Walmart opening in October

Spoke with a worker outside of the store and he told me the PR Walmart will be opening for business on October 17.

hmmm…funny I heard October 19, 2012. But then again I have known that for about a month now…so who knows right

Meh…difference is only two days…19th makes more sense as it is a Friday and 17th is a Wednesday.

It will be great to have it open … Very curious to see what this smaller version of walmart is going to look like, and what will and will not be carried at it.
The Zellers store was looking very tired for years, so whatever this new store looks like, i am betting it will be a huge improvement.

I hope they fix the lighting…the lighting in Zellers was depressing.

Shopping at Wal Mart is depressing

so are they using the upstairs for storefront ? or just storage still/?

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

Shopping at Wal Mart is depressing[/quote]

Shopping at Wal-Mart in Rupert will be more depressing than shopping elsewhere around town.

The only thing that will make shopping fun again in Rupert is an IKEA store. Guarantee it will.

The only thing that will make shopping in Rupert fun is NOT paying a %500 markup for mostly garbage. Would be nice to get a real toy section for the kids too. Rupert is non-existent for decent toys at the moment.

toysrus = free shipping

[quote=“decker”]

toysrus = free shipping[/quote]

Wow didn’t know that. Toys 'R Us it is then! Must be something new?

If you look outside of Rupert, pretty much everyone of us in Canada had to pay just as much as you do (except fuel and food), and it doesn’t have to be something made in places where labour is cheap.

Nevermind, I just forgot that local merchants like to mark up their stuff by 500%. lol

Toys r us has a huge markup so check prices elsewhere. I was going to buy a toy for my kid 50.00 at toys r us, 25.00 at super store and it wasnt just hte one item that was that much cheaper.

I do most of my shopping online now or head up to Terrace just for a day away from here but I do like the new and improved Shoppers, get some good grocery buys there. I like Dollarama also, bought some $2. handtowels which I thought I would have to dispose of after the first laundry but nope, fluffy and nice but why do they have such a big store when half the aisles are almost empty and apparently aren’t expecting any new stock?

I was in Dollarama today, i think the problem is that right now there is a retail shortage until Walmart arrives, so Dollarama cannot kept up with stock, once Walmart is open I think it will ease and the store will be fuller. I noticed Shoppers looking empty in places as well for the same reason.
Someone told me people are coming in from Terrace for Dollarama, until they get there store, I had to chuckle about that…

The first sign of retail tide change… in Rupert’s favour… (not really)

Yeah I too only know a couple people from Terrace who have jobs.

The lack of a large department/retail store (ie. Zellers/WalMart ect) and the result closing of Fields is really showing in the city right now…Dollarama/Shoppers/Bargain Shop are supplying the entire city right now, clearly they are having some difficulties with maintain stock levels considering.

When Walmart opens up, this will hopefully ease some of the stock levels at the other stores in the city.

[quote=“bthedog”]The lack of a large department/retail store (ie. Zellers/WalMart ect) and the result closing of Fields is really showing in the city right now…Dollarama/Shoppers/Bargain Shop are supplying the entire city right now, clearly they are having some difficulties with maintain stock levels considering.

When Walmart opens up, this will hopefully ease some of the stock levels at the other stores in the city.[/quote]

I don’t understand this post. On one hand you are saying some businesses are doing so well they can’t keep up with inventory. This is a good thing, and a smart business person ups their inventory level when this occurs. And then you go on to say that once Wal Mart opens this will “ease some of their stock levels”, as if this would be a good thing. To me, this is bad.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

[quote=“bthedog”]The lack of a large department/retail store (ie. Zellers/WalMart ect) and the result closing of Fields is really showing in the city right now…Dollarama/Shoppers/Bargain Shop are supplying the entire city right now, clearly they are having some difficulties with maintain stock levels considering.

When Walmart opens up, this will hopefully ease some of the stock levels at the other stores in the city.[/quote]

I don’t understand this post. On one hand you are saying some businesses are doing so well they can’t keep up with inventory. This is a good thing, and a smart business person ups their inventory level when this occurs. And then you go on to say that once Wal Mart opens this will “ease some of their stock levels”, as if this would be a good thing. To me, this is bad.[/quote]

I meant a good thing for us the shoppers, who can’t seem to find even the simplest things in the city right now…obviously the stores being depleted of stock is a great thing for the stores (ie: they cannot seem to keep up with demand, thus the lower stock levels) but for shoppers in town it is creating a problem of simply not being able to find what we need to, due to there being a huge hole in the retail picture in this city ATM.