Stupid Debit Tips

I F(&(&ing hate when you pay with debit and it asks you for a tip.
It drives me nuts. Specially when its not a restuarant. Thats another thing, tips are stupid. Why tip someone that makes more money then you? I think most people expect tips now. Im going to start twisting the salt shakers lid off now.

[quote=“yngwie_69”]I F(&(&ing hate when you pay with debit and it asks you for a tip.
It drives me nuts. Specially when its not a restuarant. Thats another thing, tips are stupid. Why tip someone that makes more money then you? I think most people expect tips now. Im going to start twisting the salt shakers lid off now.[/quote]

Most waiters and waitress only make minimum wage and in the food industry its less then minimum wage, couse in bc we have a new employment law The First Job/Entry Level minimum wage is $6 per hour. This only applies to employees with no paid work experience before November 15, 2001. After they have worked for a total of 500 hours with one or more employers, these employees are entitled to the regular minimum wage rate.
Now in the states minimum wage is even lower and can be 3.00 an hr or less. These people need there tips to make ends meat.

Now when you look at who is your waitress or waiter if there young they could be saving money for collage or university or they may have less skills and want to work instead of being on welfare. Older woman or men might not have a grade 12 education for what ever reason and have a family to support or a sick husband or wife or what ever. If the service is good tip if the service sucks still tip, just tip less.

I see your point but disagree. There are several other jobs that pay minimun wage to. Say Mc D’s, do you tip them? zellers do you tip them?

see your mixing up food industry with everything else. your right about MC shits, or any other fast food outlet. but when i go to the Crest or any other restranunt i tip. u must never have worked in the food industry other wise u would not be talking shit…stop being a tight ass and tip the waiter or waitres… :unamused:

Tip the server if you appreciated the service. Even if the food was bad, you should tip the server and say ‘do not share your tip with the lousy cook’.
My main gripe is that the kids in my town haven’t clued in that if you put in the effort, you get tips, and the tips can mean more than your wage if you’re good. Most of them just slam the food in front of you and act bitchy cuz they make so little.
Even my computer techs and serv reps get tipped often. Just for being nice and maybe showing someone a computer tip!

Unless you apply to those rules you make minimum wage. I don’t withold tips for bad food, I withold it for shitty service. Gratuities are a priviledge not a right. I’ve worked at big busy restaraunts, and I know what it looks like when wait staff are actually trying.

Reference the U.S., they have, in some states, something called a “server’s wage” where they are allowed to pay you less than the minimum wage because you can expect to make it up in tips, not that the minimum wage is 3 bucks an hour.

There is no excuse for poor, slow service. And especially if your server doesn’t even apologise for it. Big smile=big tips.

Yeah I agree with the debit machines set up to collect tips in weird places. The last one I ran into was at the new Beer and Wine store in Cow Bay. I was like WTF? This is a self serve store and I’m gonna tip the cashier? Not freaking likely.

Mike

I don’t mind leaving a tip if it is deserved. Actually I always leave a tip unless the waiter/waitress is completely an ass. I don’t like being asked if I want to leave a tip on the Interac. I think that it is rude and puts me in a position that I feel cheap if I say no. Like Cowpuccino’s for example… Its a great place, good people, Judd is awesome but I don’t think that what they do is deserving of more of my money than the $4 I just paid for my latte. The girls are cute but I don’t think that leaving them $2 is goingto get me laid. If I leave money on the table at a restaurant and then it asks more a tip on the Interac I feel like I have to explain that to the waitress so she doesnt think I’m cheap when I pay for my meal.

so,
yngwie, you’re an ugly, ill spoken, red headed gas station attendant.
and you’re a shitty tipper too?

quick, to the internet to register your disapproval of the way the world works…

glad to know im not the only one… i mean its nice when i dont have some change/whatever… but if i think about it ahead of time i usually have tip money.

A tale of two restaurants…

I went to the Keg in Victoria with a friend of mine a few years back. The waiter there was really nice–very well presented, polite, energetic. He gave us some really nice suggestions for appetizers and wines and stuff, but was never pushy. I really liked the level of service, and told my friend so. He responded by saying “He’s just looking for a good tip”

He got one. He earned it.

Menawhile, a friend of mine went to an all-you-can-eat sushi place in Vancouver. The service was horrible. The waiter was not very well dressed, he spoke very curtly to him, he was slow. When my friend asked him to break a $20 bill to pay for a $12 check, the waiter gave a pissed off look like he was asked to pull a dead rat out of a toilet. When he finally came back, he began to hand my friend the change, then at the last second threw it on the table.

He got no tip. He didn’t earn it.

But then after, he started yelling at my friend “Where is tip? Where is tip?” Then he said “what country are you from?”

This is precisely what bothers me about tipping. People seem to think it’s an entitlement. It’s not. The other word for it is “gratuity,” which means to express gratitude. If someone gives good service–which really is their job–they’ve earned the tip. But when someone’s rude, unpresentable, and gives bad service, they don’t deserve a tip. And we shouldn’t feel obliged to give them one.

