Waterfront Barriers

I don’t think so. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wanting both. In fact, I think it’s some kind of slave mentality that says only one side can win so it shouldn’t be our side. What’s that about?

The city could look into building a walkway over the water and then a pedestrian overpass before the pellet storage facility. But the chances of that happening are pretty remote. You can’t have people walking along down to Graham because of the liability issues, and its just going to get even busier with trains. It would be nice to have a nice pier down at the waterfront park like other towns/cities that have water access. You need to share the costs with CN and the Port Authority.

the city is broke . until some of these industrys are built and paying into the city taxes and get going i dont see anything happening until that happens it takes time . look what alcan does with kitimat i dont think they did it until they got established

Not so good with car analogies? Let’s try a beer one. You wan’t a case of beer, you can afford an OE if you save up for a long time… or you can do without a roof over your head and get your beer.

In this case the roof over your head is roads, sewage system, water supply, your internet provider etc and the beer is your waterfront walkway, the OE is a trail somewhere cheaper that nobody including you will enjoy.

A nice waterfront is not in the cards for prince rupert for a long long time if ever.

[quote=“jesus”]

Not so good with car analogies? Let’s try a beer one. You wan’t a case of beer, you can afford an OE if you save up for a long time… or you can do without a roof over your head and get your beer.

In this case the roof over your head is roads, sewage system, water supply, your internet provider etc and the beer is your waterfront walkway, the OE is a trail somewhere cheaper that nobody including you will enjoy.

A nice waterfront is not in the cards for prince rupert for a long long time if ever.[/quote]

what happened i agree with you lol

[quote=“decker”]

what happened i agree with you lol[/quote]

You were right for once? it happens to everyone don’t be too shocked.

Well then, try this: you stick to beer. The rest of us can try to figure out how we can have our walkway AND have industry.

Oh I get it you just don’t get analogies. You can’t have both, not right now. In the future when the industry is settled in and is looking to give back to the community in order to receive either good publicity or tax breaks (assuming the city can afford them) then maybe you can have a nice new walking trail.

Right now the city is too broke and new industry that is in the red from building their new facilities arent in a place to donate to the city so here are your choices:

1. Have a nice walking trail at the waterfront right away and not have any industry
  2. have industry now that will contribute tax $$ to the city and bring employees who will pay more taxes, which may allow the city when it is not so broke build a trail with or without the assistance of the industry
  3. raise taxes yet again to pay for your walking path
  4. find a way to donate the few million needed to build a nice walking pier.

Frankly you’re in a town that is barely scraping by and might just be starting to recover, you’re in no place to make demands/requests.

I don’t think anyone is making any demands, we can have some dreams and goals though. Not much else here. I have friends who work at the Port, make a great wage and do you think they spend money in this town? Not much, just necessities. Always taking off for Van., Vegas, Mexico. The jobs at the Port and elsewhere are a means to an end and if you think they are going to be thrilled and content to spend money at the new dinky WalMart, think again although I think the majority of them are keeping the airlines in business. I guess that is a plus. This town will be an industrial town where people live to work and enjoy themselves elsewhere down the road, that’s just the way it may be. We don’t ask for much, just to enjoy the little there is to enjoy here now.

realtors and rona and homehardware benefit from port workers too :smile: