What distro are you running?

Right now I’m running Slackware 10.2 on my main box, Suse 10.0 on my second box and Mandriva 2006 on my Apache server.
What are you running? :smiley:

Router: RedHat 6.2
Web,SQL: Fedora 4
Mail: Gentoo
Mail2: Fedora2
Radius,SQL2: Fedora 4
Toy1: Ubuntu
Toy2: Damn Small Linux off a 128MB CF card

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Router: RedHat 6.2
Web,SQL: Fedora 4
Mail: Gentoo
Mail2: Fedora2
Radius,SQL2: Fedora 4
Toy1: Ubuntu
Toy2: Damn Small Linux off a 128MB CF card[/quote]

Very sweet! Fedora, DSL, and Ubuntu rocks! How did you get Gentoo running,stage 1.2,3? I tried Gentoo, but, failed. I have a good understanding of Slack. :smiley:

Friend from MUN actually set up the Gentoo machine, that’s what he was more familiar with (didn’t want to translate to redhat). I’m just running it and learning the differences myself.
I started from Mandrake 6, so I’m more familiar with redhat styles.
I’m still a noob.
edit: it was Mandrake 5. i got it among the swag from an ISP conference in '99

I hate Fedora so much. Everytime I’m forced to use it, I’m screaming at the top of my lungs how crappy it is.

WTF is wrong with Fedora? Don’t use the ‘too big’ line when you can grab 200 Gig drives and 1 Gig DDRs so cheap…

Just seems like I’m troubleshooting things that worked just fine last week. Nothing changed, all settings are the same, it just stopped. I’m no Linux guru, so it may be my own fault, but I don’t ever seem to have the same issues with something like *BSD.

Just an example of my latest screaming fit, I changed a wireless AP, changed the SSID and such to match the new unit, and I’ve yet to get the damn thing back online. It detects the AP just fine, but will not get IP going. No explanation, it just refuses to work.

I’m sure I’ll just reinstall everything and it’ll all work, but what a pain.

Damn thats just too many distro’s to worry about. I’d go crazy trying to keep everything straight. In the last year Ive tried Fedora and Ubuntu and did not like either of them. Their layout was so much different than the BSD’s that I could just not get used to them.

I setup a few Mandrake boxes about 6 yrs ago, no recollection of what version, 4 maybe? 5? Anyway I went to setup sendmail and went looking for the sendmail.cf file. I dont recall where it was but it was in some out of the way directory that really had no bearing on mail stuff. I ended having run a find over the whole disk to locate it.

By that point I had been using *BSD’s for a few yrs and was just too used to the logical way they do things. Ive been using FreeBSD as my main OS for most server type things since version 2.1.6, late '96 or so and using a Linux distro of any type just frustrates the hell outta me.

[quote=“VMS”]Damn thats just too many distro’s to worry about. I’d go crazy trying to keep everything straight. In the last year Ive tried Fedora and Ubuntu and did not like either of them. Their layout was so much different than the BSD’s that I could just not get used to them.

I setup a few Mandrake boxes about 6 yrs ago, no recollection of what version, 4 maybe? 5? Anyway I went to setup sendmail and went looking for the sendmail.cf file. I dont recall where it was but it was in some out of the way directory that really had no bearing on mail stuff. I ended having run a find over the whole disk to locate it.

By that point I had been using *BSD’s for a few yrs and was just too used to the logical way they do things. Ive been using FreeBSD as my main OS for most server type things since version 2.1.6, late '96 or so and using a Linux distro of any type just frustrates the hell outta me.[/quote]

I gave FreeBSD 5.2 a try and didn’t really get into it, although I can see it is a rock solid *nix, stable as hell. Slackware is a linux distro you might like as it is very BSD-like, the installer interface is virtually the same as the FreeBSD sysinstall interface.
At this point in time my favourite distro is Slackware 10.2. I’ve also stopped using Fedora and Ubuntu. Both, good stable distros, I just like to play with new stuff:-) Suse 10.0 OSS is quite good, the good people at Novell have fixed the bugginess of YAST.

I ran FC4 for a time, it is a good distro imho.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Friend from MUN actually set up the Gentoo machine, that’s what he was more familiar with (didn’t want to translate to redhat). I’m just running it and learning the differences myself.
I started from Mandrake 6, so I’m more familiar with redhat styles.
I’m still a noob.
edit: it was Mandrake 5. i got it among the swag from an ISP conference in '99[/quote]

Yep, I’m a complete gentoo n00b. :smiley: I’ve read good things about vidalinux which is gentoo, but, it comes with the anaconda installer that redhat uses. The anaconda installer that fedora and redhat uses is the best in the business, I think.
No complaints from me about Mandrake. My Mandriva apache server runs flawlessly. I really like the shorewall firewall that comes with it.

The BSD and Linux file system layouts can be pretty different, and very frustrating to go from one to the other. I started with NetBSD, went to Linux, and when I tried to go back, I couldn’t remember shit.

Fedora Development for me… they’re labelling the packages as FC5 now, so I imagine its’ going to get pushed into mainstream soon.

[quote=“rangerwreck”]The BSD and Linux file system layouts can be pretty different, and very frustrating to go from one to the other. I started with NetBSD, went to Linux, and when I tried to go back, I couldn’t remember shit.

Fedora Development for me… they’re labelling the packages as FC5 now, so I imagine its’ going to get pushed into mainstream soon.[/quote]

Yes. Exactly. After several years of typing commands on a Linux shell prompt I couldn’t figure things out well enough in BSD to feel comfortable. So, it is Linux for me. :smiley:

OpenBSD…It’s Canadian!

When we built our new servers I insisted on Gnome or KDE, just so when I screwed up I could point and click things back into shape. I mean GUI has been the way to run a computer since the first Mac (I already had run my C64 with berkely’s GUI for several years, then Amiga).
So after over a year in service I find myself using the webmin with Firefox and everything else thru CLI…
But enuff is enuff, I’d like to check out BSD, but I will pretty much stick to Fedora.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]When we built our new servers I insisted on Gnome or KDE, just so when I screwed up I could point and click things back into shape. I mean GUI has been the way to run a computer since the first Mac (I already had run my C64 with berkely’s GUI for several years, then Amiga).
So after over a year in service I find myself using the webmin with Firefox and everything else thru CLI…
But enuff is enuff, I’d like to check out BSD, but I will pretty much stick to Fedora.[/quote]

Yes, I’m stuck with Linux as well. I read at /. that FC5 will be released soon, that will be very exciting indeed. I’ve run FC3 and FC4 and they were awesome.
FC5 is in beta testing 3 right now. I ran PCBSD for a time…it was pretty cool…but…then I went back to Slackware 10.2
Yes, Gnome and KDE are proven, battle-tested, mature desktop environments; they’re excellent. I’m running KDE 3.4 on my main Slackware box. I’ve also run XFce4 on my old Pll 266 Slackware box…it runs quite well without going into swap. :smiley: Linux is the next wave:-)

I just installed Debian Etch today, it is an awesome distro, very much like Ubuntu. It uses the powerful apt-get package management system, very nice. :smiley:

Anyone know a good torrent site for Linux distros?

This site has bittorrents and lots of links for downloading full iso files.

http://linuxiso.org/

I also use this site, not sure if it has bitorrent though. I hope that helps.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/

Thx, wanted to grab Mandriva One iso, but forgot when I was at the E10…
just set up a 24db grid shooting thru a narrow window and thru Sherwood bloddy Forest, but I can live with 490KB until daylight.