Yes, it’s unfortunate that people in restaurants make so little, and that they count on tips to make ends meet. But that doesn’t make it my responsibility. Besides, if they do their job properly, then they should end up with plenty of tips.

Far from the usual bemoaning of Third World corruption, I think we should adpot some of the policies of gratuities.
If I were king I’d freeze a lot of public sector wages and allow ‘tipping’…
The nasty, sullen employee who feels their job is to dick you around may have a change of tune:
“Yes, sir. Here are the papers you need. And if you courier them they will be on the top of the pile. The regular mail is always on the bottom” ***

*** this is a genuine ‘tip’ for sending forms or letters to any gov’t agency!

forget e-mail. e-mail waits until the one tech in the department gets to dealing with the mails sent to those with 200,000 years of seniority and 8600 grievances to resolve before they can be forced to ‘learn e-mail’ as part of the job description…

This whole forum is very Reservoir Dogs-ian.

Mr. Pink refused to tip when they were all out for coffee before the job and he went off about how it’s not his place to feel sorry for the waitresses of the world. “Two words…learn to fuckin’ type.”. Big Joe gave him shit so he ended up coughing up his dollar.

I, myself, don’t have a problem with tipping. I don’t like the whole perception that you SHOULD tip these people but these people over here don’t get any just because of where they work.

I was at a restaurant in Seattle last summer and when we got our bill, the tip was already included in the final price. We were dumbfounded. Apparently it’s pretty common practise down there, but that’s the first time I’d seen it. How can they do this? We were pretty put off by the whole thing. The guy who was serving us was a bit of a dick anyhow, so we just paid for our food and ignored the pre-determined tip.

i work in the food industry and i know exactly what it’s like to not get tips! trust me, if you’re not making tips by the end of the night, you’re ovbiously NOT doing something right, right? if you go to work with a smile on you’re face and you’re making your customers feel more then welcome, they will definitly appreciate your kindness, and more then likely tip you!

i had a guy off the cruise ship come and ask me where the closest “beer store” was…i pointed him down towards “spirits of cowbay” and he asked me what he owed me… :confused: i told him “a nice smile” …he was more then happy! he told me i was the nicest lady he’s met through his whole cruise!! :unamused: it’s the simplest things that go a long way. i think the american tourists are used to tipping people, so as long as you’re doing your job i don’t see why you should go home complaining about not making any tips…

i myself don’t care for tips…but seeing the amount you made by the end of the day just makes you realize how many people you’ve made happy and satisfied.

tips to some people may be a piss off, and they don’t see everything behind why “TIPS” (these days) are mandatory…but like said above there are people in places that rely on their tips! …what is it? 10-15% off your bill? …that couldn’t be more then a $2 dollar tip off one meal?(if, just by yourself) …there should be no complaining.

I guess I’ve been living over here for too long, and have gotten used to getting great service in restaurants with no expecations of tips whatsoever.

I usually tip pretty good at restaurants, unless I get shitty service, or there was something wrong with the food, in which case, I tell the server the food sucked and to keep the tip for themself. Whether that actually happens or not, I don’t know.

What pisses me off about leaving a tip… is that when I’m in a large group, unless the bill is separated, I give my amount, plus my tip to a person to pay, and my tip never gets added as an extra, it always goes towards someone else’s meal. I’ve been out with a party of 8 before, the bill was over $180, so I gave the person my bill plus my tip, (bill was for $18, tip was $5 or so) and they ended up handing over $183! So my tip money went to someone else’s meal, and anyone else that tipped, ended up with the same deal. The serving staff worked their butt off, and the food was awesome… so I could never figure out why they didn’t tip at all, until I went out with them again and realized they just never tip.

What about at Panago? I don’t mind tipping for delivery. But when I go down to the store to save myself ten percent and then the debit machine asks for a tip.

The rules for tipping that I was raised on from the good old days, is that you never tip an owner, and if you were satified with the service tip 5-10% of you bill, depending on the service. I’m pretty sure at Cowpuccinos they make something like $10/hr, quite a bit better than minimum wage.

As for directing tips to a particular server, I’m pretty sure that won’t do any good. If memory serves me correctly, the government requires all servers to pool their tips. Whoever is in charge of payroll has to then take the appropriate amount of tax out of the tips and then divy them up equally among the staff.

At least, that’s what I’ve heard, though that might be some other province. Cna anyone confirm if this is true or not?

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]As for directing tips to a particular server, I’m pretty sure that won’t do any good. If memory serves me correctly, the government requires all servers to pool their tips. Whoever is in charge of payroll has to then take the appropriate amount of tax out of the tips and then divy them up equally among the staff.

At least, that’s what I’ve heard, though that might be some other province. Cna anyone confirm if this is true or not?[/quote]

If that was the case, I can see why so many waitresses/waiters don’t care how their service is… they’ll get tips anyways.