The nerve of some people in this town

recently ( with in the last month) there was a house fire on 5th west. well this poor woman lost everythingand now to add insult to injury so to say there are people breaking into the destroyed house to wreck things even worse. they break in through the boarded up windows during the night and destroy thing even more then they are as i have had this woman how onws the house come to me and ask me to keep an eye out. this really sickens me and thought that i would vent a bit about it and share with the public how disturbing this is.

We live in Rupert and this surprises you ?? Very sad but normal it seems, did you call the cops about it?

Well don’t make it sound like this is a problem specific to Prince Rupert. This type of stuff, regrettably, goes on everywhere.

the lady who owns the house did call the cops and made a report. there is a file open about it. but thanks for the suggestion.

that is just soo sad :frowning:

That poor woman. Not only has she lost, well I guess, everything but now what she has left people have to go around and destroy what little she has left. Even if the house has been destroyed by a fire, please people let the woman have so piece of mind knowing what little she still has left is precious!! Would you want some vandal doing this to your house if you were in the same situation as this woman? I know I wouldn’t! I would like to know that my house is safe until I could either rebuild of have the house renovated. To know that people are going around and ruining what little she has left is sickening. This lady now not only has to worry about rebuilding what she work so hard for for years, but also how to replace what she has lost and if someone else will be going into her home and doing more damage than what has already been done. I know that Yes this is Prince Rupert but come on…we are still human and should still care what happens to our neighbors and our community. Thankfully she has filed a police report and hopefully they RCMP will watch the house a bit more knowing that someone has taken the privilege of going into a house they do not own and doing more damage to it.
Really people…come on. I know the world can be a scary and mean place but to do this to someone in our own community. Give me a break. It just makes me sick.

No… its just Prince Rupert! Lot of losers and punk ass kids with nothing else better to do.
“Get off the booze & drugs and get a life and find a job”

It’s a horrible thing to loose all your possessions, especially if you are on your own
as I think I understand by the previous posts is the case with this lady.
I know there is always an issue of privacy, but if there is a need Rupert people
have always come forward with help. Has a trust fund of any kind been set up?
I would be happy to contribute if this lady is in need, as I am sure many others would be.

While this is a horrible situation for anyone to find themselves in and I hope that things resolve quickly for the homeowner, I agree wholeheartedly with Crazy Mike. While this is an unfortunate sign of the time in our depressed economy where self medication seems to be a norm, it is a similar story in many communities. With that being said, there are still far more wonderful, caring citizens in our community then there are people taking advantage of others. Prince Rupert and the people who live here are far more likely to rally around those in need than to kick them when they are down. I am fairly certain that when and if these people are caught they will be part of the minority already known to police.
As for the drunk kids comment, there’s nothing like a little bit of stereotyping to add to the negativity. Most the young people that I know are fabulous!

yes prince rupert is known for this, When i was in grade 7, our house burnt down. The fucking thieves went into our house and stole tons of shit plus the food out of the fridge.

That’s just ridiculous - Rupert is specifically known as a place where people break into houses that had a fire in order to steal stuff? I don’t believe that at all. I’m sorry your house caught fire when you were a kid, but if it really burned down, the food in the fridge probably wasn’t worth eating.

[quote=“guitargrrl”]

That’s just ridiculous - Rupert is specifically known as a place where people break into houses that had a fire in order to steal stuff? I don’t believe that at all. I’m sorry your house caught fire when you were a kid, but if it really burned down, the food in the fridge probably wasn’t worth eating.[/quote]

I agree you cant specifically lay blame to Prince Rupert for this problem

It’s a true fact, when our house was burnt down, people were rummaging through the fridge, took the food the pop and other things they could find when we were not around to clean up and stuff.

Rupert is a fucking hole, nothing good there any more. Lots of people collecting welfare tho right ?

