The nerve of some people in this town

I thought of some more:

The BC Dance Festival every year…that’s pretty impressive!
The All Native Basketball tournament every year…that’s pretty impressive, too!!
Playing volleyball on the courthouse lawn
Baker Boy cakes.
Opa Sushi.
Attending a wedding in the Sunken Gardens

You can play rugby, slow pitch, flag football, and hockey all in the same month, plus whatever else is put on in the Civic Centre.

Don’t forget halloween fest!!! I had friends when I was growing up that never went trick or treating, they always went to the civic for halloween fest.

There’s also the fact that you can walk anywhere you want to go in this town, in a manageable amount of time, and if it is raining, the bus system is awesome!

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]Don’t forget halloween fest!!! I had friends when I was growing up that never went trick or treating, they always went to the civic for halloween fest.

There’s also the fact that you can walk anywhere you want to go in this town, in a manageable amount of time, and if it is raining, the bus system is awesome![/quote]

You would walk around at 1am ? with a gun or a bat right ?

You would walk around at 1am ? with a gun or a bat right ?

Not in Rupert you don’t need those things

A good ol’ fashion technique that gives jacka**es flat noses. No weapons required. :smiley:

[quote=“jase”]It’s a true fact, when our house was burnt down, people were rummaging through the fridge, took the food the pop and other things they could find when we were not around to clean up and stuff.

Rupert is a fucking hole, nothing good there any more. Lots of people collecting welfare tho right ?[/quote]

I’m guessing you don’t live here anymore, but hang around the Rupert Forum. What’s the deal with that?
If you dislike it so much, leave it behind.

I feel pretty safe here. Don’t mind not locking my vehicle when downtown, or home.
Don’t mind walking at night.
And there’s lot’s to do here, unless you want to shop. There’s the internet for that.

Sure there is other places I’d rather live, but I’m pretty content here now.

Where exactly is this place where the streets are safe at all times and yet provides lots to see and do? Small towns are generally safer but usually you lose out on things to do and shopping.

It’s that whole “lifestyle” trade-off…I mean, the benefit of living only minutes from your work with no commute is enormous in itself!! When I think of people who want a small town lifestyle and drive over an hour each way to and from work, that just seems ludicrous. And they still pay $300K for a house that far from their job!! So then both parents must work, kids are in daycare, money flies out the door, family comes second to paying off debt…

I’ve lived in the big city most of my life and moved to Rupert 3 years ago. Until I moved here, I had never had anything broken into, vandalized or stolen. I’ve had to deal with this a few times during the short time I’ve been in Rupert. Sad, but true.

Also, from a previous poster, you are definitely a glass half full person if you consider taking that airport ferry to be “cool”! I think it is quite a pain!

So you’d rather fight traffic (depending, of course, when your flight is scheduled) out to YVR, pay thru the nose for parking, get cavity searched while standing in a huge line, walk a mile to your gate and then fly? And you’re supposed to be at the airport two hours before your domestic flight, right?

Me, I’d rather park across from the Highliner for free (or take a $5 cab ride!), get on a bus and relax out to the airport. Stand out on deck of the ferry, watch boats or the shoreline, and then sit down in the terminal and watch the news for a while. Or read a book. Or talk to my neighbour…or all three. And I’m supposed to be at the Highliner 2 hours before my flight…so what’s the difference timewise?

Sure, you GOTTA make that bus but after that…it’s pretty tranquil. I’ve flown out of YVR scores of times, given myself loads of time to spare and found myself running to try to catch my plane…cabs that don’t show up, traffic jams, self check-in machine screw ups, huge baggage check ines, huge CATSA lines, potty emergencies …

Yeah, glass half full. Maybe even three-quarters!! Not quite as overflowing as ajaye46, though…I don’t even know what’s IN that guy’s glass…

Just wanted to say Rupert Rocks just moved here from the caribou with my GF and the people here are friendly and helpful, Beautiful ocean, AND THE SEA FOOD, OMG! I have lived all over the country and no other city compares. You think its dangerous here? try living downtown edmonton and tell me all about it. The only thing I have had a problem with is constant employment. other than that this place is to me is almost paradise. Thanks PR! I am proud to call this place home.

Well Said :smile:

[quote=“jase”]

Your an Idiot .

Can’t handle the truth ?[/quote]

Truth! Truth! I’ll give you that truth you seek:

Today, I woke up and looked at my beer can. It read half-past drank. So I chugged back and got my day going. I headed down to the store and realised that I only had enough for some cheesies, no cream soda. Sadden, I headed to the liquor store and bought a bottle of Sherry 74. Needless to say, I am here typing this story for you Jase. Truth!

