Walmart opening in October

Prince George has almost got civilized in the 25 yrs I’ve been up here. But I heard on an NW talk show there’s over 12,000 restaurants in Metro Vancouver now. Friday I get pick one of the whole 4 in this dump
Actually three or Subway. Ones closed this week they had to go to Vanc for the doctor
Four sm-BORKkk-absorbs

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Prince George has almost got civilized in the 25 yrs I’ve been up here. But I heard on an NW talk show there’s over 12,000 restaurants in Metro Vancouver now. Friday I get pick one of the whole 4 in this dump
Actually three or Subway. Ones closed this week they had to go to Vanc for the doctor
Four sm-BORKkk-absorbs[/quote]

You could always go to the big city of vanderhoof for some yummy yummy chinese food although the name appears to have changed since last time i passed through there.

This thread started talking about the Walmart opening date in Prince Rupert. Forget about all these restaurants. Wait until Walmart opens,then buy your groceries there and cook at home.

I for one, will be very disappointed if Walmart uses any of their retail space for groceries. There is a limited amount of space already for clothing, house ware etc.

Yummy-Yummies in Hooterville was good. We used to go there almost every other week. Unfortunately his wife HATED living up North. He used to gripe that the cowboys & indians preferred a fried ball of dough to real food. So the new owners renamed it Cowboys or something and serve “railroad Chinese”. Bleagghh.

As for off-topic, shit man you think you’re gonna get a WalMart with food? Terrace doesn’t even have that. Take a drive to Prince George and check their food floor. If you wanna waste time.
The house brands are worse than Plezident’s Choice and Welfare Family brands. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes not. Cheese is cheaper at Overwaitea. Safeway’s bakery in Terrace is fine dining compared to WalNutz, the meat is awful and uses American names (rodeo steaks are chuck - cheap cuz they’re awful). Fresh produce may be a couple cents less or a couple cents more.
My old lady does price change at Overwaitea here. So we know when stuff goes on sale and we’ve almost stopped shopping in PG for food altogether. We usually check out WalMart for the stuff they don’t sell elsewhere. Certain brands of pasta, sandwich meat & cheese packs and obscure sauces.
Otherwise what they sell it isn’t much different than Zellers.
The Zellers in PG shuts down this fall to become a Target, actually upscaling.

EDIT: I confess I like WalMarts mini-donuts. Little box is only $1 and seeing as how the Timmies in Hooterville hasn’t cooked a donut properly in six years (all of them are gooey in the middle - all the time) and the local bakery here closed, I’ll concede that much.

Walmart in Terrace has groceries. The real cheap stuff is at the end of the aisles. Like everything else at Walmart, if you get sucked into an aisle, it isn’t so cheap anymore.

Basically, anything that the average Joe would know the price of is definitely cheaper. Bread, milk, pop, etc. Everything else is the same price as other stores, or more expensive.

[quote=“My2cents”]

I for one, will be very disappointed if Walmart uses any of their retail space for groceries. There is a limited amount of space already for clothing, house ware etc.[/quote]

Hate to tell you this but there will more than likely be an assortment of groceries. I am looking forward to a lower cost grocery option other than dollar rama. Food is a huge draw to get people into the store, and all the rumour mills surrounding the subject of walmart say that grocery items will be carried, i have heard of a large wall of freezers being installed…

Walmart food? yuck… except for the stuff like pasta/whatever thats the same as everywhere else.

Well I stock my kitchen each time I go to terrace with walmart and superstore food so it works for me to have walmart food here… pet food is cheaper at walmart usually as well…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

Well I stock my kitchen each time I go to terrace with walmart and superstore food so it works for me to have walmart food here… pet food is cheaper at walmart usually as well…[/quote]

What you put in your body/your dogs body is your business I guess. I’m pretty leery of walmart food specifically their produce and no I’m not one of those organic nutjobs I just don’t like foods that are imported from china. It’s bad enough you cant get quality products anymore just cheap chinese crap.

I won’t feed my dog any chinese imported dog food like IAMS after all those dogs died he’s a stupid shit but he doesnt deserve to die that way.

