What Kind of Workers Are Needed?

On the topic of the economy, training and Prince Rupert, does anyone have resources (linkable) or reliable information about the kind of workers Maher, Prince Rupert Grain and Ridley Coal need?

This economy is getting a fair bit too rough for my taste, and I am looking into re-training with the ideology of getting training in “what is needed” and “whatever pays a good wage.”

Become an ‘electronics technologist’ or a ‘computer programmer’, or ‘systems analyst’.
Or get your MBA, marry a millionaire’s daughter, and become a CEO.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]On the topic of the economy, training and Prince Rupert, does anyone have resources (linkable) or reliable information about the kind of workers Maher, Prince Rupert Grain and Ridley Coal need?

This economy is getting a fair bit too rough for my taste, and I am looking into re-training with the ideology of getting training in “what is needed” and “whatever pays a good wage.”[/quote]

Well first off to work at the port you need a union number from the longshore union and they dont just give them out.

Second , the grain terminal only accepts resumes if they have a job posted and the posted jobs will state the types of credentials and expirience you need .

Third is the coal terminal , they post their jobs as well. For the types of workers you can guess, milwrights, welders,mechanics,sheet metal workers, sweepers (grain clean up and coal ), equipment operators,secretarial etc. Just think about it, what do they do there? They empty train cars and load them into silo’s and coal piles, then load it onto ships with conveyors.

You know what you and all other towns need for work? More old fashioned gyppo mills! Yeah, so young people will clue in that union jobs are fucking GOLDEN and you don’t EXPECT one.
Honest to God, as an employer and ex-union rep I have never seen any union guy as USELESS as the current crop of under 40s. I can almost sympathize with that crook in the news who mistreated his brushing crew in Golden. Hell, he should’ve come right out during his NW interview and said "If I gave 'em a truck and a map and the job, they’d have drove around for two weeks, come back and said they couldn’t find the cut block, and tried to put in for overtime looking for it. That’s why I drove 'em into the site and dumped them!"
And we can’t claim it all for ourselves, cuz the last 2 guys I hired came from Alberta, one is the densest person I ever met in my life. 22 years old and can’t read handwriting or even use a telephone book!

The cannarys are hireing to get a good job in prince rupert you just go to man power.

You must just talk to hear yourself talk, Joy Thorkelson the head of UFAWU has called the current situation in the fishery both on the water and the plants as a disaster, what kind of fool would tell someone to look for a job there if they’re looking for more than a day or two of work this summer?

And one and a two, one, two, three four

If you work for the “cannarys”, do they pay up in chicken feed?

NO THEY PAY 25 DOLLERS A HOUR.

a one, two, one, two, three, four

[size=1000]HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…!!![/size]

Ajaye, this must be the most incredibly retarded one-line comment I’ve ever read.

Keep going boy, North Korea must have the best living standards in the world I’ve heard ./sarcasm

I made a mistake i was going to say up to 25 a hour they start at 13 a hour
im only human.

[quote=“ajaye46”]I made a mistake i was going to say up to 25 a hour they start at 13 a hour
im only human.[/quote]

and a one an a two, one, two, three, four

jesus…ajaye your not to friucking bright is u…

OK, let’s at least let ajaye in on the joke that he seems to be the butt of… canary (altho you spelt it cannary) is a little yellow bird. The cannery is a place where fish is processed. And you may be right about the $24/hour…let’s give him credit for that.

ha your lucky if they start you at 12.75 for 500 hours, then don’t call you back so you can’t get in the union ha ha ha, and to say its a good job, your crazy, the people that work at the cannery’s full time , are very lucky if they even get enough hours for EI for the winter months that they don’t work

The cannery will start at 14.21(at least it used too…) - that is if its unionized…I believe JS Mcmillan and the one in port ed start less. You have to accumulate alot of hours to get top rate, I think its 2400 (correct me if I’m wrong) and top rate is 17.50. There are premuims added for the type of work you do, which shift your on, and which department your in…its actually quite complicated. The highest rate I’ve ever been able to achieve at Canfisco was about 18.25 including shift premiums and such. I lucked out and got all my hours 10 years ago when there was an abundance of work in the industry. However with the industry going the way its going you’d be hard pressed to get the first rate raise(400 hours) in a season.

Dont get me wrong - the cannery is a good “second” job in order to make some extra money, but its hard to live on income that is never certain.

My mom and my aunty from terrace and alot of our east indian friends worked there and raised ther familys with
that job,its just kids today are to lazy they just want to play vidio games and drink
and smoke weed,i guess thats
why there is so many young girls getting knocked up just so they can collect welfare and run around the mall with there
strollers.

ajaye you really are a fool …

[quote=“ajaye46”]My mom and my aunty from terrace and alot of our east indian friends worked there and raised ther familys with
that job,its just kids today are to lazy they just want to play vidio games and drink
and smoke weed,i guess thats
why there is so many young girls getting knocked up just so they can collect welfare and run around the mall with there
strollers.[/quote]

So your son is lazy and smokes weed, and your daughter never stops getting pregnant so she can get handouts for the sole purpose of going to the mall buying LV stuff. I get you.

Felt bad for your mom and aunt though.