What's Faster A dual cpu G5 or a dual Core G5

[quote=“MiG”]

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

How about automatic clustering of CPUs on your LAN, without you having to do anything?

Or iTunes? iMovie?

Really, I understand the “I don’t need it so I won’t use it” mentality, but all this stuff is already built in and ready to go.[/quote]

Hate Itunes, never used imovie and well i’d only have one mac so I sure would have to do something 8) I see your point but like I said never used it and unless i find something I cant live without I wont.

I know alot of people say the pretty interface is enough but it isnt for me. I stare at console screens all day pretty doesnt matter much.

I do like the dock, I dont know it’s something I would have to try if I liked it I’d keep it.

Holy crap this thread is as hard for me to read as all the political mumbo-jumbo!

macs are the best digital editor on the planet, hesus

if you dont like macs that dont matter either

enough said

hey hesus
windows has the the same pxe boot network install
if you anything about windows xp pro you’d know that
eh
dumb ass

:smiling_imp: remote unattended install

Meh, all computers pretty much do the same thing nowadays, and shit, they even run on the same hardware now. All of them have various things going for them, there really is no “best”. Just kinda what you wanna do…

sigh I might work on cars now, but I gotta help the penguin while he’s down…

Clusters are overrated for most anythign but specialzied applications. Too much overhead for your day to day shit. Nerds like clusters, and nerds don’t need a wizard to set them up.

Obj C? Got it… arent’ they using EGCS anyway?

Video/audio, cinerela2000 or whatever it’s called, and ardour, another overkill app. Creative professionals are nuts, drive miatas and use bath oils. And Macs.

Colorsync? Alright, it’s got that much… I’ve got brightness controls on my monitor though.

Classic WinAmp still owns. How many people actually edit movies anyway? The creative professional category really only makes up a small portion of computer users.

Four discs of binaries for Fedora core… there is a TON of software availble if you wanna install it.

It’s not posh enough for do create fine artwork on, but for some reason people like it. For years I’ve managed to do everythign I wanna do, and a lot more that I cant’ with other operating systems.

[quote=“MiG”]

1. OS X, which is BSD. You can have all your linux stuff on this, plus all the OSX-only stuff as well.

or

1. You can format it and put linux on it. And have your linux stuff, but be missing all the OSX-only stuff.[/quote]

And loose Auqa? But I like the colors! Really though, the thing I hate about my sister’s G4, is the lack of control. Too much auto crap, too many wizards. And they don’t even webcam support in MSN! Good thing someone ported a Linux app over to save the day… or a video player that works!

Shit, if we had to leave playing video files up to QuickTime, I don’t think I’d be watchign so mayn pirated videos! Thanksfully the fine folks at MPlayer have an OS X port, even if it is slightly lagging behidn the Linux one. Come to think of it, lots of OSS stuff I’ve found for OS X was originally a Linux only deal…

No arguments from me, Rangerwreck. The point was that if you buy a Mac, it doesn’t make sense to erase OS X and install Linux. If you’re going to do that, why buy the Mac?

I have a linux laptop that I use every day. It works great. But there’s no way I’m formatting my iBook or Powerbook to install Linux.

[quote=“hunchiga”]hey hesus
windows has the the same pxe boot network install
if you anything about windows xp pro you’d know that
eh
dumb ass[/quote]

I know about remote unattended install which is nifty and all, but cloning is faster once you create your images.

Maybe you should actually read what I am talking about before calling me a dumbass. I can BOOT linux as in not install it reboot a windows box , set the bios to pxe and in a couple minutes I have a linux desktop/server up and running.

You might ask why this is useful? well if you need a development environment you simply reboot a couple boxes and there you go its up and running.

If I need to test something before doing live changes on critical machines (in the field) I can simply reboot a couple desktops, boot them into linux (drbl is installed on my laptop) and there you go I can do my tests. After I am done with the linux boxes I can reboot switch off pxe boot and their desktop is up and running again.

But again I must be a dumbass and not know anything right?

The cloning feature of drbl is just an added bonus:

clonezilla.sourceforge.net/

[quote=“MiG”]No arguments from me, Rangerwreck. The point was that if you buy a Mac, it doesn’t make sense to erase OS X and install Linux. If you’re going to do that, why buy the Mac?
[/quote]

Yeah, buy a PC and use the welfare hardware

[quote=“MiG”]No arguments from me, Rangerwreck. The point was that if you buy a Mac, it doesn’t make sense to erase OS X and install Linux. If you’re going to do that, why buy the Mac?

I have a linux laptop that I use every day. It works great. But there’s no way I’m formatting my iBook or Powerbook to install Linux.[/quote]

Mac’s arent just known for their OS are they? they are known for quality hardware arent they? Maybe I just want some quality sleek hardware without having to change operating systems?

That and I’d rather not pay microsoft anymore money for licenses I wont use. At least with an OSX license I may dual boot occasionally to play around/test things, who knows If its one of the new intel mac’s I may triple boot it with windows OSX and linux.

Wait? There was a point to all this?

Nah, buy the PC hardware. It’ll still be cheaper, and Linux is by far best supported on x86 hardware. My server is a G3, but for desktop stuff, get a PC. You get all the nice accelerated hardware drivers, and although not common, some programs do .dll emulation, so it needs the x86 hardware. VMware is still there too.

Not as far as I know? Just the average day for me people bashing things I have to say and me defending them :wink:

quote= rangerwreck

Shit, if we had to leave playing video files up to QuickTime, I don’t think I’d be watchign so mayn pirated videos! Thanksfully the fine folks at MPlayer have an OS X port, even if it is slightly lagging behidn the Linux one. Come to think of it, lots of OSS stuff I’ve found for OS X was originally a Linux only deal…

I hate this to… No msn client with web cam support :frowning:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2004/20040312h.jpg

I too can install an image in minutes with xp pro over a network
test it
add programs to it
change it
its all the same to me

[quote=“hunchiga”]I too can install an image in minutes with xp pro over a network
test it
add programs to it
change it
its all the same to me[/quote]

I think you misread that :wink:

Without setting up a bunch of distribution shares good luck getting that kind of performance with unattended install. The wonderful thing about clonezilla is if you have to rollout 500 computers with the same image you can just rip the image off your test machine and you have a perfect working image. It will also clone images of any operating system which is something I need.

Just to clarify I’d be buying a new laptop meaning it’d still be x86 whether it was mac or not.

Anyway, im about 6 months away from a new laptop so ill decide between now and then.