Speed Sign On McBride Street/Park Ave

Was wondering if any one else has noticed that the speed signs rarely work. I wanted to test it the other day so got up to 60 km and nothing.

Probably the film in the camera has to be replaced, lol

The sign works fine. It lights up every time I drive by it.

I’m curious, is there a specific traffic cop or is there such a role in our law enforcement?
I would suggest for them to hang out at the corner of 4th Street and 3rd Ave. “No Left Turn” at the intersection is rarely followed by motorists, I’m wondering if it would be easier to just take the signs down.
As a pedestrian, it’s a “frogger” type of game to cross most cross walks in Prince Rupert (don’t even get me started on the cross walks on McBride Street)

< / vent >

[quote="_lit"]I’m curious, is there a specific traffic cop or is there such a role in our law enforcement?
I would suggest for them to hang out at the corner of 4th Street and 3rd Ave. “No Left Turn” at the intersection is rarely followed by motorists, I’m wondering if it would be easier to just take the signs down.
As a pedestrian, it’s a “frogger” type of game to cross most cross walks in Prince Rupert (don’t even get me started on the cross walks on McBride Street)

< / vent >[/quote]

Yes. I would like to see that No Left Turn sign enforced by the RCMP.

[quote="_lit"]I’m curious, is there a specific traffic cop or is there such a role in our law enforcement?

< / vent >[/quote]

prince rupert has crosswalks? hrm i thought you just darted out from behind cars wherever you want. especially during icy low visibility conditions and then blame the shitty drivers for almost hitting you.

< / vent >[/quote]

When we were in Mexico they seem to have muncipal trafic control people that watch for offenders, give out tickets etc.Lets contract it out. Get some results.

As for the speed sign.I don’t think it tells your actual speed it just shows the speed limit when you go bye. I am sure one of you knows for sure! :smile:

The speed sign seems to only work when it’s sunny (no pun intended, it is after all solar powered haha).

And for the “crosswalks” on McBride, besides the fact that everything is very compressed (cars, people, businesses, streets), the major problems with those crosswalks are:

1. there is too many of them within a short distance, which would not really be a problem if this following problem would be fixed:
  2. none of them have any kind of warning (blinking lights) for drivers that already have to manage - other cars - jaywalkers - left turners (or are they stopped because someone is crossing?) - right turners - oncoming left turners - sunset in your face - darker than dark rainy days - etc etc

I find the whole thing risky and dangerous, especially when I see mothers crossing with strollers and you have the sun in your face, the rain on your windshield and a big truck on the left lane stopped without a blinker on… turning, not turning, someone crossing, no one crossing… But maybe I make no sense and this is a perfectly engineered 2nd avenue…

Install signals. On some high volume or multi-lane roads, traffic and pedestrian signals may be necessary. Audible signals assist the visually impaired. Countdown displays provide information to the pedestrian regarding the amount of time remaining to safely cross the street, which may help pedestrians make better decisions about when to enter, or not enter, the crosswalk.

Maybe we need some of these installed:

Ground lights are not that great, signals should always be in the line of sight (horizon). They should just light up (blink) the crossing signs… Anything but nothing :smile:

Oh wait…

What does a flashing green traffic light signal?

This is real SMRT! (insert sarcasm here)

It signals pedestrian crossing. Are you f*&^%$$ kidding me? Everywhere else in the world green means proceed/go, here in BC it means pedestrian crossing. WTF

I have been in every province in this country except the Yukon and last time I checked green signals go, red signals STOP, and yellow signals CAUTION. Why does it have different in BC?

First there does not need to be a crosswalk at every intersection and especially if that is one every 50-100 feet like in Rupert.
At the intersections put up over head red flashing lights with a push button to cross on all major routes. i.e. Mcbride, 2nd and 3 ave etc. This is a clear message across the motoring world. Flashing red signals STOP and then proceed with caution.
This way if there is a collision with a pedestrian the driver is immediately at fault if the signals lights where on. If the lights were not activated by the pedestrian, then he/she is at fault. Wow that was easy! (Hit EASY button now)
At the easiest part of this is…the wheel does not need to be re-invented, the rest of the world has been doing this for centuries.

Let’s start a new rally…We can call it “Pedestrian Crosswalks No More”. We can go on a snow only diet and camp out on McBride. We will not only save lives in the pedestrian crossing corridors of BC, but once they listen to our demands people will have walk a block to cross at the next LEGAL crosswalk hence a small walk burning calories. Safe in the crosswalk and healthier for taking the extra 100 steps. It’s a win win.

Now back to reality. It’s my RIGHT to walk and cross into traffic without regard for my safety or the safety of others.

I almost forgot…one last thing. On the corners where there are no crosswalks there should be fast food and marihuana venders that accept food vouchers, credit cards, cash, cheques and personal charge accounts so everyone has equal rights to this service…and don’t forget the BC taxes … Only in BC!!!

