Ugly Downtown Storefronts

Sorry, Was not acutally funny…odd thing is is that (the hahhaha) part was suppose to be on facebook, and part of the comment ended up on facebook…Odd but will make sure does not happen again  :smile:  and thanks for pointing it out…
This is no laughing matter. I DO have pride in the town. Even if it is dwindling and things are closing. I am still a Proud supporter of this town. and Will contiue to help in the community as I (myself) can!

Start doing something yourself. Pick up garbage, grab a pressure washer, walk into one of the bad looking storefronts and offer to wash their storefront, free of charge. Go into a City Hall meeting, and ask if there can be any money donated to buying paint, the labor will be free. Or even better, ask the local paint shop…

You must be the change you wish to see in the world. - Mahatma Ghandi

Mahatma Ghandi would not be happy with me then  :confused:  My neighbours’ garbage was brekkie for the crows, he came out, looked at it, left in his car and that was that.  I am sorry but I am not going over to clean it up.  Maybe the crows will have brunch also. Yuck!!  I am all for civic pride but I don’t condone laziness and irresponsibility !

Our small community has a program where the neighbours come together and clean up.
It’s called Adopt a Street. We also have ‘Pitch In’ and on that day we have a landfill tipping fee free day. It is always a huge success.

This is how it works…

"Thank you for volunteering for the District of Barriere’s Adopt-A-Street Program.  Your participation is greatly appreciated and will result in a cleaner, more attractive community while furthering our goal to keep Barriere clean.

The Adopt-A-Street Program works by having participating groups “adoptâ€

I think this is brilliant and am encouraged that others that feel the same way.
I will be sending this to the council members and asking them when we can implement this type of thing. April would be great!
We should all contact them and let them know this idea is long past due.
Nothing gets done without the public (not just one person) requesting change.

[quote=“shutterbug1”]
Our small community has a program where the neighbours come together and clean up.
It’s called Adopt a Street. We also have ‘Pitch In’ and on that day we have a landfill tipping fee free day. It is always a huge success.

This is how it works…

"Thank you for volunteering for the District of Barriere’s Adopt-A-Street Program.  Your participation is greatly appreciated and will result in a cleaner, more attractive community while furthering our goal to keep Barriere clean.

The Adopt-A-Street Program works by having participating groups “adoptâ€[/quote]

No one cares anymore there are more people leaving then coming in,
we are a charity basket.

Does your BOSS know your talking like that???

hmmm, well last year I volunteered with civic pride clean up, it was scheduled on a sunday and all that garbage we picked up could not get to the dump until Monday. The dump closed on sundays all year round vs being open on a day people do clean up on Saturday and take garbage to the landfill on sunday. Perhaps this council will review the hours for the people vs mgmt’s convenience.

As for clean up, what about City Hall? The building is kind of run down looking and with the celebration next week and home coming, perhaps City Hall can get the clock working?  Noticed it today when I was on 3rd.

I was on third and did not see you around City Hall…

hee hee, I was there, went to Java cup for a Chai Tea latte. Hmmmm it was good!!  :smile:

Yes, great idea, read the article, and then stopped when it said “and $40,000 is expected to come from the Downtown Business Improvement Association”.  Prince Rupert has no BIA, further there is this ridiculous assumption in a town of 12,000 there are two urban centers, Cow Bay and 3rd Avenue.  During the summer I hear people even telling tourists (likely from urban centres like Seattle, LA, New York) that Cow Bay is not part of downtown; they’re 100 yards apart!!! 

Unity in the business owners is needed and leadership amongst them is sorely lacking as city hall merely imposing regulations and fines on building upkeep will be as welcomed as property tax increases.  The moment the city tries to impose a frontage upkeep bylaw you know the local businesses will counter with issues on vandalism.

It does say " with some modifications ". Altough you may make some valid points I disagree with your overall sentiment here. The bottom line right now is that there are buildings that are in a terrible state if disrepair and extremely dirty due to lack of basic maintenance. Your post does not suggest any solution, merely an attitude of this issue being a lost cause.
I would like the City administration to do something about how our city looks, plain and simple. I think there are folks who feel the same and will even help out if need be.
We have to start somewhere.
Would you rather we just do nothing?

I may be slack in my thinking here but with the ONE HUNDRED YEAR celebration only a week or two away is not enough time to make a dent around town. I do believe that we as citizens should approach the city council and ask them or tell them we need to cleanup our little town whats left of it. But will we be facing the claim that we are stepping on union space as far as the city goes. It is a disgrace for sure and how do we deal with the drunk wizzing against the wall or behind dumpster. I still wonder if the city council members bother to go about town and take notes with what they hear or see in this what once was a beautiful community. Do they venture past the corners of their desks. I believe if we got ourselves together and got over the hurdles we can be ready for the big cruise liners when they get here. Dear city mothers and father please try to imagine what this place used to look like and think of who does see all those photos tourists take and the great advertisements they end up being.

I agree with what you have to say JC, but we have to realize that this state of disrepair, lost sense of pride, empty stores is nothing new to this City Council.  Our Mayorship Herb Pond  :unamused: was also brought to task regarding the same issues especially when it came time for cruise ship season. As for the people pissing wherever they feel so inclined, that is that individuals’ responsibility and their issue, unfortunate that there is nothing we can do about that.  I do remember a couple of years ago though, a committee set up discussing just this issue, more washrooms for the downtown core but as usual, heard nothing regarding a solution.  I don’t even know if that committee is still in existence, I believe Micheal Curnes was at the helm for that one. I do remember they built a sidewalk ramp across from the video store and have heard nothing else since. It is all our responsibility from the tenant who leaves his garbage for the crows to pig out on to the store owners who let their property slide, possibly due to financial concerns.  I guess we just have to do the best we can with what we have and with this Council, that ain’t much  :imp:

I’m not sure whose responsibility it is but the lampstandard that was blown down several months ago is still lying down at five corners. Maybe council should deal with their own deferred maintenance issues before going after struggling businesses that are paying some of the highest municipal taxes in BC…

mmm High taxes and empty storefronts… wonder if there could be a conection?..Nahhh, I’m gonna find me a newcomer editor and whoop his ass… show folks what a real North Coast welcome is …

[quote=“Speakuppr”]
I’m not sure whose responsibility it is but the lampstandard that was blown down several months ago is still lying down at five corners. Maybe council should deal with their own deferred maintenance issues before going after struggling businesses that are paying some of the highest municipal taxes in BC…[/quote]

Apparently that street light is the responsibility of the department of transportation… wonder where they’ve been?

I friend of mine sent this idea to each and every Council member last week by email. He informs me that not one of them has responded.
How disappointing is that now ??
I am at a loss as to what to do about council members who don’t even have the decency to respond to requests from the public.

Send the request to the Daily Snewz mentioning the fact that it was sent to each Council Member and never received a response…I bet you get a nice nasty letter to the Editor from the Mayor!!  :imp:

Bow, when two councilors mentioned something about a closed meeting re: Watson Island deal (not that long ago), guess there were words in the chambers. I do not think our councilors really can say much, it is all screened.  :blush: