What's Faster A dual cpu G5 or a dual Core G5

So i wonder what is faster the new Dual core apple G5 Or a dual cpu 2 x 2.0 gig… HUmm any one know ?

Look at the benchmarks:

arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware … eduo.ars/5

Looks like the intel iMac is faster than the iMac G5, but slower than the dual-processor Powermac G5.

I love the iMac, though, takes up so little room. Not like my big monster of a powermac.

That’s just wanted to know :smile: I can buy a Dual prossessor Apple G5 2.ogig or i can buy the new dual core apple G5 2gig… SO in therory what is faster ?

So tell me, the new Intel chip used in the Macs, how does it rate vs. an AMD64 X2?
I’ve had my X2 4200+ for four days, and no time to build my new machine!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]So tell me, the new Intel chip used in the Macs, how does it rate vs. an AMD64 X2?
I’ve had my X2 4200+ for four days, and no time to build my new machine![/quote]

The AMD X2 is light years ahead of that Intel Core Duo crap. Intel only has the notebook thing going for them, which AMD is really slacking on

Which is why Apple went with Intel.

More than 50% of new computers sold today are notebooks. AMD’s mobile chips suck.

Even the non-notebook Mac models (iMac, Mini) require small processors that don’t produce a lot of heat or use a lot of electricity.

The only computers you can seem to build with AMDs are really big ones, 'cause you need big ass heat sinks and fans.

I dunno. I used to have a desk covered with peripherals, now the notebook is just the gizmo I pack around to trobleshoot and access the bigawan in the corner of the office if I need to to something requiring speed & power. I find my laptops DVD burner the most useless component, i burnt a DVD instead of a CD maybe once.
And I like the old lady’s huge HP with the 17" screen and number pad. Couple extra pounds means as little as the extra battery life on a Centrino to me.
The iMac interests me more than a Mac laptop.
I’m building the X2 cuz by 2 pm my Ath64 3200 is slow, it’s running at least 10 programs constantly, and has run and closed at least 50 documents and programs. Just showed the newest employee how to use the ‘show desktop’ icon so customers don’t wait while they minimize 15 windows to find stuff.

[quote=“MiG”]

Which is why Apple went with Intel.

More than 50% of new computers sold today are notebooks. AMD’s mobile chips suck.

Even the non-notebook Mac models (iMac, Mini) require small processors that don’t produce a lot of heat or use a lot of electricity.

The only computers you can seem to build with AMDs are really big ones, 'cause you need big ass heat sinks and fans.[/quote]

Just wait till the AMD Turion Duo comes out :drool:

AMD > Intel

I can easily see apple switching to AMD in the next 5 years

You know what’s funny? I don’t know why but reading this thread made me want to go back in time:

http://news.com.com/Dell+Apple+should+close+shop/2100-1001_3-203937.html

This article, and many others throughout the years, has Apple doomed. As an Apple customer since 1990, ( 4 different Macs, 3 still running) I have heard this over and over again. So what happened? Weren’t Macs, dead technology? Wasn’t it too difficult to get software? Should I throw my iBook G4 out the window because it won’t be able to run Windows XYWP 23.4?

I watched the movie The Island, yesterday. There’s a scene when the character played by MacGregor says he’s going down to see the expert guy (Buscemi) because his computer isn’t working. You can clearly see the Apple logo on the back of the computer. I was wondering why Apple would allow that. Then later they show that it’s just an excuse to go to a restricted place.

[quote=“BigThumb”]You know what’s funny? I don’t know why but reading this thread made me want to go back in time:

This article, and many others throughout the years, has Apple doomed. As an Apple customer since 1990, ( 4 different Macs, 3 still running) I have heard this over and over again. So what happened? Weren’t Macs, dead technology? Wasn’t it too difficult to get software? Should I throw my iBook G4 out the window because it won’t be able to run Windows XYWP 23.4?[/quote]

Well you have to remember, BSD is dead too, linux isnt ready for the desktop, windows is more secure than linux, Mac/Linux are immune to viruses, and lets not forget Lunix rulezzzzzz. The tech industry is full of morons who make retarded claims :smiley:

Mac’s are a great hardware platform and OSX sure is pretty, it’s not my cup of tea but to each their own.

[quote=“jesus”]
Mac’s are a great hardware platform and OSX sure is pretty, it’s not my cup of tea but to each their own.[/quote]

Exactly. And Macs are great for me because my knowledge and tinkering ability compared to most of you guys here is limited. I just want a machine with minimal tech needs because I want it to be reliable. This year, through work, I have the use of an hp laptop. Pretty nice machine but not as reliable as my iBook (or the first generation eMac I’m using at the moment for all that matters). Besides the two button trackpad, I wouldn’t take it on trade for my personal iBook.

[quote=“BigThumb”]

Exactly. And Macs are great for me because my knowledge and tinkering ability compared to most of you guys here is limited. I just want a machine with minimal tech needs because I want it to be reliable. This year, through work, I have the use of an hp laptop. Pretty nice machine but not as reliable as my iBook (or the first generation eMac I’m using at the moment for all that matters). Besides the two button trackpad, I wouldn’t take it on trade for my personal iBook.[/quote]

I’ve considered buying a mac just for the hardware and slapping linux on it but I dont know just yet. Essentially I want great battery life 15" screen is fine and decent hard drive space. OSX isnt great for me because I am used to my linux toolkit and I feel like a foreigner using osx :laughing:

[quote=“BigThumb”]You know what’s funny? I don’t know why but reading this thread made me want to go back in time:

This article, and many others throughout the years, has Apple doomed. As an Apple customer since 1990, ( 4 different Macs, 3 still running) I have heard this over and over again. So what happened? Weren’t Macs, dead technology? Wasn’t it too difficult to get software? Should I throw my iBook G4 out the window because it won’t be able to run Windows XYWP 23.4?