The PR Walmart will not be having a produce/meat/bakery/deli section like the one in PG (I believe only supercentres have full grocery stores inside). It will have the same grocery offerrings as the Terrace Walmart (though on a smaller scale obviously) or the PR Shoppers.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but does Walmart not carry the same grocery items (besides produce/meat/deli ect) that Safeway/Overwaitea/SaveOnFood carry?

[quote=“bthedog”]The PR Walmart will not be having a produce/meat/bakery/deli section like the one in PG (I believe only supercentres have full grocery stores inside). It will have the same grocery offerrings as the Terrace Walmart (though on a smaller scale obviously) or the PR Shoppers.

Also correct me if I am wrong, but does Walmart not carry the same grocery items (besides produce/meat/deli ect) that Safeway/Overwaitea/SaveOnFood carry?[/quote]

Some of it is the same, some of it is different in similar packaging (like almost everything walmart sells), some of it is entirely different.

[quote=“jesus”]

Well I stock my kitchen each time I go to terrace with walmart and superstore food so it works for me to have walmart food here… pet food is cheaper at walmart usually as well…

What you put in your body/your dogs body is your business I guess. I’m pretty leery of walmart food specifically their produce and no I’m not one of those organic nutjobs I just don’t like foods that are imported from china. It’s bad enough you cant get quality products anymore just cheap chinese crap.

I won’t feed my dog any chinese imported dog food like IAMS after all those dogs died he’s a stupid shit but he doesnt deserve to die that way.[/quote]

The products I buy for myself and my cat are the very same as Overwaitea/ Safeway etc… Tired of everyone knocking walmart there products are mainly the same as anywhere else, and as far as made in china goes I find just as much at Canadian Tire that is made in china…
Once walmart comes to town it will smarten up other shops… I think most knew they will not be having produce and fresh meats it will be a scaled down assortment of the same as what Terrace has… Overwaitea and Safeway have too much free rain on groceries right now so walmart will be good…

The kid works in the Terrace WalMart, first job she’s held onto in her whole life. Likes it a lot.
I guess there was some problem with their existing site that they couldn’t expand it to a full food section. The PG one was easy, took down a wall and added almost 40% more floor space.

What Jesus and I are both saying is we don’t buy food because it’s cheaper. If you can’t tell the difference you’ll never understand. Hell most of you were raving about fucking Pizza Hut.

The WalMart produce sections where they have them is top class. Like Overwaitea and Safeway, someone takes care to remove bruised fruit and produce that’s turning brown. Not as nicely laid out, but nowhere like the hide them under dim lights like SuperStore. That adds to the price at WalMart too.
I don’t know what it’s like out your way, but even here in the Fort Coke & Pepsi go on sale for about $6.99 - $7.99 for 24 cans. The shop owners stock up because that’s way less than WalMart, even less than Costco. Even know one guy they took the coolers away, he was filling them from the Overwaitea sales rather than the Coke truck!

[quote=“jesus”]

Better greek? thats like discussing whether rwanda/somalia is a better environment to raise your ethnically diverse family… Oh I went there.

I’ve been to theanns its on my list of decent places I can’t say anything negative or positive really. Rhodos is terrible or was last time I went there enough that i wont go back but possibly not as bad as that shit place in terrace though its not really worth comparing.

I thought of this post, I just walked by Rodhos and a friend, (I dropped in for a minute) was having dinner there I never sajd anything but I saw a salad with ice berg lettuce the same as 20- 30 years ago in those old wooden bowls and same table clothes… sad no change

Overwaitea and Safeway have too much free rain on groceries right now so walmart will be good…

Rain will always be free, my friend.

[quote=“drummerboy”][/quote]

Overwaitea and Safeway have too much free rain on groceries right now so walmart will be good…

Rain will always be free, my friend.

LOL thats cute

The bold blue and yellow Walmart signs have changed the face of the 2nd ave. sky line…

The big day is Friday, it will be interesting to see what is available in this smaller store format.

Anyone heard what the hours will be, or is that yet to be anounced?

It will be open till 10 everyday…the pharmacy will have different hours though.