Skeena Floodwatch 2012

Riding the wave of excitement as I search the new stores in town for those items that bring deep and lasting satisfaction to my soul its easy to forget road closures. But, its flood season on the Skeena and with this rain saturating the slopes a slide could happen resulting in no food trucks coming to town.

So if you have money in your pockets go out there and shop alright. Make sure your home is stocked to manage a week of closures. If people with money get their stash now, then that might prevent a run on the grocery stores if a flood happens. People without credit can then continue to buy milk, apples and diapers as needed.

With money in your pocket now, do you have an excuse to be cleaning out the grocery stores if a closure happens later?

If you want to be reminded of what its like, Whitehorse just went through it. See “The Tyee” and the article called “Inside the Washed Out Grocery Store”. Lights out everybody. 1-2-…

Wow… umm there are ferries that come into rupert weekly that can bring fresh produce, milk etc. Now even if prince rupert didnt have a fucking weekly ferry there is an airport that can bring in food.

That’s why the people hoarding milk/gas/food are fucking morons and so is anyone advocating it… I mean seriously stupid.

Why hoard gas ??
Where are you going ?
Road is closed …
Never could figure that one out !

How do you hoard gas? Is filling your tank "hoarding’?

Best two out of three falls for the last carton of 1 % milk. :smile:

Heh-heh ++

I guess you’ve never heard of a jerry can eh? :wink: People often have a few of them and when every idiot in town fills theirs the gas stations run out of gas for those who actually need to use it until the road is reopened.

But seriously folks, there is a lot of water coming off those mountains. And the river runs high. Road closures have happened in the past and will happen again. It is scarey how quick we do run out of fresh produce, milk and eggs but really nobody has starved because of a road closure here yet.

Last time it happened, CBC gave such an alarmed report of it, my kids down south all called me to see if I was deprived and if they should mount a rescue campaign.

Speaking of milk, does anyone know if Safeway has discontinued the organic milk product or if it just ran out? Guess I could call them about that. So I guess the better question is: does anyone else in town sell organic 1% milk (if Safeway is no longer going to bring it in)?

[quote=“gunnar”]But seriously folks, there is a lot of water coming off those mountains. And the river runs high. Road closures have happened in the past and will happen again. It is scarey how quick we do run out of fresh produce, milk and eggs but really nobody has starved because of a road closure here yet.

Last time it happened, CBC gave such an alarmed report of it, my kids down south all called me to see if I was deprived and if they should mount a rescue campaign.

Speaking of milk, does anyone know if Safeway has discontinued the organic milk product or if it just ran out? Guess I could call them about that. So I guess the better question is: does anyone else in town sell organic 1% milk (if Safeway is no longer going to bring it in)?[/quote]

Prince Rupert is pretty much the last community that will ever have to be worried about food being cut off. The airport would have to be destroyed, the ferries all sink, the road flood, the helicopter pads all be destroyed and a tsunami take out all of the fishing boats. If that all happens at once then there’s a reason to be worried but I hear from a pretty good source that you can live for quite some time without milk/eggs/gasoline. I hear there’s plenty of rain, deer, wolves, stray cats, stray dogs, pet cats, pet dogs, and little kids that you could drink/eat for sustenance until help arrives.

Just found out Zombie Preparedness Week was in May! I saw the video at B.C. Emergency Info Zombies. They say know the risks, have a plan, and create an emergency kit. Prepare for a zombie apocalypse.

When the road closed last time for however long that was, panic did ensue here, whether necessary or not and whether the radio played it up or down. The gas station downtown looked like a bumper cars lot at a carnival and there was a run on groceries.

Our plan for next time is to manage on what we’ve got and stay away from the stores and gas stations. And we plan not to be in any line-up for food or other necessities either flown or barged in.

Prince Rupert is pretty much the last community that will ever have to be worried about food being cut off. The airport would have to be destroyed, the ferries all sink, the road flood, the helicopter pads all be destroyed and a tsunami take out all of the fishing boats. If that all happens at once then there’s a reason to be worried but I hear from a pretty good source that you can live for quite some time without milk/eggs/gasoline. I hear there’s plenty of rain, deer, wolves, stray cats, stray dogs, pet cats, pet dogs, and little kids that you could drink/eat for sustenance until help arrives.

I like kids …especialy with capers & butter, just a shot of tequila :smile:

Weeks of highway closures would be the best thing ever happened for the airport…

That’s because certain people of Rupert aren’t level heads.

[quote=“crip75”]Prince Rupert is pretty much the last community that will ever have to be worried about food being cut off. The airport would have to be destroyed, the ferries all sink, the road flood, the helicopter pads all be destroyed and a tsunami take out all of the fishing boats. If that all happens at once then there’s a reason to be worried but I hear from a pretty good source that you can live for quite some time without milk/eggs/gasoline. I hear there’s plenty of rain, deer, wolves, stray cats, stray dogs, pet cats, pet dogs, and little kids that you could drink/eat for sustenance until help arrives.

I like kids …especialy with capers & butter, just a shot of tequila :smile:[/quote]

You wouldnt happen to be a catholic priest would you?

The topic of concern would be ‘convenience.’ ‘Not quite enough’ product causes some people to get product, and others not. I couldn’t find milk and produce when I wanted it when the road was closed. Maybe someone else should answer to my toddler when he can’t have cereal? Good luck with that. Bring your ear plugs!

That makes all the sensationalist arguments that hoarding is retarded-invalid.

I’m pretty sure filling your shopping cart full of 4L jugs of milk is considered hoarding. True story apparently.

Also good deal on premium gasoline everytime there’s highway closures, but that’s if the 87 octane runs out.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]The topic of concern would be ‘convenience.’ ‘Not quite enough’ product causes some people to get product, and others not. I couldn’t find milk and produce when I wanted it when the road was closed. Maybe someone else should answer to my toddler when he can’t have cereal? Good luck with that. Bring your ear plugs!

That makes all the sensationalist arguments that hoarding is retarded-invalid.[/quote]

Well I don’t mean to try to tell you how to parent your kid it’d be a good time for a lesson for your toddler. Mine doesnt like it much either when she cant get her way but that doesn’t mean she always gets her way. Kids are never too young to learn life lessons. My daughter is currently learning cookies are not for breakfast, lunch or dinner but a treat for when she behaves sure theres screaming but thats life with kids.

My kid gets sent home from kindergarten all the time for beating up other kids, at home it’s the same - he bullies his 2 year old sister… he’s on ‘Medication’ but it doesn’t help…

So according to you guys, I just stop buying Milk & Cookies and he’ll behave?

Nice

[quote=“AndrewMorgan444”]My kid gets sent home from kindergarten all the time for beating up other kids, at home it’s the same - he bullies his 2 year old sister… he’s on ‘Medication’ but it doesn’t help…

So according to you guys, I just stop buying Milk & Cookies and he’ll behave?

Nice[/quote]

Umm what?

How does a toddler learning to cope without cereal in the event milk is unavailable correlate to your kids bullying problem? Anyway although it likely would have no effect on the situation at all I would stop buying cookies/any other treats because he sure as hell doesnt deserve them.

Again, not criticizing, just saying. Good luck with the kiddo… but what you said makes no sense.

OMG hasn’t anyone ever heard of powdered milk?

No Never!!!

Time to start hoarding milk and gas!

Skeena is going to break 10 metres today.

http://i.eho.st/ppz9w4r1.png

Or you know,don’t hoard, 'cause there won’t be a shortage even if the road is closed.