[quote=“fishin for life”]

It signals pedestrian crossing. Are you f*&^%$$ kidding me? Everywhere else in the world green means proceed/go, here in BC it means pedestrian crossing. WTF

I have been in every province in this country except the Yukon and last time I checked green signals go, red signals STOP, and yellow signals CAUTION. Why does it have different in BC?[/quote]

Definitely confusing, but flashing green means go. If someone presses the button, it turns yellow, then red. Flashing green doesn’t mean stop, does it?

Mig you are correct…the other poster is clearly confused about what a flashing green actually means.

Flashing green = Go

The flashing green light is always flashing green, unless a pedestrian triggers the signal to change which at that point, it would switch from Flashing Green to Yellow and then Red, giving time for pedestrian to cross. Once completed, the light would go back to flashing green.

IMO it makes much more sense to have a pedestrian controlled signal to blink green, then blink red like apparently all over provinces have (which I find hard to believe, because that just makes no sense AT all!).

The predestrian controlled lights are ALWAYS in green/go mode, unless triggered by pedestrian.

[quote=“fishin for life”]Oh wait…

I have been in every province in this country except the Yukon and last time I checked green signals go, red signals STOP, and yellow signals CAUTION. Why does it have different in BC?

First there does not need to be a crosswalk at every intersection and especially if that is one every 50-100 feet like in Rupert.
At the intersections put up over head red flashing lights with a push button to cross on all major routes. i.e. Mcbride, 2nd and 3 ave etc. This is a clear message across the motoring world. Flashing red signals STOP and then proceed with caution.
This way if there is a collision with a pedestrian the driver is immediately at fault if the signals lights where on. If the lights were not activated by the pedestrian, then he/she is at fault. Wow that was easy! (Hit EASY button now)
[/quote]

Um you are seriously confused here.

Flashing Green means GO, not Pedestrian Crossing.

The light CHANGES when the predestrian pushed the button…at which point Flashing Green changes to Yellow and then Red, while pedestrian crosses. Once crossed, the light switches back to Flashing Green, where it remains until the button is pushed again.

This makes MUCH more sense to me, then using a flashing red, which would cause people to stop at empty crosswalks.

BC has it right in this sense!

Compared to Ontario, where flashing green means “advanced green” – ie: same thing as a left-turn arrow. That’s confusing too.

it actually a great idea…we sould have more in Rupert actually…

the only one in the north west is by the AW in Terrace…you see someone standing at the signal button and you know change is imminent.

there are several interesctions on McBride where this would be beneficial. worst intersection in town is at chevron bmo.

NO they don’t have it right. The rest of the country and the crosswalks illuminated with lighting with overhead lights. When the pedestrian pushes the button to cross the red or yellow lights illuminate indicating to motorists on the road CAUTION!!! Slow down and stop. That is what the rest of the country has…so let me see BC does not have it right…So the red lights wouldn’t be flashing without a pedestrian pushing the button so you won’t be stopping for an empty crosswalk.

Pretty easy concept for even those who cannot tie their own shoes…

[quote=“fishin for life”]NO they don’t have it right. The rest of the country and the crosswalks illuminated with lighting with overhead lights. When the pedestrian pushes the button to cross the red or yellow lights illuminate indicating to motorists on the road CAUTION!!! Slow down and stop. That is what the rest of the country has…so let me see BC does not have it right…So the red lights wouldn’t be flashing without a pedestrian pushing the button so you won’t be stopping for an empty crosswalk.

Pretty easy concept for even those who cannot tie their own shoes…[/quote]

You have it all backwards and are barking your mouth off against smoething that is not even true!

Its as simple as this:

1.) Light flashes green, which means DRIVE THROUGH crosswalk = NO ONE IS IN OR ATTEMPTING (legally) TO CROSS. There is NO REASON why a car should stop in this instance.

2.) Light turns SOLID red, which means DO NOT DRIVE through crosswalk = SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY IN CROSSWALK.

3.) Light goes BACK to flashing green, which means DRIVE through crosswalk = NO ONE IN CROSSWALK…pedestrian has crossed the road completely.

Also, when the light changes from flashing green to yellow…the crosswalk signal to the pedestrian is still DO NOT CROSS, it changes to CROSS when the main light to the driver turns to SOLID RED.

Last time I checked - solid red means STOP…not caution or slow down or whatever you said.

No where in BC does a pedestrian controlled light change to JUST yellow or flashing red…NOWHERE. It changes to a SOLID red while the person is in the crosswalk…HOW HARD is that to understand?

All you are doing is confusing others and yourself with your very incorrect information!

[quote=“fishin for life”]

Universally across the motoring world the lights mean the same thing, so my point I am making is, WHY DOES BC, THE ONLY PROVINCE HAVE FLASHING GREEN ON CROSSWALKS. ?[/quote]

Coss we’re special