Waterfront Barriers

Concrete blocks and new no trepassing signs are up down at the waterfront by the Rotary Park.

I wasn’t down there today, do you mean down by the old Via Rail that they are tearing down?

Yes, just past the Kwinitsa Station building, pretty much where the stretch of road begins. Pretty sad.

F%$@#$%$%$G Bullshit !!! Had coffee down there today and the wanna be CN cops have their little “Oh, look at us and how powerful are we?” signs up! Danger, you will be prosecuted BS! Talked to a couple , a very rebellious pair, I would have to say, to dare wave their fingers at these little men, walking from the Graham Ave. end to Kwinitza. Not too pleased either! Stop taking the little enjoyment we have in this damn town away from us, what next, a fence to keep us off the damn beach ! WTF !! There is a fence now just past the Marina also so you can’t walk back there towards the cop station.

I had heard this for a while now that the Prince Rupert Water Front in front of down town, and towards the port was going to be off limits, and it actually happend. :frowning: and the ban goes even further so that almost the whole thing is. Another reason why I am looking at moving. I love spending time along water fronts and I want to live where people are encouraged to spend time by the sea not banned from going…

The only thing CN has taken away from you is you’re perceived right to trespass.
It’s private property.

Duh construction zone folks tearing down the old via station and starting construction on the pellet plant. Should they let you roam in there ???

[quote=“Piknic”]

The only thing CN has taken away from you is your perceived right to trespass.
It’s private property.[/quote]

correction

Hurry up and move jamesbrown…one less whiner

Duh, the blockade is not by the old Via Rail building, it is right by the beach and until they even draw the plans for the pellet plant, why can’t we keep walking there?. People were ignoring the sign tonite anyway and walking their dogs through there. Some of us in this place find it an enjoyable walk, we will miss it like we miss all the other “used to be’s” in this crap-hole!

I agree!!!

I think its because of toxic waste, at least it used to be. They had a huge fire down there in the early 70’s and rather than clean it up they decided to fence off the contaminated area, it was their prpoerty so that was an option for them, if the public has access then it has to be cleaned up so the cost effective way was to fence off the area in question. CN owns the entire waterfront, at least they did so they can fence off the entire waterfront if they so choose, it does not and has not ever belonged to the citizens at least that was my understanding.

via rail building is being redone not torn down.

the fences are up because of safety. with how of the trains are moving in and out it is hard for cn and ilwu workers to ensure there is no one on the tracks when they are moving the cars in and out . lucky that it took this long to fence off. get over it. its progress for the town more jobs , yes there is a waterfront but that is also where our future jobs and most of our current jobs are . this town was built for the transfortation industry . not people walking their dogs along a dirt road

via rail building is being redone not torn down.

the fences are up because of safety. with how of the trains are moving in and out it is hard for cn and ilwu workers to ensure there is no one on the tracks when they are moving the cars in and out . lucky that it took this long to fence off. get over it. its progress for the town more jobs , yes there is a waterfront but that is also where our future jobs and most of our current jobs are . this town was built for the transfortation industry . not people walking their dogs along a dirt road

This is probably a smart move by CN. Rail traffic is increasing which means there’ll be more activity in the rail yard. The last thing we need is some kid getting run over by a train because they or their parents weren’t aware of property rights or the inherent dangers of the area. This should address that concern.

We’ve been fortunate for a long time to have had access to this area but times are changing and we’re finally on the verge of prosperity. What we really need now is to rally together and let the Port and the city that we want recreational water access in a safe area, away from rail traffic.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]This is probably a smart move by CN. Rail traffic is increasing which means there’ll be more activity in the rail yard. The last thing we need is some kid getting run over by a train because they or their parents weren’t aware of property rights or the inherent dangers of the area. This should address that concern.

We’ve been fortunate for a long time to have had access to this area but times are changing and we’re finally on the verge of prosperity. What we really need now is to rally together and let the Port and the city that we want recreational water access in a safe area, away from rail traffic.[/quote]

There is only one problem with their idea to limit access as drunks and kids still gain access from the trail down in front of the Highliner where the Elizabeth Apts. used to be and of course you can still access the dirt road from the beach. What would the “limit access” solution be there? Fence the beach area off also? And the trail? And…so on and so on !!

[quote=“decker”]via rail building is being redone not torn down.

the fences are up because of safety. with how of the trains are moving in and out it is hard for cn and ilwu workers to ensure there is no one on the tracks when they are moving the cars in and out . lucky that it took this long to fence off. get over it. its progress for the town more jobs , yes there is a waterfront but that is also where our future jobs and most of our current jobs are . this town was built for the transfortation industry . not people walking their dogs along a dirt road[/quote]

I agree with you of the importance of safety and that these barriers are also a reflection of the great jobs created, however, we need to be able to enjoy the beauty of our water view. In order to attract high skilled people to run the projects that are on the radar we need to have a balance of family and work. Scenic waterfront strolls, walks and runs along the waterfront is, for some, a way of forgetting about the days of work.

The rain in Prince Rupert is enough to scare anyone to come here to work let alone no access to the waterfront.

"]The barricades and signs were put up yesterday, and CN regional manager of public affairs Emily Hamer says it is due to safety concerns with the public on the railway’s property.

I must say, what did you guys do to piss CN off now?

not much of a waterfront to walk along in my opinion after growing up in victoria i enjoy butze rapids way more

yes as much as i have been 'whining" I have to agree… the area around atlin and past new floats for water front is decent waking… that front waterfront road has been a mess for years. And again as much i been whining i agree that employment in this port city has to come first…