VOTING: Who Are You Going to Vote For in Our Region?

A simple poll to give more HTMF’ers an idea of what other HTMF’ers have in mind when it comes to the upcoming Election.

SKEEN REGION only, please. :smile:

Fair enough, and good point MiG :smiley:

Elections BC Registered Political Party Listing

Christian Heritage Party?

see the last option.

Really, I was hoping to stick to the key players, but I inputted an “Other” option.

Last election, CHP, received 1,090, Greens received 1,606, and Liberals 1,895. All of those could be considered “other” since they have roughly the same range of support compared to the winner, who had close to 17,000 votes.

I wouldn’t call either the Green or Liberal candidates in the riding “key players” any more than the CHP candidate.

So it’s not fair to list the Liberals and Greens up there, and then consider the CHP to be an “other” party :smile:

But it’s your poll.

I won’t be voting for any of the major parties as this is a joke of an election. Does anyone really see anything changing?

I won’t be spoiling my vote as I prefer to have a say. Therefore I’ll likely be voting for the “other parties” most likely CHP.

Thank your for adding the other option but a simple pole like this should list each party separately, providing it is accuracy you’re after.

Heh, sorry man, don’t mean to be a stickler.

But you have some BC Parties listed, and this is a Federal Election, right? Run by Elections Canada, not Elections BC.

The Liberal Party of Canada and the BC Liberal Party are not the same thing, either :smile:

Once they actually file the paperwork, you’ll see the official list of candidates for Skeena-Bulkley Valley here:

elections.ca/scripts/pss/can … 7&TPageID=

And these are the official parties listed:

elections.ca/content.aspx?se … dex&lang=e

Just list “NDP” “Conservative” and Other, and you’ll have your bases covered for Skeena-Bulkley Valley :smile:

Oh, and I’m with CC Dynamo. I’m hoping the Canadian Pirate Party runs a local candidate.

I too hope the pirate party runs a local candidate.

I’d vote for Rod before I’d vote CPC. He has more integrity than Harper and all his candidates combined.
But Nathan’s getting my vote again.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
But Nathan’s getting my vote again.[/quote]

Yeah, Nathan gets my vote as well.

Mr. Harper has me very concerned about that coalition.

You know the coalition that Michael Ignatieff has said he is not interested in forming.

The coalition that forms the government of many European countries. And has been used in past Canadian governments.

The coalition that he considered forming in 2004 to replace Paul Martin’s minority government.

And the coalition that he can’t form as a minority government because he has alienated everyone else.

But Harper may be on to something. The coalition that scares the crap out of me is the one that is presently running Canada. You know, the coalition of Reformers/Alliance and Progressive Conservatives. They match that other coalition of right wingers who make up the Liberal party of BC.

Yep, Mr. Harper we should be very worried about coalitions.

[quote=“DWhite”]Mr. Harper has me very concerned about that coalition.
You know the coalition that Michael Ignatieff has said he is not interested in forming.
The coalition that forms the government of many European countries. And has been used in past Canadian governments.
The coalition that he considered forming in 2004 to replace Paul Martin’s minority government.
And the coalition that he can’t form as a minority government because he has alienated everyone else.
But Harper may be on to something. The coalition that scares the crap out of me is the one that is presently running Canada. You know, the coalition of Reformers/Alliance and Progressive Conservatives. They match that other coalition of right wingers who make up the Liberal party of BC.
Yep, Mr. Harper we should be very worried about coalitions.[/quote]

Thumbs up DWhite… Only someone with as much disdain for Canadian Democracy such as Harper has displayed would be yammering about evil coalitions… The unfortunate thing is that he seems to have learned if you repeat a lie often and loud enough… pple start to believe it.

The only thing that concerns me about the NDP is their pledge to eliminate the Senate.

Which no one can do as it requires messing with the constitution.
And eliminating is better than lying through your teeth about reform and then just stacking it with Tories. Yet another Harper fail.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Which no one can do as it requires messing with the constitution.
And eliminating is better than lying through your teeth about reform and then just stacking it with Tories. Yet another Harper fail.[/quote]

QFT … while I like the idea of an elected Senate, I believe there would be moves to change the terms of office which would make it easier for the party of the day to stack the Senate.

[quote=“DWhite”]Mr. Harper has me very concerned about that coalition.

Yep, Mr. Harper we should be very worried about coalitions.[/quote]

Well I think a coalition with the Libs and NDP is the best outcome for our region. Of course it looks like they will need help from the BLoc, but is still a better option than Harper. We will be represented by NDP for the forseeable future and the channces of NDP forming government is slim to none, and slim left town.
I believe Iggy has no choice but to say he will not form a coalition or he will put himself into a position to put the Tories into a majority government. Iggy will be replaced after the election, and I believe a Liberal lead coalition will take over after LIbs have a new leader.
Im all for the coalition,I wonder who else would be happy to see it?

I am afraid of a Harper majority more than I am a coalition of the other parties.

I campaigned for STV in the last provincial election, realizing that coalition governments would likely be the result. The failure of STV has delayed any kind of proportional representation for several years. In this election we clearly see the problem with the first past the post method of electing our government.

Harper and the Conservatives may get a majority with less than 40% of the popular vote. And it is even worse than that because a vast majority of the 60% are not just supporters of other parties, but they are actively opposed to Harper.

The Liberals will be handing their voters to the Conservatives if they ever were to seriously consider forming a coalition government with the NDP.

[quote=“DWhite”] … The coalition that scares the crap out of me is the one that is presently running Canada. You know, the coalition of Reformers/Alliance and Progressive Conservatives.
[/quote]

You aptly point to the irony of how Mr Harper has demonized coalitions, with some success it seems, although he leads what is essentially a Reform/PC party coalition which he helped craft.

The irony is even deeper if one goes back in history. Reform has roots in Social Credit, particularly in Alberta (Preston Manning /Ernest Manning) which in the 50s-60s elected MPs, while the PC party was a coalition of the Progressive party, which was once strong in the Prairies and rural Ontario, and the Conservative party (hence the double barreled name), which was formerly a Liberal-Conservative Party that emerged from the Unionist coalition of Robert Borden in WWI. There is a long tradition of coalitions in Canada involving conservatives.

The reality in Canadian politics is that so long as the Bloc commands a large following in Quebec, as it consistently has since the Mulroney era, majority governments will be elusive in this country. Chretien held a workable majority and maybe Harper will achieve one this time, but the days of back to back majorities may be over for a long time.

As has been pointed out on another thread, coalitions are not uncommon in leading democracies, most notably these days in the UK, with its first coalition since the wartime government of Winston Churchill. A coalition may well be a more effective way of governing compared to the rancor, divisiveness and mean spiritedness of Mr Harper’s political brand. I don’t think that even Conservatives can point to clear accomplishments of the Harper government, other than making patronage appointments of their loyalists and undoubted tactical skill at exploiting division and ineffectiveness in the opposition.

By comparison a Liberal-NDP coalition probably would not be a bad idea, although without a doubt that won’t be an outcome of this election.

[quote=“chookie”]
I believe Iggy has no choice but to say he will not form a coalition or he will put himself into a position to put the Tories into a majority government. Iggy will be replaced after the election, and I believe a Liberal lead coalition will take over after LIbs have a new leader.
Im all for the coalition,I wonder who else would be happy to see it?[/quote]

And while Jack Layton will obviously never be PM, it may not be that far-fetched that he or his successor may one day be a Deputy PM with a say in whether someone like Nathan Cullen gets a cabinet appointment in a coalition government, much like in the UK where Nick Clegg (of the Liberal-Democrats, which is a party coalition) is a key player in the Cameron coalition government.