What distro are you running?

Thanks:-)  I’ve been wanting to give FreeBSD another try for awhile now, I’ll go check out openbsd.  I really like FreeBSD; it is fun to learn some new stuff.  Heh, I think I’ll always be a Linux guy, but, the BSDs are very cool indeed. :smiley:

Gnome gsucks.

Gnome isn’t too bad, but, use what ever desktop environment works for you.  I personally like KDE, Gnome, and XFce. :smiley:

make sure it isnt’ using the VESA driver for video… it’ll detect, and work under the standard resolutions… but it’s slow, and won’;t allow the use of more fun resolutions

and as usual the Fedora development branch for me (pre FC6, 5.91 as of now)

things to do for my linux laptop:
-make sleep work
-make internal modem work better

I got fed up and bought a solid 56k PCMCIA modem to do my browsing on… dialup isn;t as bad as I remember! browsing is quick, MSN works fine… just don’t try and combine those with a download in the background. a month of dialup only cost me $18 bucks too, not bad

I really like Windows XP!

(ducks, runs for cover)

I don’t know which is better, I use both KDE & Gnome. Mainly Gnome now, but all my old machines were Mandrake-KDE. I’ll have to try Kubuntu…

ackkk: It’s a Dell? And it doesn’t work with ? Are you surprised?
Are you using the priority Dellubuntu (only $799.95)? No wonder!

I think you would like Kubuntu:-)  It uses Adept as the GUI for apt-get, it is rock-solid. :smiley:

It has been several months or more since the last time that I ran Debian Etch.  I had two failed attempts which really started to annoy me.  Maybe bad burns, repo errors, who knows.  I decided to try Etch again today and downloaded the netinstall iso for Etch Beta 3.  I am very pleased with the results!  The good people at Debian have really fine-tuned the netinstaller.  Etch is like Ubuntu except it is a lot faster and uses almost no swap.  Also Etch will automagically set-up xorg for you, no configuration required.
A very sweet distro, I highly recommend it:-)

Here is mine :smile:

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

I love OS X!

It’s Pretty Slick… Waiting to see what 10.5 would be like on a Dual 2.0 G5 with 4Gigs ram… Next For Upgrades :smile:

4 GB RAM!  That will really kick ass:-)

Arrggghhh our mailserver got whacked upgrading it. Byebye Gentoo, we found a totally cool step by step here: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier to replace it with a Debian box.
Only word of advice is to ignore your ubergeek tech and install Gnome or KDE before you do the step by step and save at least 6 hours by cut&paste from the online tutorial. Yes I know you can ssh from somewhere else but why?

Nice tutorial, thanks, I’ve bookmarked that one:-) 
Sorry to hear your Gentoo box got fubared during the upgrade.  I’ve been very happy with Debian so far.  I gave up on Debian before as the beta 2 release of Etch was really buggy (for me anyway).  Etch beta 3 is gold and runs very well.  Interesting to note that the good people at Debian have borrowed coughstolen cough the update icon feature that Ubuntu uses, so a purdy little icon shows up on your panel when updates are available. 
I’ve now ditched Ubuntu in favour of Debian. :smiley:

I think with the amount ubuntu has borrowed (or as you put it “stolen”  from debian) they are allowed to take an icon. By the way if you like those howto’s goto debian-administration.org

Arent you proud I didnt even say anything about how you should have just used ssh because it would have been quicker… damn… so much for that :wink:

Bad joke, agreed. :blush:
Ubuntu owes the good people at Debian a great debt.  Thanks for the debian-administration.org site:-)

Debian Etch Linux. Using the apt-get package management system in Debian Linux makes software installations and upgrades very simple. :smiley:

Here’s a bigger shot:

i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/ … titude.jpg

Just set my laptop up dualboot with Dapper Drake…
It was not so cool being a Toshiba A70 and just powering off at 98% complete. Finally managed the install on the fourth attempt, with the battery out, propped up on some DVD cases, overtop a 3 fan laptop cooler, after firing Dustoff thru the whole thing.
This thing’s going back to Suture Flop (no the warranty doesnt cover the battery, no we dont carry replacement batteries, no we never heard of another A70 that just shuts off…) soon as I find the damned receipt.

TEE HEE your dumb for buying it from there :smile: lol :smiley:

We never hear you complain about your mac… WEIRD!!

Fanboy alert!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14500443/