Ugly Downtown Storefronts

At least THAT would be a response  :unamused:

Try the councillors on the phone if the emails don’t get a response.

voicemail box is full… :stuck_out_tongue:

We could always use you though. :smiley: :imp:

I cross the city on foot daily. And this is what I see and wonder?
How big do the piles of pigeon poop in front of the old Home Hardware and its neighbour, the former Chinese restaurant, have to become before some action is taken? What about all those derelict ugly store fronts along 3rd ave? What about the careless dog owners who no longer pick up after their pets day after day?  Why is city administration unresponsive to the state of decay in town?    Is there any by-law expecting owners to maintain clean storefronts and sidewalks?  If owners are uncooperative, why is the city not assuming the responsibility for clean up after due notice to owners and billing them for the costs. 
I expect my city to show leadership and organize owners and paid employees to clean up regularly; this is not jobs for volunteers!

Seems that there is a backlash brewing among what’s left of our business class, see Shaun Thomas’ article posted to the Northern View tonight, it’s a pretty good read as to what the city is charging business owners to keep within guidelines and the push back from them that it has caused.

You can find it in the Northern View section below or here’s a short cut for those who don’t feel like scrolling down.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 78837.html

Noticed last week the sidewalk in front of the old Home Hardware has been hosed down.

Notice also a couple of wet and dazed pigeons standing on the stoop of the building. The started looking at each other nervously (“Is he looking at us? I’m sure he’s looking at us.”) when I stopped to gaze at their waterlogged condition. I always thought feathers repelled water. lol

… an interesting article. The urban design guidelines that the local bourgeoisie is complaining about include requirements like sprucing up buildings with stucco … perhaps the city wants to encourage a Baroque or Rococo look for our tired looking downtown … rather than that old standby of North Coast construction… metal cladding.

The guidelines are in the new Zoning Bylaw … which was adopted just last August. The Northern View article says …

“Noting that approximately $200,000 had been spent developing the guidelines and the parking bylaw, Mayor Jack Mussallem acknowledged that it may be best to temporarily shelve those policies until the economy turns around in Prince Rupert.”

Seems a bit backwards … spend $200K, listen to local business owners, then decide to shelve things until better times return … Perhaps the Mayor and council should have consulted a bit more widely before spending the money.  

The guidelines have some nice pictures of what looks like Yaletown and other affluent urban spaces … perhaps to offer inspiration to our beleaguered business owners:  http://www.princerupert.ca/admin/editor/pdfs/2009/Downtown_DPA.pdf

The planners seem to have overlooked pigeon guano management … a matter of concern I suspect to more than a few of us downtown pedestrians …

… the local business owners also petitioned the city council to “terminate ticketing vehicles for parking less than 24 hours in the Cityâ€

I understand all of the ridiculous regulations that are imposed by city hall, I understand there is “not much” the city can legally do to enforce folks to clean up. So I guess we are back where we started just accepting the city looking like a dump due to lazy whining store owners. They ought to be ashamed of them selves.
Absentee owners should be fined due to the dangerous state of repair they leave their properties in as well.
We can’t give in to this,we have a city that deserves to be taken care of.

Oh sure i hope somebody from council or the mayer reads my reply.Why the hi taxes? does it look to you like we our booming city?How many empty retail out lets do you count?Why should I take the plywood off my windows?For some kid with nothing better to do or nowhere else to be can smash anouther window out ,maybe i should put more money into a losing venture  So you can raise up my taxes. How about a few breaks for new businesses like lowering the taxes for a new business or less hydro or gass prices maybe for just 3 years .I know my rant falls on deaf ears but to the person that started this post, find something else to wine about  

Buy it and you can clean your little hearts out …what cat got your tounge! thought so.

Well they do need something to talk about during cocktail hour at the Crest you know

You sound like a very intelligent person and hey look, you got a free ad on HTMF, good for you.
After reading your little rant however you seem want to blame everyone else for you making a bad investment.
That might be everyone else’s fault, but somehow I doubt it.
The point here is simple, if you own property it seems logical that you might want to keep it in good repair and looking clean. That might attract someone to rent it or buy it and then you might actually make some money. 
If you’d rather blame everyone else for your neglect and keep your building looking like a dump, that’s your choice. The point here is that I pay my taxes just like you and I’d rather have a downtown core that looks decent, go figure.
Your business sense and jumble of concerns are about as bang on as your spelling.
A friend of mine was in town looking at property to buy recently, he actually pointed out the building you pictured here and asked how anyone could expect someone to buy something as neglected as a place like that.
You’re right though, I better go whine about something else I guess. Over drinks at the Crest, sounds good.

The yards a bit messy but the insides redone if your buddy is still in town i would be delited to show him around , and bow if I make the sale with your buddy drinks are on me!..Oh and another thing in your second sentence i see you made a bit of a boo boo there ! after rant and before blame ! so right back at you on the spelling smarty pants.

whats the street address of that place??

985 3rd. ave. west the window were smashed out Ive got tempered glass ordered should be here next week