Teachers on strike poll

strike

Why would the strike be dumb? the teachers are not even allowed to vote on their contract its just imposed. Honestly the teachers try to do whats best for the students and at the same time get what they need. Whats the government done? used the students as pawns to get what they want really nice… Id strike!

They never should have been legislated essential services, it’s SUCH an abuse of that particular grouping of jobs!! “Essential” is to life and limb, which teaching isn’t. Education is important, but not essential…

And i think that is right. Education is seriously important. Like think about it if the strike is really long there going to take time out of summer and then yeah it will suck. This strike is an illegule strike, and why yes it is. The news said the strike might be a month. Then think about it a month of summer gone for a month of rain. So what now we are behind with tons of homework. I like school but yes I like a break to I can’t be in school all year. Well disagree all you want this is my opinion, and I disagree with this strike. I want to get an education. What about the grade 12er’s this can infect there graduation. Have you notices Annunciation isn’t agreeing with this, and the school in Port Simpson in taking any of it either.

Mariena I suggest you take a moment and talk to one of your teachers. Do you truely comprehend the amount of time they put in each day. The teachers are fighting over issues such as class size. I talked to a teacher the other day who puts in over three hours of work AFTER SCHOOL just to get all her stuff marked and to get ready for the next day due to the amount of people in her class. Class size also affects YOUR education. Less students in class means more personal attention from the teacher for YOU.

Seriously… talk to a teacher about whats going on. I think you might be surprised what you find out.

Mike

Private schools don’t have to strike with the rest of them, so Annunciation and Lax Kw’alaams Academy have every right to stay open I think.

I disagree with saying Education isn’t essential. How many dumb people do we have in this world right now? LOTS! How many more dumb people would we have in this world if there was a choice to attend or not? Millions more!

If all you are worried about is taking time out of your summer vacation, then you are obviously one of the lucky kids who has no problems in school, and knows everything already. I’d hate to be a kid that is already behind, and has to miss school, and then be farther behind everyone.

On the other hand, I know teachers get a crappy deal. They have to put up with crappy work conditions, and deal with sometimes more than 30 kids in a class. All it takes is ONE KID to go bazerk, and you are endangering everyone in the class. Most teachers aren’t taught how to handle a situation like that, yet most people think it’s up to them to fix the problem. I know a few teachers who aren’t happy there is a strike happening, but there is no other way for them to be heard, and they have to go with what the union is doing.

[quote=“Mariena”]

And i think that is right. Education is seriously important. Like think about it if the strike is really long there going to take time out of summer and then yeah it will suck. This strike is an illegule strike, and why yes it is. The news said the strike might be a month. Then think about it a month of summer gone for a month of rain. So what now we are behind with tons of homework. I like school but yes I like a break to I can’t be in school all year. Well disagree all you want this is my opinion, and I disagree with this strike. I want to get an education. What about the grade 12er’s this can infect there graduation. Have you notices Annunciation isn’t agreeing with this, and the school in Port Simpson in taking any of it either.[/quote]

The time off due to the strike doesn’t necessarily have to be throughout the summer. One could shorten the many breaks the students get. At the risk of sounding old, when I went to school we didn’t get Easter off AND Spring break. We also didn’t get professional days. Annunciation is a private school that’s why they aren’t participating. While the Port Simpson School receives funds from the Government, it more or less runs independently. I think the teachers should have the right to strike, especially after having an average of a 1% raise per year for the last ten years. (BCTV News, Oct. 6, 2005), as well as having their contracts imposed on them. Judging from your punctuation and spelling I can see why you want to get an education. :open_mouth:

studly wrote:

Well excuse me but I can write and spell but man im lazy right now. Plus I don’t have to type perfect for this, holy crap.

Legislating teachers as an essential service was a serious mistake. They do not provide an “essential” service to the public. It demeans unions to say so. I am legislated essential-it’s something I know a bit about. Having a teachers strike does not seriously compromise the safety of people’s lives, it just seriously inconvieniences (sic) them.

Teachers make enough money and summers off, vacation or make some more money under the table…

Im Glad its pissing rain

I’ve always been on the fence with teacher’s strikes, and now that I have a pre-teen in the household, it’s not helping.

Then again, I never recall teachers striking when I was in school, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.

Random thoughts;

• what are people doing who can’t take time off work to stay home with their kids? Specifically, parents that have kids too young to stay home by themselves? And even more specifically, the ones who can’t afford to hire a sitter or daycare?

• what are the kids doing that are staying home? We’ve told ours to spend time looking over the school work she’s been doing, etc.

[quote=“yngwie_69”]Teachers make enough money and summers off, vacation or make some more money under the table…

Im Glad its pissing rain[/quote]

You’re just sore because you’ll be making minimum wage at a gas station or something for the rest of your life.

This is a very open topic and I don’t think there is any right or wrong answers. Only opinions, my opinion is that teachers make a good wage, have summers off, christmas, easter, etc etc. The organization I’m going into only dreams of that.

However I don’t know all the facts so enjoy your strike :confused:

There is no reason in the world to think that our teachers are wrong by walking the picket line or saying they are dumb by doing so. They are fighting for a normal class size where they may try to address the needs of the students. By over crowding the classrooms they are never able to address the needs of certain students. Teachers aides and childcare workers have been cut due to budget slashing. The teachers have not had a raise since maybe when Adam was a foreskin. What did the Liberals spend with that full page ad that hit all the BC papers at the beginning of the week? If no one noticed these ads , then who is dumb.

Teachers get raises. But that’s not what this is about. Class size is the issue.

Teachers in “some” parts of the province have it pretty bad… I don’t think there is one class in all of prince rupert that has more than 25 students. My classes all through school were all that size or even more at times. It’s places like Vancouver that suffer the most from over crowded class sizes. I may just be ignorant, but im not sure what exaclty they are striking over. Maybe they need to make the public more aware of the issues that concern them. I can see how this strike could throw off someone with the tightest budget, having to find child care for their kids.

No, over the last couple years the class sizes have increased, I only have one class with fewer than 30 people. Thats how it is at CHSS anyways.

if we lost 40% of our student population, how is it that there are more students… or are did half the teachers in town get laid off?

Precisely. It’s not that the teachers want more money, it’s that they want more teachers.

As far as I’m concerned though, the teachers can take there time and strike for their cause. Theres no more snot nosed kids screaming, waking me up in the morning (I live by a school). That, and I know that the teachers wouldn’t go on stike if they knew it would overall ruin the school system… they want to make it a better learning environment for the kids.