Walmart opening in October

[quote=“jamesbrown”]I was in Dollarama today, i think the problem is that right now there is a retail shortage until Walmart arrives, so Dollarama cannot kept up with stock, once Walmart is open I think it will ease and the store will be fuller. I noticed Shoppers looking empty in places as well for the same reason.
Someone told me people are coming in from Terrace for Dollarama, until they get there store, I had to chuckle about that…[/quote]

Thats a good guess, except some of those shelves have been empty since the store opened. A good number of shelves in that store has never had stock on it.

[quote=“CrazyMike”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]I was in Dollarama today, i think the problem is that right now there is a retail shortage until Walmart arrives, so Dollarama cannot kept up with stock, once Walmart is open I think it will ease and the store will be fuller. I noticed Shoppers looking empty in places as well for the same reason.
Someone told me people are coming in from Terrace for Dollarama, until they get there store, I had to chuckle about that…[/quote]

Thats a good guess, except some of those shelves have been empty since the store opened. A good number of shelves in that store has never had stock on it.[/quote]

I think they just need a smaller store! It is a nice store but to see the shelves so empty and they have been that way since they opened is strange and they will “stretch” out the display of the same items to cover more area also. Smart !! Staff has told me they aren’t planning on any new stock just replenishing what is already there. Maybe holiday time will fill it up, Halloween is just around the corner !

Don’t SAY things like that. Someone will start playing Christmas music in the stores. :frowning:

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

I was in Dollarama today, i think the problem is that right now there is a retail shortage until Walmart arrives, so Dollarama cannot kept up with stock, once Walmart is open I think it will ease and the store will be fuller. I noticed Shoppers looking empty in places as well for the same reason.

But isn’t everything in Terrace better/cheaper,why would they come from Terrace if that was true ?

I have trouble believing anyone comes from terrace to rupert to shop, but if you believe that… HTMF is going to start billing per post. if you are opposed to this and are going to leave if they go ahead with this plan please quote this post to protest this decision and show board management how we feel.

I doubt that anyone drives from Terrace to Rupert to go to Dollarama. Unless they have an electric car and their time is worth nothing, then it doesn’t make any financial sense. Especially when there’s a Dollar Store here in Terrace (and Liquidation World and other cheap stores).

But I can definitely see driving to Prince Rupert for a visit, for a drive, dropping in on friends, etc. And stopping at Dollarama to buy an emergency rain poncho :smile:

A few years ago I met people from Terrace who said they came here to shop, especially bikes at Farwest Sports because they said they were cheaper than the bike shop in Terrace.

My personal experience, based on 1 visit, is that the bike shop in Terrace loses to Farwest Sports in Rupert just on attitude alone. I don’t care what the price is, I’m not going back to that shop :smile: Yeah, I can see driving to Rupert just not to have to deal with the attitude I faced in that store.

But if people are looking for “cheaper than bike store” – there’s Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart :smile:

Tons of people come from Terrace to PR…however shopping is not the main draw.

Most are coming to simply get out of Terrace for the day, go out on the ocean, have a nice dinner/lunch ect (Rupert has FAR the superior restaurants to Terrace).

Rupert people go to Terrace for the chains/national retailers.

[quote=“bthedog”]Tons of people come from Terrace to PR…however shopping is not the main draw.

Most are coming to simply get out of Terrace for the day, go out on the ocean, have a nice dinner/lunch ect (Rupert has FAR the superior restaurants to Terrace).

Rupert people go to Terrace for the chains/national retailers.[/quote]

I’ll agree with that. The only good places to eat there, that aren’t a franchise are the bear country, and the northern motor inn. And they’re owned by the same people.

I dunno, Don Diego’s is pretty good. I’d say it beats anything in Rupert.

And you have to add the “non-chain” bit, since there are things like Mr. Mikes, Boston Pizza, Pizza Hut, etc. that Rupert doesn’t have.

The Chinese food I’ve had at a couple of places in Terrace was just as good as the stuff in Rupert.

Blackstone (I think thats the name) was really good. Rupert has a few good places. Terrace has more choices.

Hot House is good.
Back Eddy can be hit or miss. Usually miss, especially when you add the service into the picture.

Saying that the Chinese in Terrace was just as good as the stuff in Rupert is not really a compliment.

[quote=“MiG”]I dunno, Don Diego’s is pretty good. I’d say it beats anything in Rupert.

And you have to add the “non-chain” bit, since there are things like Mr. Mikes, Boston Pizza, Pizza Hut, etc. that Rupert doesn’t have.

The Chinese food I’ve had at a couple of places in Terrace was just as good as the stuff in Rupert.[/quote]

Don Diegos? What do they serve there?
I’ve heard the indian food is good too. But I’m afraid to eat it (IBS)

[quote=“MiG”]I dunno, Don Diego’s is pretty good. I’d say it beats anything in Rupert.

