwise, I’m still a Norton slave. If you do a search for reviews on antivirus, make sure that you look at the date of the review, because the quality of product seems to change all the time from ALL manufactures.

AVG has been around for 7 years. Not only that, but it provides you with the same service at PC Cillin and Norton, but for free. Norton is a memory hog on top of costing you a fortune, and it isnt really that great. If you’re going to pay for an anti virus, i’d definatly go with PC Cillin, if you’re rich… It’ll run you up for about $40/year, on one machine.

AVG works great for me too… I’m on my 2nd year of using it, and have had no problems keeping it updated, unlike some others I’ve used.

I use this also…

Housecall is good.
housecall.trendmicro.com/
It’s what we use at UVic to fix virus’d computers on the T1 line.

[quote=“jleaman”]

I use this also…[/quote]

except the bart plugin is a bitch. still trying after all these weeks…

thanks for all your replies

I have now found a good website which runs its own magazine about all tech and software and computers in general, found good reviews there but it took me a while… the site is http://www.computeractive.co.uk

Its quite good…

thanks everyone and I am still looking for a new anti-vir software, i am currently using Norton as i have for the past 2 years… i just like the ‘LiveUpdate’ feature…

New versions of norton are mostly just a marketing scheme. A friend of mine used Norton 2000 and gets the same results as I would on '03 (which gets the same on '06). Only difference is the interface is newer with some new features.

thats why i dont like it at the moment

Norton is the first thing to go when we get new laptops. Unless they’re HPs. Then we just toss out the recovery disk and format the whole damn thing and install XP from a real XP disk. After Norton and all the HP crap is gone, the new 3.0 Gig machines were actually faster then the old 1.0 Gig machines…
Then we disable system restore, hide the Outlook Express icon, install AVG - AdAware-Firefox-Tbird and set Firefox as the default browser.
That leaves everyone time to fix customer’s computers instead of spending 30% of the workday mucking with their own system.
BTW thx for talking me into a Toshiba, people. The damn Atheros wireless in it can surf on our transmitter 8 miles across the lake and doesn’t even have an external antenna! The HPs can’t even see it at the office 900m away!

Toshibas have gotta be the best laptops on the market for a standard PC Platform. I’ve always found with the few that i bought, they’re not all full of crap. Though the biggest problem i’ve had with them is it’s hard to find drivers for some things… I.E. never loose your installation disk for them.

I disagree completly, toshiba’s warranty system is crap and the laptop i bought last year has caused me enough problems that its sitting on a shelf right now until i feel like looking at it. I will NEVER buy a toshiba again. When i buy my next laptop it will be an IBM or panasonic toughbook.

I sent my laptop in under warranty to get the fan replaced! and 2 months later i find out my motherboard is broken… and they want me to pay 600 bucks… well 2 months later i finally get my laptop back and the fan wasnt replaced :unamused: they tried to charge me 600 bucks for a new motherboard even though the people at the store saw the laptop was working before we shipped it off…

[quote=“jesus”]

I disagree completly, toshiba’s warranty system is crap and the laptop i bought last year has caused me enough problems that its sitting on a shelf right now until i feel like looking at it. I will NEVER buy a toshiba again. When i buy my next laptop it will be an IBM or panasonic toughbook.

I sent my laptop in under warranty to get the fan replaced! and 2 months later i find out my motherboard is broken… and they want me to pay 600 bucks… well 2 months later i finally get my laptop back and the fan wasnt replaced :unamused: they tried to charge me 600 bucks for a new motherboard even though the people at the store saw the laptop was working before we shipped it off…[/quote]

Thats cause toshiba hates you… Thats strange, I actually havent had a toshiba for about 5 years now, their quality must have went for shits.

[quote=“Delirious”]

I sent my laptop in under warranty to get the fan replaced! and 2 months later i find out my motherboard is broken… and they want me to pay 600 bucks… well 2 months later i finally get my laptop back and the fan wasnt replaced :unamused: they tried to charge me 600 bucks for a new motherboard even though the people at the store saw the laptop was working before we shipped it off…

Thats cause toshiba hates you… Thats strange, I actually havent had a toshiba for about 5 years now, their quality must have went for shits.[/quote]

Let me tell you it was a hassel… they wouldnt just send it back to me either… I got pissed off after the second month and said just send me the god damn thing back and ill deal with you guys later not having my laptop is costing me development time… they said sorry sir we cannot send it back to you in broken condition…

2 months later after talking to everyone i could possibly get hold of my laptop magically appeard at my door repaired.

I will not be buying toshiba anything ever again in my lifetime.

[quote=“jesus”]

Thats cause toshiba hates you… Thats strange, I actually havent had a toshiba for about 5 years now, their quality must have went for shits.

Let me tell you it was a hassel… they wouldnt just send it back to me either… I got pissed off after the second month and said just send me the god damn thing back and ill deal with you guys later not having my laptop is costing me development time… they said sorry sir we cannot send it back to you in broken condition…

2 months later after talking to everyone i could possibly get hold of my laptop magically appeard at my door repaired.

I will not be buying toshiba anything ever again in my lifetime.[/quote]

Thats sound more of the stores fault then toshiba…

[quote=“jesus”]

I sent my laptop in under warranty to get the fan replaced! and 2 months later i find out my motherboard is broken… and they want me to pay 600 bucks… well 2 months later i finally get my laptop back and the fan wasnt replaced :unamused: they tried to charge me 600 bucks for a new motherboard even though the people at the store saw the laptop was working before we shipped it off…[/quote]

You bought the cheap and crap toshiba. Your also hard on your stuff your abusive to the stuff. :smiley:

Also toshiba has all ther drivers on there webpage if in any event you loose your disk.

Plus they have extreamly good support and warantee.

[quote=“jleaman”]

You bought the cheap and crap toshiba. Your also hard on your stuff your abusive to the stuff. :smiley:

Also toshiba has all ther drivers on there webpage if in any event you loose your disk.

Plus they have extreamly good support and warantee.[/quote]

Yes jason everything i buy is crap and yours is better :unamused: I am not abusive to my stuff and the motherboard was fine when i shipped it off the toshiba service place broke it… or shipping did either way the computer didnt boot when they had it and it did when i left it with them.

The store was actually somewhat helpful and alled the service depo and told them it was booting when they shipped it, the service depo then said the laptop booted but the network didnt work… 4 god damn months to get the laptop back from the service center is rediculous.

I’ve had personal experiences with alot of stores that you return stuff to. Radio shack for instance had “sent away” a computer to be repaired, only to go back to them a month later after not hearing anything. Ask the customer service person (different one this time), " is my computer back yet?"…

“Hold on I’ll check… Is this your computer?”

"YES!"

"OH!.. sorry sir, your computer seams to have not been sent away yet."
Then they come up with the same BS stories to keep the customer feeling satisfied. Chances are it was just the store, and they forgot to send it away. When you returned enquiring it, they probably fed you the same bs story that they are waiting for this and that, and blah blah blah…