I watched the movie The Island, yesterday. There’s a scene when the character played by MacGregor says he’s going down to see the expert guy (Buscemi) because his computer isn’t working. You can clearly see the Apple logo on the back of the computer. I was wondering why Apple would allow that. Then later they show that it’s just an excuse to go to a restricted place.[/quote]

Hey, since you mentioned Dell saying that Apple is doomed, you’ll like to read this:

nytimes.com/2006/01/16/techn … apple.html

Apple’s market cap has now surpassed Dell’s.

Also, Steve Jobs has just sold Pixar to Disney. It’s expected he’ll sit on the Disney board: tinyurl.com/cm7bn

Why?

It’s the best of both worlds. It has X, it has all the Linux stuff + BSD stuff. You don’t have to use OSX stuff at all if you don’t want to. Bash and X and xterms and all that if you want.

[quote=“MiG”]

Why?

It’s the best of both worlds. It has X, it has all the Linux stuff + BSD stuff. You don’t have to use OSX stuff at all if you don’t want to. Bash and X and xterms and all that if you want.[/quote]

Well to be honest I am not used to the environment, used it a few times on other peoples PC’s and just didnt get used to it.

I am sure with the proper customizations I could get it to feel like home. Honestly though why spend the time when I could just install linux and be right at home?

In addition to that as far as I know it lacks apt which I use alot (there may be something similar I dont know :wink:).

Basically using OSX would probably work for me but it’s like the linux users who the first thing they do is make it look and behave exactly like windows and then proceed to only use it for browsing. Why waste the time?

The point is that it is a unix environment. It’s like trashing ubuntu because you like KDE better than GNOME, and “aren’t used to the environment.”

[quote]
In addition to that as far as I know it lacks apt which I use alot (there may be something similar I dont know :wink:). [/quote]

Well, that’s just ignorance. Of course it has apt.

The fink project is just one place you should check out:

If you’re into BSD, check the “BSD ports” project.

Well, I have a linux laptop, and linux servers. The reason I use Mac OS X is exactly so that I DON’T “waste the time.”

I am not thrashing osx I just prefer Linux. To be more specific I am not familiar with the graphical environment.

I have 2 scripts I run on my ubuntu/debian installations they install all my handy sysadmin tools. one for gui applications and one for command line applications.

I also have the perfect system setup if I need another linux machine up and running quickly I have drbl (drbl.sf.net) setup. I just plug a computer into my network set it to pxe boot restart, and I have a new linux workstation up and running in about 2 minutes.

I could go on all day about why I use and love linux and I am sure you could tell me the osx alternatives (dont get me wrong itd be good to know) but whats the point in measuring our e-penis’s? e-penii? :laughing:

Im just a tard for that one because I remember reading about fink :wink:

getting familiar with BSD is on my todo list, along with alot of other things. Right now it’s not a priority though.

[quote]

Well, I have a linux laptop, and linux servers. The reason I use Mac OS X is exactly so that I DON’T “waste the time.”[/quote]

Well yea and thats why I run linux whats your point? I realize osx is a great system for you but really I don’t see the point when linux fits my needs perfectly. Like I said to each their own.

One thing I do enjoy that the operating systems share is konquerer (aka safari) It just rocks mozilla’s socks.

[quote=“jesus”]To be more specific I am not familiar with the graphical environment.
[/quote]

And, like I said, you can use any graphical environment (or just use a bash shell if you’d rather).

That’s why I don’t get why you think Linux is superior. Or do you consider X, KDE, GNOME and bash as somehow “Linux” ?

It makes no sense to buy a Mac, that has unix already installed, and then install Linux on it.

And, like I said, you can use any graphical environment (or just use a bash shell if you’d rather).

That’s why I don’t get why you think Linux is superior. Or do you consider X, KDE, GNOME and bash as somehow “Linux” ?

It makes no sense to buy a Mac, that has unix already installed, and then install Linux on it.[/quote]

Well yea, I could run X on it and bash etc, but why? I wouldnt ever use the features of OSX so why have it installed?

I dont think linux is superior to osx I am not familiar with osx and dont see why I would need it installed (because I can isnt a good enough reason :wink:) but feel free to enlighten me.

I do not consider X kde/gnome linux. Linux is the kernel though so as to not be anal and have to explain it all the time I simply refer to the entire installation as linux.

To be honest if I bought a mac I might bug you for some nifty apps etc to play with before I wiped and installed linux.

Like I said I havn’t really used OSX so there may be some feature that makes me want to keep it installed but as it sits right now I wouldnt use it because I dont need it.

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

How about automatic clustering of CPUs on your LAN, without you having to do anything? How about a plug-and-play grid? Objective C? Video? Audio? Colorsync? Why do you think video and photo professionals use Macs?

Or iTunes? iMovie? Airtunes alone is worth OSX.

How about Aperture? Shake? Logic Pro?

Really, I understand the “I don’t need it so I won’t use it” mentality, but all this stuff is already built in and ready to go.

Yes, you can erase it all and install Linux, which is missing all this stuff.

So from my point of view, you can have:

1. OS X, which is BSD. You can have all your linux stuff on this, plus all the OSX-only stuff as well.

or

1. You can format it and put linux on it. And have your linux stuff, but be missing all the OSX-only stuff.