I did all this within a five-minute radius from where I live. Where else could you do this? Well everywhere nowadays, but whatever. Where else could you do this in the pouring rain with people who actually know you? My town, Prince Rupert.

[quote=“Uncle Stumbly”]So you’d rather fight traffic (depending, of course, when your flight is scheduled) out to YVR, pay thru the nose for parking, get cavity searched while standing in a huge line, walk a mile to your gate and then fly? And you’re supposed to be at the airport two hours before your domestic flight, right?

Me, I’d rather park across from the Highliner for free (or take a $5 cab ride!), get on a bus and relax out to the airport. Stand out on deck of the ferry, watch boats or the shoreline, and then sit down in the terminal and watch the news for a while. Or read a book. Or talk to my neighbour…or all three. And I’m supposed to be at the Highliner 2 hours before my flight…so what’s the difference timewise?

Sure, you GOTTA make that bus but after that…it’s pretty tranquil. I’ve flown out of YVR scores of times, given myself loads of time to spare and found myself running to try to catch my plane…cabs that don’t show up, traffic jams, self check-in machine screw ups, huge baggage check ines, huge CATSA lines, potty emergencies …

Yeah, glass half full. Maybe even three-quarters!! Not quite as overflowing as ajaye46, though…I don’t even know what’s IN that guy’s glass…[/quote]

I can tell you are a fairly unorganized guy who make simple things unnecessarily brutal. lol =.=’

[quote=“Huh?”]

Truth! Truth! I’ll give you that truth you seek:

Today, I woke up and looked at my beer can. It read half-past drank. So I chugged back and got my day going. I headed down to the store and realised that I only had enough for some cheesies, no cream soda. Sadden, I headed to the liquor store and bought a bottle of Sherry 74. Needless to say, I am here typing this story for you Jase. Truth!

I did all this within a five-minute radius from where I live. Where else could you do this? Well everywhere nowadays, but whatever. Where else could you do this in the pouring rain with people who actually know you? My town, Prince Rupert.[/quote]

As if you can’t do this in other towns? Three dots for you:
[size=1000][font=arial][/font][/size]

You’re comparing the airport experience in Rupert to Vancouver, when you should be comparing it to Terrace or Smithers or a similar-sized town.

Actually, that wouldn’t really matter because all three airports basically only fly to Vancouver anyway. 50% of your local airport experience involves flying FROM Vancouver so I think it’s very relevant.

@PLA - interesting conclusion drawn from my post…not sure how you arrived at that but, whatevs. It was only my opinion based on personal experiences.

There’s always Hawkair. They pick up passengers at YVR-South Terminal, so you don’t have to deal with long line ups and walk miles to the gate. If your friend is driving you there, it’s good to know that short-term parking cost a lot less than parking at the main terminal. Worth the risk not paying for parking because Impark don’t usually check during the afternoons.

Plus always book a morning flight so you don’t have to deal with the afternoon rush hour, and avoid the weekends during peak days because it’ll make your life miserable. Friday evening is also a good time.

I recommend Yellow Taxi if you need a taxi, but if you’re not willing to pay the $27 fare there’s always public transit.

Good suggestions, PLA…I use Hawkair whenever possible to support the little “local” guy. I well remember the years when there was no competition flying from the north and how the costs skyrocketed and the service dwindled. Remember the $11 ferry charge each way and the $28 boarding fee that all had to be paid in addition to your ticket costs and how Air Canada insisted that those fees couldn’t be rolled into the fare? And then Hawkair somehow managed to do that very thing AND was cheaper than Air Canada? And then Air Canada magically could roll those fees into their fare AND dropped their fare to match Hawkair?
Yeah, that was enough to encourage me to support Hawkair forever.

But…they don’t take air miles and my flight schedule isn’t always flexible enough to choose the midday flight option, especially with a round trip and the costs go up when you mix carriers on the flip flop.

However, public transit ISN’T really an option from the south terminal as I found when I had to walk out to #2 Rd…and down to the bus loop. Should’ve taken the shuttle over to the main terminal and bussed from there. The Canada Line is now an excellent choice for downtown.

I’ve kinda hijacked this thread now and shifted it well away from the original post regarding the poor lady who lost everything after a fire…sorry about that. Hope she’s doing better; any updates on that front?