The Chinese food I’ve had at a couple of places in Terrace was just as good as the stuff in Rupert.[/quote]

The entire north seems to be where good food went to die. That said don diegos was really good if thats your type of food. I had some rosemary something or other lamb chops that were okay (potatoes were awesome!), the wife had an enchilada that she loved. Wasn’t my type of food though but the service was awesome, price was decent, and the wife loved hers so take from that what you will. The greek place here whatever its called is fucking terrible i felt like I was eating 10 day old rice… or maybe it was boiled into mush for those without teeth? although that wouldnt explain the lamb rawhide I “enjoyed”… I was going to try blackstones but the menu appeared to be mostly seafood and I don’t like seafood.

Prince rupert is a desolate wasteland when it comes to eating out, there is not a single restaurant there that i’ve ever had food that was beyond decent at best. Any restaurant that used to be good is just trying to survive off their reputation from a decade ago. Sad. If you want to prove me wrong please suggest a place in either terrace or rupert and I’ll go give it a try. I’m dying for a day off of cooking without sacrificing on taste.

Just for comparison and because they deserve the publicity: if any of you find yourself in nanaimo and in the mood for some of the best greek food you’ve ever had hit up astera’s then come back up here and try the “greek” food and tell me what you think. If you want some good italian food and find yourself in Kelowna try to get yourself a reservation at la’ isola bella in winfield and then come and try any of the “italian” places here.

The entire north seems to be where good food went to die

Permission to use that quote please!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]The entire north seems to be where good food went to die

Permission to use that quote please![/quote]

Sure. I’d like to open a restaurant one day but the ROI sucks and I don’t want to pour all my money into a bottomless pit that means I have to work until death.

Mr.Mikes in Terrace is downright terrible…one of the worst meals I have had in Terrace to be honest.

Don Diegos is by far Terrace’s best restaurant offering, but I don’t think it beats Waterfront Restaurant/Charlies, Opa Sushi or Cow Bay Cafe for food quality.

Rupert has better Greek (Theanns/Rodhos), Vietnamese (Pho 88), Chinese (Galaxy), Sushi (Opa) and Italian (La Gondola).

Terrace has better Indian (Hot House/Haryanas) and chains (Boston Pizza/KFC ect).

Outside of the North, Rupert has a good reputation for their local restaurants, much more so than Terrace…even people in Terrace will tell you that.

[quote=“jesus”]

The entire north seems to be where good food went to die. That said don diegos was really good if thats your type of food. I had some rosemary something or other lamb chops that were okay (potatoes were awesome!), the wife had an enchilada that she loved. Wasn’t my type of food though but the service was awesome, price was decent, and the wife loved hers so take from that what you will. The greek place here whatever its called is fucking terrible i felt like I was eating 10 day old rice… or maybe it was boiled into mush for those without teeth? although that wouldnt explain the lamb rawhide I “enjoyed”… I was going to try blackstones but the menu appeared to be mostly seafood and I don’t like seafood.

Prince rupert is a desolate wasteland when it comes to eating out, there is not a single restaurant there that i’ve ever had food that was beyond decent at best. Any restaurant that used to be good is just trying to survive off their reputation from a decade ago. Sad. If you want to prove me wrong please suggest a place in either terrace or rupert and I’ll go give it a try. I’m dying for a day off of cooking without sacrificing on taste.

Just for comparison and because they deserve the publicity: if any of you find yourself in nanaimo and in the mood for some of the best greek food you’ve ever had hit up astera’s then come back up here and try the “greek” food and tell me what you think. If you want some good italian food and find yourself in Kelowna try to get yourself a reservation at la’ isola bella in winfield and then come and try any of the “italian” places here.[/quote]

That really depends on which Greek place you are referring too Theanns Greek Palace, Rodhos or Zorbas? There is a HUGE difference between all 3 places in terms of quality IMO.

[quote=“bthedog”]

Don Diegos is by far Terrace’s best restaurant offering, but I don’t think it beats Waterfront Restaurant/Charlies, Opa Sushi or Cow Bay Cafe for food quality.

Rupert has better Greek (Theanns/Rodhos), Vietnamese (Pho 88), Chinese (Galaxy), Sushi (Opa) and Italian (La Gondola).

Terrace has better Indian (Hot House/Haryanas) and chains (Boston Pizza/KFC ect).

Outside of the North, Rupert has a good reputation for their local restaurants, much more so than Terrace…even people in Terrace will tell you that.[/quote]

Better greek? thats like discussing whether rwanda/somalia is a better environment to raise your ethnically diverse family… Oh I went there.

I’ve been to theanns its on my list of decent places I can’t say anything negative or positive really. Rhodos is terrible or was last time I went there enough that i wont go back but possibly not as bad as that shit place in terrace though its not really worth comparing.

BP is consistently bland and sterile but thats why its so popular, its somewhere to go that you know you likely won’t get food poisoning and want a night of poor dining and pretending to be the person on the other end of the verizon guys phone calls. “what was that, I cant hear you”.

La gondola? really? my god man you need to head south and try one of the places I suggested. Clearly your taste buds have retreated faster, farther and more willingly than the french military.