[quote=“jase”]It’s a true fact, when our house was burnt down, people were rummaging through the fridge, took the food the pop and other things they could find when we were not around to clean up and stuff.

Rupert is a fucking hole, nothing good there any more. Lots of people collecting welfare tho right ?[/quote]

Your an Idiot .

[quote=“Speedy”]

[quote=“jase”]It’s a true fact, when our house was burnt down, people were rummaging through the fridge, took the food the pop and other things they could find when we were not around to clean up and stuff.

Rupert is a fucking hole, nothing good there any more. Lots of people collecting welfare tho right ?[/quote]

Your an Idiot .[/quote]

Can’t handle the truth ?

I have lived here a long time, people in Rupert are known far and wide for their friendliness and caring. I think what happened to you is very sad but it is not the norm as you state.

[quote=“jase”]

Right!! and…wrong.

A hole? Debatable. Lots of people collecting welfare? Undoubtedly. Nothing good there anymore? Definitely incorrect!!

Alright, all you sunshiney faces: a list of things that are GOOD in Rupert!! Feel free to sing along…

The natural surroundings:
Butze Rapids Trail - a little slice of nature in a manageable portion
McClymont Trail - right thru your backyards
Crab fishing ten minutes from shore
The view from the top of Hayes
You gotta take a FERRY to the airport!! How awesome is that?!?

The city:
London Fog and a pumpkin scone at Cowpuccino’s (Jud, you rock!!)
Fish n chips at Bob’s on the Rocks
Browsing thru the crazy stuff at Homework (Davey, you rock too!!)
The plethora of cool handmade art at the IceHouse and then paying the artist themself behind the till
Listening to Triple Bypass, Teazer or Ring System at Johnny B’s (always live music every week somewhere n town)
Coffee and a doughnut at Timmy’s with everybody saying hi and chatting
An updated Home Hardware that actually has all the cool Christmas shite they advertise on tv
Udderfest - seriously, a Fringe Fest in the middle of nowhere?!?!
An endless supply of rice - perfect for when I’m hungry and want TWO THOUSAND of something…
Seafest - party time

Walk on a boat and walk off on the Charlottes
Walk on a boat and walk off in Alaska (or overnight, and then walk off in Washington)
Walk on a boat and walk off on Vancouver Island
Get on a train and ride beside the river
Kayak the harbour and islands…with cetaceans
Canoe the lakes with trout, char, and salmon
Camp on a beach, in a forest, by a river, for FREE
The lava beds in Aiyansh
Hot Springs

So much to see or do…buy some decent all-weather clothes, turn off the frickin tv and DO SOMETHING other than complain.

Just finished my annual trek to Vancouver/Victoria to become an empty nester again.

Driving along I started comparing some of the places to Rupert. I am not sure if there is a location along the route that I would pick ahead of Rupert, except maybe Quesnel and that’s because of family connections.

A place is what it is. Because of the economy, we have had a particularly horrible last dozen years. But I really didn’t see a whole lot of thriving along Highway 16 or 97. In fact I missed the Spuzzum sign and looked for it on the way back. Where’d it go?!

Without jobs a community will suffer. Without a strong tax base, we can become a “hole”. But the people of the community can make up for that and I think we do.

Stumbly’s list is pretty extensive but he did leave out the Lester Centre. On top of the live bar bands and the Udderfest, we are very lucky indeed to have the local music, theatre, dance people that we do and a remarkable facility to highlight them and the touring professionals that come here.

And really, this website. What other Northern BC community of 12,000 has an online community this active?

Yes we have a great arts scene and I think quite a lot of talented people for a place witha population of 12,000 or so!

• Special Events that puts on Childrens Fest, Seafest, Winterfest
  • Sports and Commuity groups quite a following
  • Overall there is no other place like it, and hopefully the economy will pick up, but as DWhite stated it is not just in Rupert, the Whole North( EXCEPT for the areas like Fort Nelson because of the oil and gas) are not really thriving.