What Kind of Workers Are Needed?

[quote=“ajaye46”]My mom and my aunty from terrace and alot of our east indian friends worked there and raised ther familys with
that job,its just kids today are to lazy they just want to play vidio games and drink
and smoke weed,i guess thats
why there is so many young girls getting knocked up just so they can collect welfare and run around the mall with there
strollers.[/quote]

And a one, two, one, two, three, four…

lol :smiley:

Seriously, back on topic please. This wasn’t a “hahaha what kind of slacker do you wanna be” thread. I am looking for no-bullshit answers to industry needs. Something that obviously is really hard to have clarified in this town. So what is left of our industry, grain, coal, container, what do these guys need…

Obviously anyone can work at MacDonalds and MASTER the “…would you like fries with that?” …I’m concerned with well paid, trades. Electrician, carpenter etc.

Actually meepmeep if I saw on someone’s resume they did more than a year at Mickey Dee’s it would go to the top of the list.
They’d have a clue about work ethics, production and what’s expected of them.
I’m tempted to black out names and post some of the resumes I get, they’re so sad… even had a guy last week who insisted on leaving a copy of his “re-zoom” in case I was hiring again soon. He’d listed THE DAY he worked at the mill and TWO WEEKS he worked as a dishwasher at the cafe. That’s it… and he was in his late 20s.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Actually meepmeep if I saw on someone’s resume they did more than a year at Mickey Dee’s it would go to the top of the list.
They’d have a clue about work ethics, production and what’s expected of them.[/quote]

Ah. Yes, I agree, actually. I often get caught throwing out already-coined cliche phrases in passing. It’s a character flaw. I was referring to the typically minimum wage, short-term work that is often given to students, casual or part timers. Working at MacDonald’s for a long-term I would agree with you - that would require some work ethic and some knowledge of work-flow and time management.

Yikes.

Meep

A couple of thoughts…

Corporate profits are rising but unemployment is continuing to stay high. This downturn seems to be a bit different. You may be aware that there is now talk (Al Greenspan amongst others) of a double dip recesssion in the states. This fear might cool the jets of large corporations who were thinking about expanding. Chances are that there will not be large scale hirings in Prince Rupert due to corporate expansion until business leaders decide that the east-asia world economy is safely out of trouble (exports) and that the USA has solved it’s problems (inports). There continues to be concern about the sustainabilty of China’s economic growth.

Robert Half (an placement agency) recently did a survey and determined demand will continue to rise for people trained in Human Resources, Finance etc. Lots of people currently holding leadership positions in these areas are expected to retire within 5 - 7 years as the boomers continue to grow older and leave the work force.

Check some government websites and independent research organizations for what they think will happen next. Here is a link to an old report and with a bit of sleuthing you can probably find something a bit newer.

aved.gov.bc.ca/labourmarketi … _paper.pdf

Most jobs are with small to medium sized business. The BC Ministry of Education, Skills and Training published this in 1996. It is still relevant. The following transferable skills were needed:

Knowing the business: Act with common sense in a work context. This means acting in a way that is sensitive and responsive to customer expectations and needs; dealing effectively with customers; talking in writing in a way that is relevant to the organization through knowledge of the business and its activities; identifying with the comany.

Exploiting information technology: Be willing to learn and use new uses of information technology

Behaving appropriately: Act ethically and with integrity; be productive, cooperative, accountable, responsibile, flexible and positive (especially about change).

Speaking and listening: Receive, comprehened and interpret complex instructions; talk with, provide to and seek and clarify information from co-workers, customers, clients, and those in authority, in person and by telephone.

Writing: Write clearly, concisely and to the point, consistently conforming to grammactial conventions and using correct spelling.

Maintaining personal standards: Be concerned with personal well-being; maintain standards of hygience and dress which conform with an organization’s expectations. Practice a heathy lifestyle. Stay in shape, don’t smoke, moderate your use of other substances.

Handling numbers: Extract and record numerical data and carry out calculations with high levels of accuracy, involving addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and the use of percentages.

Responding to problems: Be alert to what is happening at work and be able to identify, investigate and evaluate potential and actual problems, be able to report them concisely and clearly orally and in writing.

Continually Learning: Take responsibilty for own learning, learn through working with others, from manuals, and from mistakes.

Planning: Manage the use of time; master, plan and undertake a number of activities with are inter-related or overlap in time.

Working with Teams: Work within and contribute to the effectiveness of a team, respecting differences; take responsibilty and be willing to make decisions.

Using Equipment: Set up and operate equipment that can require selection from options or different settings.

Reading: Read to extract information and to interpret instructions from short notes and prose.

Find something that you enjoy doing. Life is too short to spend 35+ hours per week doing something you hate, even when the money is good. I have seen far to many people go to work each day, who were just hanging in there to get to retirement. Instead, find out what you are already good at, and then find some jobs that use those skills. I believe that Hecate Strait and/or the EI office occassionally provide aptitude testing for people who are considering upgrading their training

Good luck and may you find success in your job search!

P